Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I can't answer for APtor, but I would say we have higher standards for some things, like aesthetics, beauty, fashion, etc. I know that's a stereotype, and I definitely have gay man friends who have no sense of aesthetics at all, but in general, I do think gay men have a good sense of beauty.

However, we have lower standards in lots of other more important ways. I know I'll get flamed for this by someone, but we really do sleep around a lot more than straight/lesbian couples do. I believe our relashionships really are more prone to breakup than straight/lesbian couples as well. I hope that will change. Unfortunately, I don't see that gay men (collectively) are really willing to own up to a lot of our problems. We're still stuck on blaming an outside enemy for everything.
Interesting and yes, you are going to get royally blasted, but I had a boss in Dallas that was also a good friend, he was gay, said about the same thing when it came to the gay, sexual life style.. My present boss, on the other hand, who lives in the bay area has been with his partner many years as have some of my favorite clients.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's not like San Francisco was the only place that did this.
Yes, I know that. I was just pointing out that SF hasn't "always" been a gay-friendly place, as one poster suggested.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
I think some clarification is needed. The fact that homosexuality was once considered a vice crime meant that the police could enter gay bars & harass people. This was the case everywhere in the U.S. [remember the Christopher St riot in New York?]. Because San Francisco has had a very large gay community per it's overall population is why these violations of human rights were well-known. Keep in mind, that Harvey Milk was the first openly gay public official in any city. San Francisco voted in gay people before other cities would even consider such a thing.

San Francisco is most definitely a "gay mecca" as it has been for decades. Gay people vacation there from all over the world. Just because Los Angeles and NYC have larger gay communities isn't because they are more gay-friendly but that they are much larger cities than San Francisco.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think some clarification is needed. The fact that homosexuality was once considered a vice crime meant that the police could enter gay bars & harass people. This was the case everywhere in the U.S. [remember the Christopher St riot in New York?].
And yet, despite Stonewall, NYC was more gay friendly than anywhere else in the US at that time - as long as gays stayed in a couple of neighborhoods.

Quote:
Because San Francisco has had a very large gay community per it's overall population is why these violations of human rights were well-known.
Actually, the large scale busts and mini riots that occurred in late '60s SF (and LA) are pretty unknown even in California - they're overshadowed by what happened in NYC.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And yet, despite Stonewall, NYC was more gay friendly than anywhere else in the US at that time - as long as gays stayed in a couple of neighborhoods.

Actually, the large scale busts and mini riots that occurred in late '60s SF (and LA) are pretty unknown even in California - they're overshadowed by what happened in NYC.
I forgot that it was called "Stonewall" [don't know where I got "Christopher Street"? But I don't think gays were more accepted in NYC compared to San Francisco. The Bay Area passed anti-discrimination laws to protect gays well before New York. The city of New York & the state of New York have been quite slow to recognize gay issues.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I forgot that it was called "Stonewall" [don't know where I got "Christopher Street"? But I don't think gays were more accepted in NYC compared to San Francisco. The Bay Area passed anti-discrimination laws to protect gays well before New York. The city of New York & the state of New York have been quite slow to recognize gay issues.
The Stonewall Inn, where said riot happened, was on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village.

The acceptance of gays in NYC was more along the lines of "they can do their thing as long as they stay in their neighborhood and make the right payoffs". IIRC, the Stonewall Inn was raided because they'd fallen behind in their payoffs to the cops.

Also, re: New York, John Lindsay was the first big city mayor to address gay concerns at all by meeting with gay groups - his SF contemporaries John Shelley and Joseph Alioto saw gays as a threat as did most of America at the time.

The resulting riots are known worldwide, whereas the similar and earlier gay riots at Compton's on Turk and Taylor and the first gay riot anywhere in the world, at the Black Cat in Los Angeles (Silver Lake), are very obscure even in California.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Stonewall Inn, where said riot happened, was on Christopher Street in Greenwich Village.

The acceptance of gays in NYC was more along the lines of "they can do their thing as long as they stay in their neighborhood and make the right payoffs". IIRC, the Stonewall Inn was raided because they'd fallen behind in their payoffs to the cops.

Also, re: New York, John Lindsay was the first big city mayor to address gay concerns at all by meeting with gay groups - his SF contemporaries John Shelley and Joseph Alioto saw gays as a threat as did most of America at the time.

The resulting riots are known worldwide, whereas the similar and earlier gay riots at Compton's on Turk and Taylor and the first gay riot anywhere in the world, at the Black Cat in Los Angeles (Silver Lake), are very obscure even in California.
Thanks for the historic perspective [you are a walking encyclopedia of information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland