Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 AM

14 posts, read 42,420 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood just started getting tagged in Vallejo, CA down by the Heritage District. The street sign in front of my house was tagged "DM" anyone know what that means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 AM

126 posts, read 161,572 times
lol this is an odd question FYI most graffiti is not gang related contrary to media hype. Only the guy tagging and his friends probably knows what it means.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 PM

405 posts, read 1,346,062 times
Well, if it's in Vallejo, I certainly wouldn't rule out a more sophisticated element... it's not like the poor OP lives in Blackhawk. Maybe a call to the local police dept. would be worth the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM

902 posts, read 2,788,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
Well, if it's in Vallejo, I certainly wouldn't rule out a more sophisticated element... it's not like the poor OP lives in Blackhawk. Maybe a call to the local police dept. would be worth the time.
There would be no point in doing that, b/c the police are not going to know. It most likely isn't gang-related. what uptown_oakland said is correct, few people are going to know what it means.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Tagging is a word hoodrats who bastardize the English language use to describe graffiti. Personally, and I know this is a pet peeve of mine, I hate using bastarized versions of our language. It's graffiti. Period.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Bastardized versions of whose language? "Tag" dates all the way back to the Middle English "tagge," whereas "graffiti" wasn't stolen from the Italian until 1964.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Tagging is a word hoodrats who bastardize the English language use to describe graffiti. Personally, and I know this is a pet peeve of mine, I hate using bastarized versions of our language. It's graffiti. Period.
Yes, a tag is graffiti, but not all graffiti are tags. A "tag" is just a really quick "signature" if you will (the tagger/graffiti artist's name).

And i will third the fact that it probably has nothing to do with gangs. Probably 90% of the graffiti and tags you see anywhere has nothing whatsoever to do with gangs...unless by "gangs" you mean graffiti crews, who....you guessed it, go around doing graffiti and tagging stuff up.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Semantics aside, yes I agree gangs don't necessarily have any more involvement with graffiti than your typical, random delinquent.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:45 AM

14 posts, read 42,420 times
Default OK maybe I could have made this clearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjasenjo View Post
My neighborhood just started getting tagged in Vallejo, CA down by the Heritage District. The street sign in front of my house was tagged "DM" anyone know what that means?
I was hoping someone from Vallejo, would respond. My neighbors house which was just vacated a month or so ago is being - fixed/remodeled - down my alley they sprayed painted tagged a bunch of **** on his newly painted wall facing the alley. He had to repaint.

Right around that same time I noticed a sign in front of my house tagged on the back with "DM" my neighbor says it means dime meth

yes there are drug dealers in my neighborhood & projects down the hill.

So if this is just intellectual to you don't bother, OK?

I will email the police because you can not get a person on the Vallejo police force if it is non emergency - which is saying they don't answer phone calls at all. So to the guy who said talk to police I think I will they are just a few blocks down

Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Man Vallejo is such a dump. I don't know how it became such a ghetto hood in so few years. The city is being raped by corrupt city administrators, greedy social services (PD, FD), and being overrun by Richmond's Finest (mostly poor Afro-Americans).

They need to just close that city down and turn it into a landfill or toxic waste dump. They also need a fence that blocks the I80 from any of the filth going up North towards more respectable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland