Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM

380 posts, read 652,836 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy living in NYC. I'm interviewing for a job in Sunnyvale and doing homework on the surrounding areas.

In terms of cities/areas, what are my living options for $1,500/month? I'd like to be within an hour or so from Sunnyvale, and I have a dog so would like a yard and close proximity to outdoorsy stuff such as trails. I've read some positive things on this forum about Los Gatos, but from Craigslist postings, it doesn't look as though it's in my budget. I'm guessing the cost of living in that area of California is similar to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area for $1500 in Sunnyvale. This would put you maybe 20 minutes from some trails in the foothills and maybe 30 minutes from the Santa Cruz mountains.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area for $1500 in Sunnyvale. This would put you maybe 20 minutes from some trails in the foothills and maybe 30 minutes from the Santa Cruz mountains.
Cool, thanks for replying. Do people regularly walk their dogs in the Santa Cruz mountains? I know literally nothing about the area.

If it's possible, I'm thinking a yard is more important than actually living in Sunnyvale. I live in an apartment in NYC right now. My dog is pretty high-energy, and even though we have a massive forest/park a block away from us, a yard would be more valuable (as long as something trail-ish were a 30-minute drive away).

Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Cool, thanks for replying. Do people regularly walk their dogs in the Santa Cruz mountains? I know literally nothing about the area.
I'm not sure what the rules are up there. You could look up "Big Basin State Park" on the web, and then call the Forest rangers and ask.

Quote:

If it's possible, I'm thinking a yard is more important than actually living in Sunnyvale. I live in an apartment in NYC right now. My dog is pretty high-energy, and even though we have a massive forest/park a block away from us, a yard would be more valuable (as long as something trail-ish were a 30-minute drive away).
Unfortunately, you won't be able to find a place with your own yard for $1500 anywhere in the Bay Area.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

Unfortunately, you won't be able to find a place with your own yard for $1500 anywhere in the Bay Area.
You never know - odd deals often pop up in the SC mountains. Lots of property up there for those who can hang with mountain living.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
You never know - odd deals often pop up in the SC mountains. Lots of property up there for those who can hang with mountain living.
BDG -- do such deals spring up on Craigslist? What areas do you think I should broaden my search to?

If it's the case that nothing w/a yard can be found for $1,500, then it is indeed more costly than NYC.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:05 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
BDG -- do such deals spring up on Craigslist? What areas do you think I should broaden my search to?

If it's the case that nothing w/a yard can be found for $1,500, then it is indeed more costly than NYC.
It's not that nothing with a yard can be had for $1500, it's that you have geographical limits. I've seen plenty of detached houses in the East Bay starting around that range. I myself rented a house in San Jose with a 12,000 square foot lot for $1200 a month, from 2008-2010. Pets weren't allowed though..

Old 05-08-2011, 12:49 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times
It's been a huge challenge, for us, to find places willing to rent with a dog. Unless you don't care that it's a totally dilapidated dump that hasn't seen an update since the 60's. Sorry to be a downer.

I have seen a few apartments that rent to people with dogs, though I'm not certain of the price range.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM

160 posts, read 454,451 times
The nicer apartments allow dogs - Avalon, Palm Valley, etc. Think about a duplex with a yard - that should be right in your price range. I had a client with a Great Dane and we found them a house but it was closer to $2200.

A lot of the trails don't allow dogs. I can't take my dog to Rancho San Antonio (for my runs). He can go along the Creek Trail in Campbell and we go to our own "secret park" where I let him off leash. I walk my dog first thing in the morning, when "normal" people are sleeping, and let him off leash. Also, have clients in Mountain View that do the trails out on the bay - by Renstorff house - with their dogs.

Welcome to Silicon Valley - you'll have a blast!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks, all! Great information. Wintermomma -- not a downer at all. It sounds like you're going through this right now, so it's helpful to hear, even if it's negative.

Sonar: Is East Bay Oakland? Sorry for the ignorant questions; I know nothing about any of the areas.

Rebekah: I currently bike him (on leash) and sometimes rollerblade. He's a high-energy dog (Australian shepherd mix), so draining his energy without a yard has been a challenge, that's one big reason I'd like a yard -- even if it's small -- for quick games of fetch and chase. Tough to do that in my one-bedroom apartment, and equally tough doing it on-leash when we're outside. I've just started doing some off-leash jogging while in the forest, but he's still young and I'm not 100% with recall. That said, we still love going in the trails on leash.

I'll look for a duplex with a yard. Are there any specific areas or real-estate sites you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose