Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 10,253 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I read here several times that the Lake Merritt area of Oakland should be pretty ok. Which area around the Lake Merritt is ok? Or more specific, is E 23rd St between Park Blvd and 14th Ave still considered Lake Merritt area? Does anybody have some information/recommendations or an oppinion about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 AM

50 posts, read 306,331 times
Default Lake Merritt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMark666 View Post
Hi,

I read here several times that the Lake Merritt area of Oakland should be pretty ok. Which area around the Lake Merritt is ok? Or more specific, is E 23rd St between Park Blvd and 14th Ave still considered Lake Merritt area? Does anybody have some information/recommendations or an oppinion about this area?
MMark666 if you enjoy crime move to Oakland. You would be better off living in San Leandro or Alameda than any part off Oakland. The new mayor will do nothing to improve the crime rate. I have worked in Oakland for 28 years and will be glad when I finally leave this area when my work moves east to Lathrop later this year. If you insist on living in Oakland try north Oakland in the Rockridge area near the Berkekley border. It is much better than near downtown. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 PM

111 posts, read 275,584 times
Lathrop aint no cup of tea.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:42 AM

You can't compare Oakland to Lathrop. Oakland is city and Lathrop is country. I don't live in Lathrop but where I will be working will be much safer than where I currently work in Oakland. Have you ever heard of 'Acorn Village'? Mrvgs.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:11 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
I live Downtown and its not bad. The lake area is nice. Dont be scared off by paranoid people. If you live in any major city there is crime. People kill to live in Manhatten. I've lived in Manhatten (Not Harlem) and saw more murder there than here. Yet people are willing to live check to check just to live there.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM

111 posts, read 275,584 times
Lathrop may be country but dont let your false sense of culture from living in the city fool you. The central valley specifically the 209 area code has more stolen cars than anywhere in northern california. Meth is huge, illegal immigrants are rampant, and tax dollars are low. Lathrop cant even afford a police force, the sherriffs have to come in.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Oakland

Like I said ever hear of Acorn Village? Just the other side of the freeway from downtown. Why would you mislead this person to want to move to Oakland
in that area. You will be better off on the east side of 580 in the lower Piedmont area. Try looking on streets like Linda, Olive, and some other streets of of Piedmont blvd. The rents would be comparative but the area is 10 times better. Lower Piedmont is better than the lake. North Oakland rear Rockridge bart is also 10 times better. Stay away from the lake area. All of downtown from Broadway to the lake is dirty and just not as nice as the other east side of the freeway. Also I have a friend who lives on 88th ave who is here legally but has friends who are illegal. Oh yea the murder rate in Oakland was higher in 06 than in 05. It just gets higher every year. Please
don't make Oakland something it's not. It sucks. Plain and simple.
mrvgs.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvgs View Post
Like I said ever hear of Acorn Village? Just the other side of the freeway from downtown. Why would you mislead this person to want to move to Oakland
in that area. You will be better off on the east side of 580 in the lower Piedmont area. Try looking on streets like Linda, Olive, and some other streets of of Piedmont blvd. The rents would be comparative but the area is 10 times better. Lower Piedmont is better than the lake. North Oakland rear Rockridge bart is also 10 times better. Stay away from the lake area. All of downtown from Broadway to the lake is dirty and just not as nice as the other east side of the freeway. Also I have a friend who lives on 88th ave who is here legally but has friends who are illegal. Oh yea the murder rate in Oakland was higher in 06 than in 05. It just gets higher every year. Please
don't make Oakland something it's not. It sucks. Plain and simple.
mrvgs.

The lake area is NOT dirty. When was the last time you stepped foot on oakland? Jerry Brown made a effort to clean up downtown. There are numerious new really nice condo's downtown. Resteraunts are great at jack london square. What about the the Acorns? What does that have to do with anything? They cleaned that area up anyways. Which prooves you have not been to Oakland in Years. There was the Acorn redevelopment project. Anyways that area was over 10 blocks from downtown. He would have to go out of his way to stroll through there. You sound like one of those people who are afraid of everything. Were you raised in the suburbs?

Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Right on, City Boy. I lived in Oakland for years, in the Fruitvale area. I had one problem in 11 years of living there, in what is not considered to be such a hot area. And, my problem wasn't a big problem, I just got biffed up a little by some punk-ass teenagers who are probably in Juvie now.

Perhaps, some people don't care for Mexicans. I do, they are very law abiding, family oriented people who've improved the neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 AM

35 posts, read 354,696 times
Default Lake Merritt area is beautiful

Don't be fooled by the naysayers!
I used to live on Orange Avenue ( above Lake Merritt) the neighbors were nice, it was clean and just plain lovely.
The Oak trees ( hence the name OAKland) are everywhere.
Tom Hanks was raised in Oakland and graduated from Skyline high school.
It's a beautiful place, don't take my word for it - come visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland