Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the $1.1 Million Asking Price for this House?
Overpriced 6 66.67%
Fair 3 33.33%
Underpriced 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:40 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

I'm always looking at homes for sale in Oakland and this one in West Oakland is on the market for $1.1 million---a few years ago, I would have balked at this price but now I'm thinking it's a reasonable price. Any thoughts?

https://www.estately.com/listings/info/1610-14th-st--8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Interesting, not far from where my father grew up. Nice house but no way would I pay any price to live in that area, I'm betting it will be sold to a foreign investor as rentals. Definitely would be worth that price if in Montclair, Rockridge or even Dimond District.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
You don't get a major traffic benefit vs further out because of Bay Bridge toll traffic...and a life on BART is a life not worth living. Rather than dodge bullets, poop, and encampments, can get a 3BR house in a much better neighborhood the other side of the Caldecott for the same price.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:43 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You don't get a major traffic benefit vs further out because of Bay Bridge toll traffic...and a life on BART is a life not worth living. Rather than dodge bullets, poop, and encampments, can get a 3BR house in a much better neighborhood the other side of the Caldecott for the same price.
You can do that in the E Richmond hills, or possibly even El Cerrito, and stay in the cool, foggy zone.

It's a nice house, but 1.1 mill is too much for a 3000 sq. ft. lot (and in that location). And they say it has a potential rental on the ground floor, but they don't show you that. So they're using that to justify part of the high price, it seems.

This reminds me of the listing that was posted here a few years ago, of a nicely-refurbished 2-story home that was very grand on the inside, and had a decent-sized lot, but it was down in a sketchy part of San Pablo in Berkeley, an area that clearly had a long way to go before gentrification. I forget how much they wanted for it; over 1.5 mill, I think. Do you remember that one, OP?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-15-2021 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 12:41 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,499,635 times
Seems questionable. Is it to be converted back to a duplex before sale is final? Is there a tenant? West Oakland is a dump and I wouldn't live there for half that price. Real estate in my part of Richmond is way cheaper than that, and while West Oakland may be a little closer to SF, the "better" location doesn't justify the price. You can't even walk down the street at night over there, unlike here.

If you are looking to spend $1.1 million on a duplex, you might as well aim high and grab this place in El Cerrito: https://www.estately.com/listings/in...a-clara-avenue

Old 04-15-2021, 12:57 PM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I’m going to say that it’s fairly priced, based on the current (seller’s) market conditions.
(I can feel all of the rocks, bottles and shoes being thrown at me now! Haha!!)

West Oakland is a rough area, but Bay Area real estate has been soaring. Low inventory, low interest rates, soaring stock market allowing buyers large down payments, etc. are some of the factors.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I’m going to say that it’s fairly priced, based on the current (seller’s) market conditions.
(I can feel all of the rocks, bottles and shoes being thrown at me now! Haha!!)

West Oakland is a rough area, but Bay Area real estate has been soaring. Low inventory, low interest rates, soaring stock market allowing buyers large down payments, etc. are some of the factors.
It's still a nice home on a postage-stamp-sized lot in a bad area. Are buyers desperate enough to pay that price? Stay tuned for further developments.

OP, give us an update, please, when it sells. We'll probably all be shocked. But seriously, who wants to live that close to your neighbors in a sketchy area? The house around San Pablo a few years ago at least had a spacious lot to it and an iron fence around it, IIRC.

Good topic, though.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:49 PM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
Yes, let’s see what happens. The interior looks to be in pretty good shape, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's still a nice home on a postage-stamp-sized lot in a bad area. Are buyers desperate enough to pay that price? Stay tuned for further developments.

OP, give us an update, please, when it sells. We'll probably all be shocked. But seriously, who wants to live that close to your neighbors in a sketchy area? The house around San Pablo a few years ago at least had a spacious lot to it and an iron fence around it, IIRC.

Good topic, though.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Yes, let’s see what happens. The interior looks to be in pretty good shape, though.
Yup. And they updated the bathrooms, and did a nice paint job, except for that bright red wall downstairs. Will someone please tell me WHY RE agents and some sellers want a bright red wall in the living room or kitchen? Besides owners who are Chinese and follow Feng shui principles, I can't imagine how that could be considered attractive.

Also notice the pocket doors between the main rooms downstairs. Some people really love details like that. 4 bedrooms, too. That would fit a large family.

it looks like the type of location, though, where you'd have to worry about your own neighbors robbing you, while you were away on vacation. I had a supervisor at a job in Seattle, to whom that happened every year he and his wife went on vacation. Even when they got a house-sitter, it happened. But he insisted on keeping the "Martin Luther King Jr. Way" address, even though his wife wanted to move.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,019,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
So very true especially if you must use BARF or stay in gridlock in the SF/Baybridge maze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland