Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 PM

287 posts, read 1,087,104 times

Advertisements

I guess I have a two part question, if you locals want to help me out: I'll be visiting the city in August with my husband, who will be tied up for three days with business. We're staying in a hotel near Union Square. I've never been to San Francisco before, so can you suggest some fun sightseeing things while there? (preferrably within walking or cable car distance of downtown). And also, it is safe for a woman to walk alone during the day? Not to be paranoid, but we currently live in St. Louis, so I've grown accustomed to the constant "on guard" feeling when out and about. Since I"ll be alone during the day, just wanted to check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
San Francisco is a pretty safe city, especially if you stay in the tourist areas... daytime is generally fine, and nighttime is only sketchy in certain spots (like Civic Center & Tenderloin). Try taking the cable car to Chinatown, and visit North Beach, Fisherman's Wharf & Pier 39, which are accessible by either cable car or Muni. You can also kill LOTS of time in Union Square, if you like to shop. I can give you some more unique suggestions, but would need to know what kind of stuff you enjoy. Have fun!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I usually go to SF by myself and almost always feel safe. But I stay aware. If I'm walking along a dark quiet street I walk along the middle of it to avoid passing alleys. (Since most streets there are one-way it's easy to watch for oncoming traffic.)

Last time I was there I went to the Mission Dist and ended up in this area that really creeped me out. There were some murals in an alleyway (NOT the ones that tour groups go to) and "something" told me to stay clear of it. I left the area and went to Noe Valley instead.

The suggestions Gizmo gave you were good ones since you're staying only 3 days. If you are museums junkies like me, though, then that could change your itinerary. The Asian Art Museum in Civic Center is awesome (and I did go there alone). The science museum (The Exploratorium, good for all ages) is an easy bus ride (bus 30), and you'd probably enjoy the Palace of Fine Arts beside it. (It's not an art museum but an architectural structure and it makes GREAT photographics.)

Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
You're from St. Louis? My partner is from there too and he says there ain't nothing out here like the Dellwood area where he used to live.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr_black View Post
And also, it is safe for a woman to walk alone during the day? Not to be paranoid, but we currently live in St. Louis, so I've grown accustomed to the constant "on guard" feeling when out and about. Since I"ll be alone during the day, just wanted to check
Sure. San Francisco is an order of magnitude safer than most large American cities, though standard urban precautions always apply. Just don't walk more than a couple of blocks west of Union Square into the Tenderloin (you'll be able to tell) and you'll be fine. Anywhere east or north into the Financial District or Chinatown or Nob Hill (a good climb - or take the cable car) all the way down to the Embarcadero is fine during the day - though on weekdays the area is very full of commuters. It can be hard to find a good place to eat lunch at lunchtime without a wait! Expect to see a lot of mentally ill homeless people along the Market Street corridor and the Powell Street cable car turnaround - they won't hurt you, but they can be unsettling to people who aren't used to ignoring them the way residents do.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:39 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
I agree with the others. From Union Sqaure, you can take a cable car to Chinatown and Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39. From Pier 39, you can take a 45min - 1 hour bay cruise.

If you're into shopping, visit the Westfield Mall (Nordstroms, Bloomingdales) at Powell and Market St. - at the end of the cable car line and about 2 blocks from Union Square.

The city is safe in the tourist areas - just ignore the homeless.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 06-28-2008 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-28-2008, 03:37 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,355 times
tip:

try not to appear to be a "tourist"

dont carry a camera out in the open [put it inside your purse or inside a bag] a person walking around with a camera is like prey to the pan handlers / thieves

dont carry a SF map in your back pocket like a tourist

try to avoid random people on the street that approach you, they usually want money

dont buy anything from those camera shops owned by middle eastern people, they are a bunch of crooks, and will say anything to make you buy something, they will lie to you.

also when you buy something, make sure you really want it, especially in china town, they will not let you return anything, not even if it's still unused / unopened.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
To add to the above post... don't wear shorts in summer, or you'll be instantly pegged as a tourist.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:50 PM

164 posts, read 606,961 times
A couple of places:

(1) From Fisherman's Wharf, walk west and towards Fort Mason, and then walk along the coast on Marina Green Dr and Marina Blvd - beautiful view of the water, and to the west, the Golden Gate bridge. Continue walking west until you reach the Palace of Fine Arts - it's beautiful.

(2) From Union Sq., take the MUNI (it's SF's streetcar/subway) to the Castro (on Market St). This is the gay mecca. Not sure if this interests you at all, but while some bigger cities have "gay neighborhoods", this is really one of the earliest ones (much like SF's Chinatown is unique in the sense that it's one of the first).

(3) Painted Ladies on Alamo Square - not far from the Haight, these row of houses are quintessential San Francisco architecture - Edwardian and Victorian homes. In fact, you'll see plenty of Edwardian or Victorian architecture in the Haight - you won't see anything like it other than SF (the opening credits of "Full House" featured homes in this area haha). Haight-Ashbury used to be ground zero for the counterculture movement in the 1960s, and while it still feels alternative (punk rockers on skateboards, inked up young kids, etc.) it's gentrifying - hippies-turned-millionaire home owners. But still worth a visit in my view.

(4) Union Square for shopping, but you'll see that the moment you arrive there at your hotel.

(5) Alcatraz. You'll have to book in advance (you can do it online), but it's worth the trip. The boat ride on the way there will give you great views, plus Alcatraz itself is pretty interesting. It's a half-day trip. They offer night tours, but the day tours in my view are recommended especially if it's a sunny day out.

(6) North Beach - have a drink at Vesuvio's Bar, where Jack Kerouac used to hang out, and pretend you're a beat poet (sort of).

I'm sounding like a tourist brochure, so I'll stop. Generally speaking, most of the "sightseeing" places in SF are north of Market St

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I love Vesuvio's. That's a great idea. Sometimes when I need to rest after strolling through Chinatown, or need a restroom (a big challenge in part of The City), I'll stop into Vesuvio's for a latte' and chill out awhile.

Right behind it is the City Lights Bookstore, owned by a "member" of the Beat Generation. It's very different, would definitely appeal to the liberal population.

In fact, right across the street on Broadway is The Beat Museum, if that interests you. It contains books and photos and all kinds of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland