Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

As two people that do not answer the phone between 8-9 PM on Tuesdays because it's NCIS night.... I understand.

I think Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill might be more to your liking -- mainstream shopping and chain restaurants, very nice place to be.

There is such a backlash at "suburbia", but a lot of people are failing to realize suburbia has become urban in it's own right. Sure -- it's not going to be the SF or NYC kind of urban. It may not have that high WalkScore, and everything you could want or need in a two block radius.

But I live in a part of Oakland that is as urban as any place -- and it doesn't have that either. In fact -- a lot of SF doesn't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
I think you're overreacting a little, alaskan princess. San Francisco may be known for being "progressive,'" liberal, green, anti-chain, etc, etc, but when it comes down to it, it's an American city just like any other...plus it's a diverse city, and you can find all sort of differing views on anything. Here's some info that might make you feel a little better:

-The Gap was founded and is headquartered in SF, no problems there.
-There's at least one Olive Garden in SF, and there are plenty of other chain stores, restaurants, and yes, even some big-box stores. Also, remember SF is only 7 by 7 miles, so if we don't have it you don't have to go far to find it.

We have plenty of commercial radio stations too, in fact I would say we don't have enough good independent ones (for my own tastes anyways). We actually have one of the largest radio (and TV) markets in the nation, and it definitely includes top 40.

Also, i personally know plenty people who live in SF who are interested in the same things as you. You won't be deprived here...except for Target, which is still not that long of a drive from SF. It's maybe 15 or 20 minutes south, in Serramonte.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:14 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Stereotyping is just what it sounds like....... believing stereotypes and generalizations. We can all give our personal opinions and "lifestyles," but really it's a city of almost a million people (4+ million in the greater Bay Area), so NOBODY will be truly unique or alone in their ways.

As for myself, I am quite mainstream in the context of how you described it - don't shop at The Gap because their stuff doesn't fit me right, but I like Macy's and Banana Republic! I also LOVE the Olive Garden (actually went to the one at Stonestown recently with my mother), I watch prime-time television nightly, listen to certain top-40 artists, and my favorite place in the whole world to shop is Target. So no, you won't be alone in your lifestyle, and in fact I bet we'd get along quite well. Don't believe the people who say you need to be rich/elite to live here, because obviously that is false or it would be a small town.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 PM

186 posts, read 475,252 times
hey there is a BIG old navy in san francisco and other 'chain' stores lol

Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
There is a Costco in San Francisco but there is no Target or Wal-Mart there.Also there are chain restaurants like Ihop, Olive Garden, and Dennys. But no Applebee, Outback Steak House, or TGI Fridays.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Well I don't know about that advice. It might be cheaper there but you can't put a price on personal safety and staying alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I don't think its as bad as you think but check out Oakland as well as surrounding areas.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
dear friend
i know SF well but it hard for me to make comments bek i cant tell where you are coming from.
your name says alaska but your profile is a blank. your style of writing is very much like many people i have known in memphis.
give me a clue and i can help.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:02 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
Are you talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear friend
i know SF well but it hard for me to make comments bek i cant tell where you are coming from.
your name says alaska but your profile is a blank. your style of writing is very much like many people i have known in memphis.
give me a clue and i can help.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
I think that many of the posters here have never actually lived in San Francisco, so listen to the ones who tell you that people are people. Living in San Francisco is a great experience and I think that you would fit in just fine. The most affordable "normal" neighborhoods are the Richmond District and the Sunset District. If you live in the Sunset you will be close to the mall at Stonestown (which has an Olive Garden...and a great J.Jill my personal fave...oooh and an Apple store). Sunset is home to many students because it is close to San Francisco State, and the area on Irving Street down by 7th Avenue has lots of great local restaurants and cafes (and a great video store!). AND you're close to the ocean. Best of all worlds if you ask me. Plus you can sometimes find wntire houses for rent for around 2500 a month (which in the Marina would get you a one bedroom apt) and it is a safe place to live.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:57 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
Don't worry, you will be fine. Grey's Anatomy is huge here, can't say I enjoy it though lol. Seriously, there's so many different types of people here, you will be fine, better yet you will love it here. Besides the high cost of living I rarely hear anyone complain about living in San Francisco. It's a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland