Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

hello!! I'm in need of help!! I have no idea where to live in SF.

I'd like to live in SF and not commute in to work on the BART, I've read that the Mission district is ok.. kinda sketchy... As for the other areas I haven't come up with much. I'd like to live in a safer area, just not sure where that would be.

I'd also like to find a roommate, so any company's in roommate finding you could recommend.

Any help would be MORE than appreciated!!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Default ***

The Castro is safe and has everything. Try Craigslist for your dwelling needs.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Noe Valley - center of the city with lots of public transit to get around town without a car. It's on the sunny side (east of) Twin Peaks.

Noe Valley, San Francisco, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/noevalley

Last edited by humboldtrat; 11-16-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 PM

62 posts, read 250,078 times
I live in Glen Park, and I love it. It's a safe, family-friendly neighborhood that's still right on BART, so you can get downtown quickly (12 minute ride to Montgomery Street Station). It's not the most "happening" part of town, but it suits me and my wife just fine.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,607 times
I'd guess Noe Valley is your speed.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:12 PM

66 posts, read 212,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
I'd guess Noe Valley is your speed.

What neighborhood did you move from in Chicago? I could try to help match it up for you.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:40 AM

96 posts, read 309,430 times
SF is a sleepy suburb and no one lives there anyway. Anyone worth anything lives in suburban San Jose tract housing and weekends in LA.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNYC View Post
SF is a sleepy suburb and no one lives there anyway. Anyone worth anything lives in suburban San Jose tract housing and weekends in LA.
Absolutely! Just like NYC is a sleepy suburb of Yonkers and New Orleans is a sleepy suburb of Jackson, MS! That doesn't even make any sense. San Jose is one gigantic suburb (it's basically a glorified, oversized San Mateo) that has a downtown area no bigger than Walnut Creek's. Now that's what I call "sleepy!"

Please ignore what was said that I'm responding to for it could not be less accurate. San Jose/South Bay holds the tech jobs and is basically a dot com wasteland that will bore you to tears unless you work there and fancy nothing more than grabbing drinks near your workplace. SF is a bit more expensive, 1,000x more crowded, has spectacular food & beauty, will most likely be where you'll spend the weekends if you want to go out & have fun, and it is centrally located nearer to anything else in the Bay you might want to check out (like Oakland, Marin, Napa/Vallejo, the Peninsula). It depends on what you're into, but SF is the center of activity in the Bay Area - hence the title "San Francisco Bay Area."

As far as recommendations on neighborhoods, that all depends on your budget. What's your price range, including roommates? Will you have a car? Where will you be working? What type of atmosphere do you prefer: busy/downtown, upscale, yuppie-ish/trendy, quiet/safe?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
Who would recommend the Mission area? Don't move there whatever you do. Take the other poster's suggestions.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
I would NOT move to the Mission area also.

Nob Hill
Union Square
Marina
Haight/Panhandle
Pacific Heights
North Beach
Russian Hill

...are all nice areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland