Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 12:56 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I always want to live in San Fran,is this a good time to move there?
How much does it cost to buy a small condo?studio/one bedroom in a safe neighborhood?
Can i get around without a car?
Do people still go to Fisherman Wharf?
How is Chinatown, are they moving out as well?
If you're a big real estate investor, I think you could pick up
a shopping center or a downtown office building for cheap.

I've been in the same apartment for a long time, so I haven't kept up with
what's happening in the rental market... but there are plenty of resources online
for apartment hunting.

Yes, you can easily get around w/o a car... in fact, I'd recommend that you do,
because parking is scarce, and cars get broken into, even in 'nice' neighborhoods.
Learn where the best bus lines are, and factor that into your apartment hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I lived there for a year (2022-23), left recently for a job in Washington state.
Timid Blue Bars, we hardly knew ye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 01:00 PM

11,065 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK. But I'm not sure I'd call anyplace south of the Mission "pretty close to downtown", but it's all relative, so ... maybe. But it's a good point about hills. OP, SF is known for being hilly. Some neighborhoods more than others, of course. The westside neighborhoods I mentioned are flat. The only downside is, it can take a long time to get downtown on transit, but there are express buses. Still takes a long time, though. Just not as long.
The 27 Bryant bus is a straight shot from Cesar Chavez Blvd. (formerly Army Street) in Bernal Heights to the Financial District. Doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Cesar Chavez divides the Mission and Bernal Heights, so it really is pretty close, unless you're going all the way to the Embarcadero.

There's also the 67 Bernal Heights bus that runs over the top of Bernal Hill and stops at 24th Street BART station. Total time travel to downtown excluding walking to the bus stop is about 15-20 minutes. Used to be a very easy commute, did it for years. Don't know about now.

I guess the MUNI is now called SFMTA. I'll bet people still call it "the MUNI."

I never liked going out to "the avenues" by transit. Took forever and seemed almost like a different city. But a lot of people live out there and it is pretty walkable and yes most likely more affordable.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:08 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Speaking of transit in SF, the city is crawling with Lyft & Uber drivers. I have had Lyft driver who lives in Sacramento and comes to SF to give rides because that is where the demand is

Old 06-16-2023, 01:15 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
The 27 Bryant bus is a straight shot from Cesar Chavez Blvd. (formerly Army Street) in Bernal Heights to the Financial District. Doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Cesar Chavez divides the Mission and Bernal Heights, so it really is pretty close, unless you're going all the way to the Embarcadero.

There's also the 67 Bernal Heights bus that runs over the top of Bernal Hill and stops at 24th Street BART station. Total time travel to downtown excluding walking to the bus stop is about 15-20 minutes. Used to be a very easy commute, did it for years. Don't know about now.

I never liked going out to "the avenues" by transit. Took forever and seemed almost like a different city. But a lot of people live out there and it is pretty walkable and yes most likely more affordable.
The Avenues are a pain, even on the limited-stops buses, but it's nice out there. But you're right; it is kind of a different world. In a good way.

I think everyone still calls it MUNI. So much easier to pronounce than "SFMTA".

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-16-2023 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I don't care for the "the avenues" on the south side of GG Park and yes it can seem to take forever on the bus getting out there....although taking a R (Rapid) bus such as the #38R can reduce the time some. The end of the line for the 38R is Sutro Park. Worth a visit......when it is a sunny day

Old 06-16-2023, 02:31 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention the wait times. The 27 bus only runs every fifteen minutes. The 67 bus is even worse, it only runs every 20 minutes.

Also if you look at this pdf map you will see that the 27 bus does not go anywhere near the financial district. It goes to the "lovely" 7th and Market area then proceeds through the Tenderloin to Russian Hill.

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...nt_pdf_map.pdf

Quote:
It is a different city. Downtown SF is a cesspool and the Avenues are quite nice.

Also the transit is more frequent. During weekdays the 38 runs every 8 minutes and the 38R also runs every 8 minutes. One will never have to wait too long for a bus. It is a 25 minute ride on the 38R from Park Presido and Geary to Powell & O'Farrell. It is a long ride but the bus waiting time is less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I don't care for the "the avenues" on the south side of GG Park and yes it can seem to take forever on the bus getting out there.
The Inner Sunset area on the south side of the park is one of my favorite areas of the city and the first one I would recommend to the OP. It is a great area for a person without a car. It has the N-Train and the 6,7,43,44 & 66 buses. One can take the N train downtown. One can also take the 43 or 44 bus to Forest Hills station & take the K or M train. It is only 12 minutes to Powell Station from Forest Hill Station.

Irving is a great street and has continuous stores and restaurants from 5th Ave all the way out to 26th Ave. On Irving I prefer the area from 19th to 26th for shopping and restaurants.

One can also take the 44 bus from Inner Sunset north through Golden Gate Park to the Inner Richmond neighborhood.

I also recommend checking out the Clement St neighborhood between 3rd and 12th.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
OP, if you're feeling flush, check out Pacific Heights and also Russian Hill. Fabulous views from Russian Hill, if you don't mind a hilly neighborhood. We had one transplant posting here years ago, who got a condo on Russian Hill, and absolutely loved the neighborhood! He'd post essays about it, verging on poetry. Everyone loves Pacific Heights, too. Very walkable. Has nice parks. The NE corner of it is not too far from Fisherman's Wharf.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
You forgot to mention the wait times. The 27 bus only runs every fifteen minutes. The 67 bus is even worse, it only runs every 20 minutes.

Also if you look at this pdf map you will see that the 27 bus does not go anywhere near the financial district. It goes to the "lovely" 7th and Market area then proceeds through the Tenderloin to Russian Hill.

https://www.sfmta.com/sites/default/...nt_pdf_map.pdf

It is a different city. Downtown SF is a cesspool and the Avenues are quite nice.

Also the transit is more frequent. During weekdays the 38 runs every 8 minutes and the 38R also runs every 8 minutes. One will never have to wait too long for a bus. It is a 25 minute ride on the 38R from Park Presido and Geary to Powell & O'Farrell. It is a long ride but the bus waiting time is less.

The Inner Sunset area on the south side of the park is one of my favorite areas of the city and the first one I would recommend to the OP. It is a great area for a person without a car. It has the N-Train and the 6,7,43,44 & 66 buses. One can take the N train downtown. One can also take the 43 or 44 bus to Forest Hills station & take the K or M train. It is only 12 minutes to Powell Station from Forest Hill Station.

Irving is a great street and has continuous stores and restaurants from 5th Ave all the way out to 26th Ave. On Irving I prefer the area from 19th to 26th for shopping and restaurants.

One can also take the 44 bus from Inner Sunset north through Golden Gate Park to the Inner Richmond neighborhood.

I also recommend checking out the Clement St neighborhood between 3rd and 12th.

I was on the 44 bus a couple of weeks ago. I took that bus to visit the deYoung Museum. Coming back, I got off the 44 @ 6th & Balboa and paid a visit to the Cinderella Bakery/Cafe......then caught the #31 bus.
I also like the Inner Sunset area......not the outer Sunset though

OP, the MUNI bus transfer gives you 120 minutes of bus rides on one fare. So, for instance you are going out to do some errands, you can rides as many buses as you want on the single fare you paid on the first bus you boarded, as long as the the last bus you board, is within 120 min of the first. Earlier this month, I used MUNI to travel to a haircut appt and then from there on a shopping errand. I ended up being on 5 different buses.....my Clipper Card was just charged for the 1st bus ride.....the other 4 rides were listed on my Clipper card....but, not charged a fare

Last edited by tikkasf; 06-16-2023 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2023, 03:42 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Not only wouldn’t I live there, I wouldn’t even visit there. But you go be you. Maybe you’ll get a deal on an apartment. If not, I hear you can just pitch a tent on the sidewalk for free, and steal whatever you need.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not only wouldn’t I live there, I wouldn’t even visit there. But you go be you. Maybe you’ll get a deal on an apartment. If not, I hear you can just pitch a tent on the sidewalk for free, and steal whatever you need.

Not hard to find negative stories about Georgia......the state you apparently live in now

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vate-cops.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland