Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 04:41 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times

Advertisements

I am going to put in my two cents on marijuana.

There is no basis for marijuana being illegal in the first place. It is the same thing for professional adults who go out to the bar to have drinks (many of whom get absolutely trashed); as some like to drink, other people like to have a smoke. Anybody with a little bit of common sense would know that smoking marijuana is less hazardous to your health than drinking in just about every way that you look at it. In fact it has many benefits. Don't give this crap about, "it causes cancer." Who really cares, now-a-days anything and everything causes cancer. And if that is the sole basis of it being illegal than what the hell are cigarettes legal for? Those are WAY more cancerous than weed. Also there are plenty of ways to consume marijuana other than joints and blunts (the only two ways people smoke it that can cause cancer). Plus you smoke weed less often then one would smoke cigarettes. Anyhow I am rambling a bit, but to sum it up........Marijuana effects everyone differently. Some people can handle it and be as normal as the next guy without it effecting their performance in life, and others absolutely can't stand it and get really paranoid. Why not let those that can handle it, consume it legally. If its legal or illegal it will still be the same way, people who like it will consume it and the ones who don't, won't. Simple enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Marijuana effects everyone differently. Some people can handle it and be as normal as the next guy without it effecting their performance in life, and others absolutely can't stand it and get really paranoid. Why not let those that can handle it, consume it legally.
There's people who use it as a natural way to relieve anxiety too. For the people I know who use it that way, it mellows them and allows them to function in a "normal" manner. That's just the way it affects them.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
There's people who use it as a natural way to relieve anxiety too. For the people I know who use it that way, it mellows them and allows them to function in a "normal" manner. That's just the way it affects them.
Very true, it can act a natural anti-depressant/anti-anxiety for many people without the side-effects of other anti-depressant meds out there right now.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 AM

814 posts, read 670,235 times
To answer your question if you live in the bay there's a haze even on a clear day. Does everyone smoke? Hardly but a large group of people in there 20's transplant here like crazy to be in a more free society regardless of their intentions of smoking weed. The nightlife scene is one of the best in the country for any style of music lover. If your looking to find like minded individuals get out and try something new. Join a class in kung fu,poetry reading,mtn biking club,take yoga,car club,hooters chicken wing contest, monte carlo bowling,cooking class,art class, know what I mean? get out of your comfort zone some more and dare I say? experiment. Even if you met some guys at a bar that didn't smoke are you going to ask them for their digits? There are so many outlets,organizations,clubs,forums in the bay it's not even funny!

As for marijuana.....I think most would agree that like minded people hang out with each other. Rarely do you see weed smokers hanging out with drinkers and vice versa. It's just a different state of mind unless we're talking wino's If people in Cali know what's good for them they will legalize it fully. We are in record debt levels and the tech industry is moving off the continent not to mention the real estate is half of what it was a few years ago. The tax money is the biggest factor in legalizing marijuana. Why drive it underground when you can tax it? Prohibition ended with the Great Depression and some would say it also saved it. Another real positive is by decriminalizing it there are far fewer people tying up the court systems!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
To answer your question if you live in the bay there's a haze even on a clear day. Does everyone smoke? Hardly but a large group of people in there 20's transplant here like crazy to be in a more free society regardless of their intentions of smoking weed. The nightlife scene is one of the best in the country for any style of music lover. If your looking to find like minded individuals get out and try something new. Join a class in kung fu,poetry reading,mtn biking club,take yoga,car club,hooters chicken wing contest, monte carlo bowling,cooking class,art class, know what I mean? get out of your comfort zone some more and dare I say? experiment. Even if you met some guys at a bar that didn't smoke are you going to ask them for their digits? There are so many outlets,organizations,clubs,forums in the bay it's not even funny!

As for marijuana.....I think most would agree that like minded people hang out with each other. Rarely do you see weed smokers hanging out with drinkers and vice versa. It's just a different state of mind unless we're talking wino's If people in Cali know what's good for them they will legalize it fully. We are in record debt levels and the tech industry is moving off the continent not to mention the real estate is half of what it was a few years ago. The tax money is the biggest factor in legalizing marijuana. Why drive it underground when you can tax it? Prohibition ended with the Great Depression and some would say it also saved it. Another real positive is by decriminalizing it there are far fewer people tying up the court systems!
"hooters chicken wing contest" I think the OP is a woman but none-the-less that is a good suggestion. Actually, people who drink can and many times are around those smoking marijuana. Just stand outside a club or bar where the smokers congregate and the smell of marijuana fills the air.

But thanks for bringing the discussion back to the original question. The OP specifically requested that this thread not be used to debate the legality or benefits of marijuana. Your suggestions are right on!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 PM

814 posts, read 670,235 times
oops! Good thing my suggestions are still applicable for a woman...give or take a chicken wing or two!

As for standing outside a bar where smokers congregate I think it's probably hit n' miss. If your in Berkeley or the Haight ya better stay inside!

Old 05-29-2010, 02:56 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,010 times
Quote:
I am going to put in my two cents on marijuana.

There is no basis for marijuana being illegal in the first place. It is the same thing for professional adults who go out to the bar to have drinks (many of whom get absolutely trashed); as some like to drink, other people like to have a smoke. Anybody with a little bit of common sense would know that smoking marijuana is less hazardous to your health than drinking in just about every way that you look at it. In fact it has many benefits. Don't give this crap about, "it causes cancer." Who really cares, now-a-days anything and everything causes cancer. And if that is the sole basis of it being illegal than what the hell are cigarettes legal for? Those are WAY more cancerous than weed. Also there are plenty of ways to consume marijuana other than joints and blunts (the only two ways people smoke it that can cause cancer). Plus you smoke weed less often then one would smoke cigarettes. Anyhow I am rambling a bit, but to sum it up........Marijuana effects everyone differently. Some people can handle it and be as normal as the next guy without it effecting their performance in life, and others absolutely can't stand it and get really paranoid. Why not let those that can handle it, consume it legally. If its legal or illegal it will still be the same way, people who like it will consume it and the ones who don't, won't. Simple enough.
But that's not the argument Weed smokers in this thread are making.

I made the point that Weed has no other use for most users except to get high.

Then the "Weed is Cool" contingent countered that it has medicinal uses (a very thin claim at best). But be realistic, the large majority of people arguing for the legalization of it only want to use weed to get high.

How can you realistically build a legalization platform on that?

Old 05-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Very true, it can act a natural anti-depressant/anti-anxiety for many people without the side-effects of other anti-depressant meds out there right now.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
^sorry, but plenty of studies and the testimony of roughly 500 billion people, over the course of many centuries, disagrees with you.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Those people testified that Marijuana has no side effects?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland