Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 PM

205 posts, read 589,229 times

Advertisements

Lake Merritt is beautiful.

Lake Merritt is a focal point, it stands as the jewel of Oakland, even crowned with lights. A unique fresh and salt-water lake, the largest such lake located within an urban area consisting of 3.4 miles around the circumference of the lake, covering 155 acres of land. The depth of Lake Merritt varies upon how much water is allowed to filter in from the Estuary and upon rain water intake.
With adjacent and nearby parks and amenities to enjoy such as Snow Park where you may play several rounds of golf, walk or jog up and down the Cleveland Cascades, play a set of tennis at the Athol Tennis Courts, rent a kayak at the Lake Merritt Boating Center, read a book from the Main or Lakeview Library, or bring your magical keys to enjoy a whole new world at Children's Fairyland ~ the fun begins here.
Lake Merritt

Also try visiting the Rose Garden. Thousands of various roses.

Morcom Rose Garden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 30,698 times
the lake area is nice, but there are guns everywhere in Oakland, and thus bullets hitting your windows are possible.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktowndiver View Post
the lake area is nice, but there are guns everywhere in Oakland, and thus bullets hitting your windows are possible.

Where'd you get that information? I've lived in the lake area a while.
Do a crime search offered by the OPD and you will find little to no crime in that area. I've never heard a gun shot and people are out walking their dogs at 10:00 at night.
As for guns they are everywhere
Some other states even allow them to be displayed in public.
The crime in Oakalnd the media continually harps on is in the turf areas of East and sometimes west Oakland, so don't attempt to characterize the entire beautiful city by the bad apples who are unfortunate to live lives of crime and despair.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM

99 posts, read 193,833 times
I live east of Lake Meritt near the Parkway Theater and if my part of Lake Merritt is considered the seedier side of the lake, it says a lot about the general safeness of the Lake Merritt area in general. I can say there are a lot of hit or miss type places in my neighborhood as far as apartments, very diverse architecturally and sometimes that can be a bad thing, but in the few months I have lived in the neighborhood, noticeable changes have occured for the good. I grabbed my place for pretty cheap. $750 for a studio in a 1920's walk up building but I see rent has went up in some of the units still available since the property management changed. Anyway, I would consider looking in the Lakeside Apartment district. Never ending list of rentals in the area. Very structurally dense but mostly residential and lacks retail options in the area atleast in comfortable walking distance but still a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Troll

Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Hilarious! You just brightened my day.

Thanks.

(good logic BTW) Oakland + guns = broken windows. Thats a no brainer.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Wow! look at all the bullets flying! Don't know how me, being a photographer and carrying around money's worth of photo equipment ever got out of there with my gear let alone my life.

Then they shot at me again and I fired back

That'll show that thuggish fountain!

Visit Oakland and be fair when you do before you talk please.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Thank you, Gentoo. People need to get their facts straight.
Oakland is a beautiful city.
Did you know there were over 150 languages spoken here? And we are the 2nd most diverse city in the country.

According to the 2000 U.S. census, Oakland and Long Beach, California are the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States; more than 150 languages are spoken in Oakland.[5] Attractions include Jack London Square, the Oakland Zoo, the Oakland Museum of California, the Chabot Space and Science Center, Lake Merritt, the East Bay Regional Park District ridge line parks and preserves, and Chinatown.

Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Watch out for the heroin needles lying around in the park, I dang near pricked myself a few years back on a park bench.

Stay away from the lake after dark, lots of prostitutes conducting business and lots of people hanging out at the lake to get high.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Watch out for the heroin needles lying around in the park, I dang near pricked myself a few years back on a park bench.

Stay away from the lake after dark, lots of prostitutes conducting business and lots of people hanging out at the lake to get high.
Care to give a location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland