Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 AM

291 posts, read 958,216 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done it? How's the ride? Any information on routes would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
You're going to work for Google and don't know about Google Maps' cycling directions? There's a trail system that goes around Moffett Field in the marshlands. It's about 9 miles.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
You're going to work for Google and don't know about Google Maps' cycling directions? There's a trail system that goes around Moffett Field in the marshlands. It's about 9 miles.
Google maps gave the Moffett Field route as the only option and since the cycling directions on Google are in Beta I was hoping for some other options and feedback on the actual ride.

Does it really take 45 minutes to ride these 9 miles? Is it all uphill? Is the trail paved? How fast can one go?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I haven't been on it, but I don't think there's any incline on the bayshore. The area is pancake flat and the trail is paved. So if you can ride 20 mph you should be done with it in a half hour or less.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM

59 posts, read 130,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Has anyone done it? How's the ride? Any information on routes would be appreciated.

Thank you!
I've been biking on that Bay trail some 10 years ago for fun, of course. The part from Great America to Baylands Park is paved and easy. The rest of the trail had a lot of gravel areas, tall grass, and Canada geese, which like to poop on it, and it smells terrible due to salty marsh around. At that time getting around Moffet Field was troublesome as the direct road had a locked fence. Maybe that changed now. It's fun biking there -- very easy flat trail, good nature and wild life, but the only time I was taking a bike to work was in the trunk of my truck to have some fun during the lunch break, I would never think of biking to work.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I haven't been on it, but I don't think there's any incline on the bayshore. The area is pancake flat and the trail is paved. So if you can ride 20 mph you should be done with it in a half hour or less.
Pancake flat but often very windy. Only part of the trail is paved, the rest is gravel. Mountain bike almost required. You could try ACE -> VTA light rail to downtown Mountain View -> bike to Google. But the light rail is pretty slow, too - about 1/2 hour from Great America to Mountain View, not including waiting time.

Last edited by jbunniii; 05-22-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Pancake flat but often very windy. Only part of the trail is paved, the rest is gravel. Mountain bike almost required. You could try ACE -> VTA light rail to downtown Mountain View -> bike to Google. But the light rail is pretty slow, too - about 1/2 hour from Great America to Mountain View, not including waiting time.
Thank you. I was thinking of leaving the bike at the ACE station and taking the orange line shuttle when I didn't feel like biking the 9 miles. How reliable is the shuttle?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
Thank you. I was thinking of leaving the bike at the ACE station and taking the orange line shuttle when I didn't feel like biking the 9 miles. How reliable is the shuttle?
Are working for Google? Have you look into the company shuttle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose