Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

God willing I will be completing my bachelors degree in computer science in a few months, and I might be coming to California from Canada at the end of the summer looking for an intern position ( 6 to 18 months ) as a software developer ( mainly Java and a couple script languages ). I have a few questions for those of you who know the industry and the bay area. My plan is to come as a tourist first and then get an intern visa when/if I have an offer.

Since I will not have a car, is it still possible for me to easily go to interviews in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco area or is transportation, or the lack of it thereof, going to be a pain...Should I try in NYC instead since at least there I would be able to get around using subways/buses ?

Is asking for 45k-55K realistic for an intern without prior professional experience ?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Since I will not have a car, is it still possible for me to easily go to interviews in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco area or is transportation, or the lack of it thereof, going to be a pain...
Within San Francisco, it won't be too bad assuming you are staying someplace relatively central. (Indeed, a car would be more of a nuisance than a help, due to parking hassles.) For interviewing on the peninsula or in Silicon Valley, getting around without a car is not impossible, if you have enough time, but it will be a major pain. I would recommend renting a car as needed. Maybe ZipCar if you only need a car intermittently:

Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks i'm going to check this out.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
I would suggest trying to get the intern position before coming out.

Also, many companies won't give you an "intern" position if you have graduated. You can say that you are considering going to graduate school, or simply ask your school to delay your graduation (if necessary).

Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Since I will not have a car, is it still possible for me to easily go to interviews in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco area or is transportation, or the lack of it thereof, going to be a pain...
That would be easy in San Francisco but not in Silicon Valley. The Valley is spread out and sprawled out and public transportation will be limited in how fast it can get you somewhere or whether it can even get you within several blocks. When I first came out here a few years ago to do an interview, my potential boss had to come pick me up at the Caltrain station and take me to the office to do the interview.

Quote:

Should I try in NYC instead since at least there I would be able to get around using subways/buses ?
Well, public transportation is much more convenient, but in my personal experience getting a job in NYC is much, much harder.

Quote:
Is asking for 45k-55K realistic for an intern without prior professional experience ?

Thanks in advance.
I mean, do you want to be an intern, or do you want to just jump into a full time salaried job at $70k. The latter option is available to you too.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I mean, do you want to be an intern, or do you want to just jump into a full time salaried job at $70k. The latter option is available to you too.
I'll have to look for an intern position, that way I can ask for a J1 visa, which is is easier to obtain than an H1B visa.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Also, I'm wondering if in order to outperform the competition from indian workers , I should get a master's degree in Canada first before I make an attempt at starting a career in the valley ? I keep reading all those articles on how the opportunities are good for software developers in SV, but is it really that good without a master's or the right experience ? Are there many developers there who struggle in their careers ?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
no I haven't seen any developers struggling in their career here. There's a lot of jobs available. Companies will base your pay on whether you have a Bachelor's or Masters, but you'll still be able to get a job.

I don't know about your whole "intern" thing though. I've never known any software developer intern. In fact the only interns I've seen were Americans. All the foreign software engineers have been full time employees.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Ok thanks for your response. Knowing that jobs are plenty and available is reassuring. I have read testimonies of students from overseas getting internships in SV, so i know it is possible.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Ok thanks for your response. Knowing that jobs are plenty and available is reassuring. I have read testimonies of students from overseas getting internships in SV, so i know it is possible.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions.
Can't you get a visa under the NAFTA agreement? I know there are several Canadian software engineers working in the US this way and it was very easy to get. That way your could earn at least $80-90K to start.

You can get around SV without a car if you plan it. I have worked with people that didn't have cars there though it is more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose