Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times

Advertisements

I know some are going to say it’s nothing, but even though I left the Bay Area, San Francisco was a place I told people about with pride.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/san-franc...230829214.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:01 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I know some are going to say it’s nothing, but even though I left the Bay Area, San Francisco was a place I told people about with pride.

It only was rated as a number one "super star" city in the context of growth. The fact that it's no longer experiencing exploding growth is a good thing (rents/RE has gone down, so it will produce fewer homeless, one can hope), while it's still a beautiful city. The photo at the top of the article was gorgeous.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:20 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It only was rated as a number one "super star" city in the context of growth. The fact that it's no longer experiencing exploding growth is a good thing (rents/RE has gone down, so it will produce fewer homeless, one can hope), while it's still a beautiful city. The photo at the top of the article was gorgeous.
"The rankings take into account new job creation, the cost of living and salaries, as well as housing affordability and access to broadband for the first time."

The report noted: “California’s usual standouts, including No. 24 San Francisco and No. 22 San Jose, dropped to Tier 2 of the index due to the high cost of housing and a strong negative shift in short-term job growth. This may indicate the outsized effect of the coronavirus pandemic on so-called “superstar cities.”

Old 02-18-2021, 05:40 PM

332 posts, read 220,353 times
Quote:

San fran was great in the 1980's

Old 02-19-2021, 03:16 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:

Interesting link .

I just got back (to the Houston metro)...earlier this month....from a 4 + month trip to SC, NC, GA, MS,, LA, FL, and a bit of VA, WV, and AL.

I noticed a lot of CA plates in NC, in both the Research Triangle Area and the Piedmont Triad area, as well as some in different parts of SC, some in Savannah, and some in Louisiana.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
The Milken Report is not the determiner of a city's "superstar" status. What a silly article title.

Another report released this week places SF 2nd in the world(after London) as far as investment desirability.
https://www.schroders.com/en/schrode...-cities-index/

So SuckitProvo

lol

Old 02-22-2021, 04:22 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
It seems that most people leaving San Francisco are still staying in the Bay Area:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...r-15955527.php.

When this pandemic is over, I suspect many will return, along with the usual slew of newbies who are stlll awed by the area’s cities, opportunities, and natural beauty.

I think the same dynamic is true here in NYC. Many have left in 2020, but most have stayed in the tri-state region, and many of these folks, especially the wealthiest, will probably return when the pandemic is under control.

You can’t keep a good city down.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 6,956 times
I've lived in the SF Bay Area for all of my 40+ years of life, minus four years at Davis. SF has always been a city that I avoid whenever possible. If I want bums, drugs, poop, impossible driving conditions, and nowhere to park, I'll just go to Berkeley and avoid bridge traffic. I go for Dreamforce and TrailheaDX (back when seeing people in person was a thing), and that's enough for me.

It makes sense to me that people don't want to pay $5k rent to live in that city any more if they don't absolutely have to. But as others have said, they'll probably be back.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:44 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
SF has self destructed with overcooked liberalism. But I still think this region has the best suburbs in the country in terms of jobs, activities, weather, and scenery. And unlike LA, the needles, poop, and crazy are more geographically concentrated. You can't drive through the Caldecott to freedom there.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Someone posted Realtors in Bay Area suburbia should send Thank You cards to SF leadership for spiring business.

The precipitous drop in SF rents reflects this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland