Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 01:37 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
You guys do know that both towns have a Chinatown right?
The OP apparently doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 05:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Chinatown Shop Owner Who Saved Woman from Robbery By Firing Gun is Arrested, Bailed Out

https://news.yahoo.com/chinatown-sho...163937062.html

You can't defend yourself in SF?

Didn’t he fire six shots in a crowd?
You want the Police to ignore it?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Didn’t he fire six shots in a crowd?
You want the Police to ignore it?
No, he fired at the suspects. Which is probably why the charges were dropped thankfully.

No charges for ‘vigilante’ Chinatown store owner who fired gun at Oakland robbery suspects

Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 PM

10,123 posts, read 1,026,513 times
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No, he fired at the suspects. Which is probably why the charges were dropped thankfully.

No charges for ‘vigilante’ Chinatown store owner who fired gun at Oakland robbery suspects
So the police did what they were supposed to do. No harm to the store ownr

Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Does that really matter here"? Of course; that's the crux of the story. To the police, it mattered, as was explained in the article, and the guy ended up in jail with a hefty bail set. The OP's comment comes across as trollish. Of course you can defend yourself in Oakland, or anywhere else in the Bay Area. Defending himself isn't what the shopowner was doing.

The OP doesn't seem to have read his own posted link. He didn't even know what city the crime had taken place in, let alone the details of the story. That's indicative that the OP had an agenda in posting the story, besides merely informing people of a news item.

Still, the case has interesting implications, especially for the hordes of people out there, who believe that carrying guns will help them stop crimes in progress happening to others.
But in this case the hordes are right. I agree San Francisco or Oakland is pretty much the same for this.
The issue I see is it might not be a robbery only, but physical harm to the victim. 2 on 1 is a dangerous situation. It’s not unheard of for the victim to be assaulted during the robbery or seriously hurt as a result of being pushed down and hitting their head on the pavement.
I have to ask Ruth, if you were the victim in this situation not knowing the two robbers full intentions, would you prefer no one intervene or have the shop owner do what he did to save you?

Old 03-05-2021, 11:18 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So the police did what they were supposed to do. No harm to the store ownr
uhh no, he should have never been arrested in first place. Most of the cops on the scene didn’t want to arrest him, it was just one captain that did.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But in this case the hordes are right. I agree San Francisco or Oakland is pretty much the same for this.
The issue I see is it might not be a robbery only, but physical harm to the victim. 2 on 1 is a dangerous situation. It’s not unheard of for the victim to be assaulted during the robbery or seriously hurt as a result of being pushed down and hitting their head on the pavement.
I have to ask Ruth, if you were the victim in this situation not knowing the two robbers full intentions, would you prefer no one intervene or have the shop owner do what he did to save you?
I don't know who's right; the police captain raised a point. I don't know if a case like this has ever gone to court anywhere in the US or CA, or how other police precincts handle it. Suddenly, it throws this type of situation into question. It might not be a bad idea to examine the issues involved (I mean--for legal systems to consider such cases).

The charges were dropped, according to a recent update, so that tells us something. But the case raises a number of sticky questions, broader questions, about the use of lethal force by citizens not personally threatened in a situation.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
I believe that you should have the right to protect others as well as yourself from grave danger with a firearm if that is what is required.
In fact I feel that we should follow the same rules as police officers.

That said I wonder if he was in a good “shooting lane” or zone if you may.
They seemed to leave that out of the description.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I believe that you should have the right to protect others as well as yourself from grave danger with a firearm if that is what is required.
In fact I feel that we should follow the same rules as police officers.

That said I wonder if he was in a good “shooting lane” or zone if you may.
They seemed to leave that out of the description.
Well, this case seems pretty cut-and-dried, except for the point the police captain raised. But a robbery was going on in a store right in front of the owner, though he wasn't directly involved (until he involved himself). That's straightforward. But there can be situations that evolve out in public, on the street or wherever. that (armed) witnesses could misjudge. Not every situation is so straightforward. Do we really want untrained citizens acting in lieu of the police? Does the law even allow for that? I don't know that it does. People seem to assume that it does, but here we have an instance in which a police captain disagreed. I think this is an important question to clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland