Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 AM

4 posts, read 14,519 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Sacramento and our children are in a Waldorf preschool. We have just found out my husband will be transferred to South Bay in early next year, and we will soon have to find a place to live.

In search of a right neighborhood / school, I am surprised to learn there are only 2 private Waldorf (or Waldorf-inspired) schools in the area and no public option. In Sacramento, we have 3 private Waldorf schools and a several Waldorf-inspired chartered schools so families who can't afford private school tuitions are still able to send their children to those chartered schools.

My question is - where do Waldof-minded families send their children for kindergarten / elementary schools if they can't afford private school tuitions? Are their any public schools which takes a whole-person approach and has good arts and music programs? I am particularly interested in schools in Santa Clara county.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 AM

345 posts, read 1,026,139 times
Plenty of good public schools here. If you're in a nice area the schools (in most cases) will be good to excellent. Like most places anywhere in the country. You say South Bay but you're not giving us the city or area. That would be useful if you want good feedback. If you're in Eastside San Jose the schools won't be as good compared to being in the Almaden Valley or West San Jose for example.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,767,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Plenty of good public schools here. If you're in a nice area the schools (in most cases) will be good to excellent. Like most places anywhere in the country. You say South Bay but you're not giving us the city or area. That would be useful if you want good feedback. If you're in Eastside San Jose the schools won't be as good compared to being in the Almaden Valley or West San Jose for example.
Which is to say, you're gonna get what you pay for, in terms of price of housing:school quality.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Which is to say, you're gonna get what you pay for, in terms of price of housing:school quality.
Yep. The only real nice part of San Jose I can think of (off the top of my head) that has underwhelming schools would be the Rosegarden area that funnels into Lincoln High. Lot of parents send their kids to private schools over there.

Prospect, Lynbrook, and Westmont are all decent high schools on the West side.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,767,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Yep. The only real nice part of San Jose I can think of (off the top of my head) that has underwhelming schools would be the Rosegarden area that funnels into Lincoln High. Lot of parents send their kids to private schools over there.

Prospect, Lynbrook, and Westmont are all decent high schools on the West side.
Lincoln High, in the middle of a ritzy area, ain't a bad school:

"Lincoln High School became a 2005 California Distinguished School as of April 19th!"

Abraham Lincoln High School - San Jose, CA - San Jose Mercury News

Old 12-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Billy Millenium & bigdumbgod -

Thanks for your comments.

I understand there is a general tendency that the quality of schools and the price of houses correlates. However, Waldorf eduction is often considered alternative and very unique, and Waldorf-inspired public chartred schools are not necessarily in the most expensive neighborhoods in Sacramento area. As such, I didn't think I could narrow down too much in my search to identify schools comparable to Waldorf schools.

Apart from the understanding of Waldorf philosophy, I could say what I am looking for is schools which have good mix of academic and arts & music programs. Even if schools are good in terms of test scores, they might not be what I am looking for.

In terms of cities, I would say Campbell, Cupertino ( though I have read some people calling schools in Cupertino being test score-centered in this forum so I have some hesitation here), Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose. Sorry for being broad, but my reason is as I mentioned above.

Thanks again

Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Lincoln High, in the middle of a ritzy area, ain't a bad school:

"Lincoln High School became a 2005 California Distinguished School as of April 19th!"

Abraham Lincoln High School - San Jose, CA - San Jose Mercury News
Yeah it's not a bad school but it's not up to par with what you'd expect for how nice the area is. Parents sending their kids to private schools is very common over there. I've heard it myself from people who grew up there and went to Mitty etc.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Sorry - I must have posted my comment before reading your new ones. Thanks for providing me good insight into schools in San Jose. I will look into school in West San Jose you mentioned.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,423,742 times
Waldorf is so unique that I don't think you can get close to it with anything other than a Waldorf school.

Here in Colorado there are Waldorf Charter schools (public) perhaps there is something like that there?

Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,249 times
Have you looked at:
[url=http://www.communitascharter.org/]Communitas Charter High School[/url]
It is a free public charter that uses a hands on approach and has an integrated curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose