Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM

110 posts, read 270,001 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I have just moved to South San Jose from England and am thinking of going into San Francisco this weekend

Can you advise the 'best/quickest' way to do this ? I don't fancy the drive (or the parking fee when I get there ) is there a train station that we can drive to and then jump a train for the last say 30 mins?

I live by the Cottle Road station but that seems to only go so far and stop millions of times ! we are happy to drive say 20 mins to somewhere that will take us to the city quickly

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,846 times
caltrain.com

Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
Default or

Caltrain doesn't run very often on the weekend, the more convenient option would probably be to drive up to Daly City and take Bart. Bart drops you off right in the tourist area, and Caltrain does not.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Caltrain doesn't run very often on the weekend, the more convenient option would probably be to drive up to Daly City and take Bart. Bart drops you off right in the tourist area, and Caltrain does not.
Why drive all the way to Daly City? From SJ, you can just drive up to Fremont to catch BART (about 15 miles vs 50 to Daly City).

Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Why drive all the way to Daly City? From SJ, you can just drive up to Fremont to catch BART (about 15 miles vs 50 to Daly City).

More like 55 miles vs. 28 miles from South San Jose.

Cottle Rd San Jose to Daly City Station

Cottle Rd San Jose to Fremont Station

Driving to Daly City is the better choice. The 280 is a very scenic and traffic free drive. It is only 15 minutes from Daly City Bart to Powell vs. 48 minutes from Fremont. Daly City will have 4 train lines running on a Saturday so there is a SF train every 4 to 8 minutes. In contrast the Fremont to SF line runs every 20 minutes on a Saturday.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
From where the OP is a drive to Fremont takes 40 minutes. Cottle Rd is near the Southwest corner of SJ. Realistically, I looked at both driving to Fremont BART, and driving to SJ Caltrain.
Fremont BART was 40 minutest to get to it, and 45 mins to get to Embarcadero.
San Jose Caltrain was 18 minutes to get to, 96 mins to get to SoMa or 64 mins if he takes the Weekend Bullet, another 15 minutes to connect to Muni N line to Embarcadero.
I live in SJ, but just west of downtown, last time I went to SF I drove fast on 280 and took BART from Daly City. Driving to Daly City following the speed limit will take 58 mins, and then 17 mins more to get to Embarcadero for example.

Realistically they would all take about the same time, but you can drive fast on 280, and Daly City would give you the most freedom to leave whenever you want since most lines stop there. Personally I would take this choice.

The Caltrain choice is gives the least freedom, since if you don't take the weekend bullet it takes 30 mins more, and there is only one going to SF in the morning, and one coming back in the evening. The other trains run once an hour and take 96 mins to get to San Jose.

Edit: I guess the person above me beat me to the punch.
===

Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated for a newbie still finding their feet

I think I will go with the Daly City option as I did look into the Caltrain and as Cardinal says only one bullet in the morning , is the parking free/ample at Daly City do you know?

Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Ok looked it up :-) thats pretty cheap then compared to the city !

Parking is available at Daly City Station and there's a $2.00 daily fee. Other options include Monthly Reserved, Single Day Reserved, Airport/Long Term, Extended Weekend, and Carpool. Check out the parking section for details about each program.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:57 PM

297 posts, read 766,837 times
Default parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilz View Post
Ok looked it up :-) thats pretty cheap then compared to the city !

Parking is available at Daly City Station and there's a $2.00 daily fee. Other options include Monthly Reserved, Single Day Reserved, Airport/Long Term, Extended Weekend, and Carpool. Check out the parking section for details about each program.
On weekends or after 3:00pm on weekdays, parking is free. On weekdays the lots will fill up, but weekends, there's plenty of parking.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Caltrain doesn't run very often on the weekend,
runs once an hour both directions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose