Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
How's the atmosphere in Fremont? Is it laid-back with lots of ethnic foods and coffe shops/wine bars or is it like a large sleepy suburban/family oriented area with a few average restautants?

Someone mentioned there is no downtown so I am wondering what one does for fun in Fremont besides all of the outdoor (day-time) activities, of course.

Thank you!

"Large sleepy suburban/family oriented area with a few average restaurants" would probably be most descriptive. Fremont has over 200k people and covers roughly 90 square miles, but is basically just a big suburb. There are numerous strip malls and chain stores/restaurants. There are some good non-chain places to eat and I know of at least one good wine bar (Vida y Vino), but Fremont is mostly a strip-mall type of place.

Everything you need for basic every day life can be found here but it's just not an exciting place. The population is very diverse and most people seem to get along reasonably well. Community spirit is also somewhat strong, especially considering the large population of people who have moved here from other countries. People here do seem to take pride in the community, regardless of where they're from.

As far as fun goes, "Fremont and Fun" don't typically go together in the same sentence. You have to travel to other cities for that. Fortunately, Fremont is in a central location though to get to other Bay Area Places. San Jose is roughly 20 minutes away, Oakland is roughly 25 minutes away and SF is roughly 45 minutes away...along with the other cities/towns that make up the region.

Fremont is definitely good for outdoor activities, with many parks and hiking areas. There is also a relatively big lake (Lake Elizabeth) surrounded by a paved path. It's in the middle of Central Park toward the central/Eastern part of Fremont and it's a good place for jogging/walking. There are also BBQ areas and playgrounds.

Basically, Fremont is much more geared toward a suburban/family-oriented life-style. It is a nice place to live, if suburbia is what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 PM

52 posts, read 193,665 times
I have been researching Fremont for a while as a place for my family to live. It probably comes down to personal preference, but the only two places that appeal to me in the area is the Glenmoor neighborhood, and the Niles District. Glenmoor homes seems relatively well built, and there seems to be a strong sense of community. There are a number of organized activities for kids in the area, and it is a pretty neighborhood. The schools seem acceptable in the area, though there is some difference between upper and lower glenmoor.

Niles is very unique and quaint, seems to also have a strong community, and the elementary school seems good. I think community is very important for families, but that is just my opinion. I like that it feels like a real town with its own history and character, not just a random strip mall suburb.

The Mission San Jose area doesn't appeal to me. It seems like an isolated culture where people keep to themselves, which is fine but not my cup of tea. Quality schools are important to me, but as an educator, the schools appear to me to be competition obsessed and tending to teach to the test. I dont' believe this is the best way to educate children, but again, this is just my opinion. I also have not had a child go through the schools, so don't have first hand experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland