Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 AM

765 posts, read 2,441,233 times

Advertisements

After thinking this through, all you will need is a guarantor to cosign your lease. The landlord won't care if you aren't working - just as long as someone you know is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
With a trust fund, anything's possible.

Remember, not everyone's treading water like us "commoners."

However, I did meet a start-up entrepreneur the other day whose start-up was his side project; he had a day job to pay the rent.
I assumed a trust fund or extensive investment income were not part of the equation, as such a person would probably not need to ask that question....but maybe that was a wrong assumption to make on my part.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
If you want to move here without having a job - even a new job with a job offer letter - or being a student, then you will have a hard time.

I have rented to people who have shown that they are students, with a substantial savings account. I have never rented to someone with a savings account, but no job.

You can try getting a landlord to rent to you based on your savings account That is entirely possible.

If that doesn't work, you might want to enroll in college, just to be able to say you are a student. Then use your savings as proof you can afford to be a student.

Sounds nuts, but people are more comfortable with students with money, than unemployed people with money.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM

392 posts, read 806,978 times
I tried that myself in Jul/2012 and no one wanted to rent me even with offered payment 12 month in advance. I ended up in Hotel for staying 3 months I got offer from them for $2500 per month.
No deposit no anything

Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
I tried that myself in Jul/2012 and no one wanted to rent me even with offered payment 12 month in advance. I ended up in Hotel for staying 3 months I got offer from them for $2500 per month.
No deposit no anything
$2500 sounds like a lot.

Did you have anything else working against you at the time, e.g. a less than perfect credit score, etc.?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
$2500 sounds like a lot.

Did you have anything else working against you at the time, e.g. a less than perfect credit score, etc.?
I didn't have credit score at all (newcomer). I arrived in US 07/2012 (year ago)
At first rented room at hotel on 7 days then I tried on all possible ways to rent some 1/1 or studio apartment anywhere in bay area and that didn't work out so I talked with hotel manager and they approve me $2500 per month but at least you don't have to worry about furniture/deposit/credit check etc...

I tried to rent on many places. Went thru application *$120* each and they just decline me and keep money for background application (due to no credit history).

If there is no credit score (or bad score) you can show them (I think 200k on savings account) but I find-out that 3 months later ...

Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 18,206 times
Some apartment complexes have specific provisions for no income, but substantial savings. I just ran across one the other day when looking at apartments in the Peninsula/Southbay area (I'm not in the same situation, but noticed it when looking at the rental requirements). For example, this one requires proof of 3 months of savings statements that show a balance of 3x the annual rent, and additional deposit if there are credit history issues:

Qualifying Criteria

That apartment seems to be owened by Gerson Baker & Associates, and they have other properties with similar citeria:

Bay Area Apartments

I'm not associated with them in any way, and have no input on whether or not they have good properties or practices (maybe check some apartment review sites for some of their buildings). But hopefully that gives you an option, if you have 3x the annual rent in savings.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to go the extended stay route (basically hotels with monthly rates), while you build your credit and/or get income.

Good luck!

Last edited by tolvak; 07-31-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM

@tolvak nice explanation I meant that but didn't know how to explain
Some of them require more then 3x annual rent. Because one place asked me to show them 165.000 on debit or saving account.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolvak View Post
Thanks! I'm curious, $3000/mo for a 1BR - is this normal for Palo Alto, or are these super-luxury accommodations?

P.S. Where I live in SoCal, a 1BR is typically 500-600 sqft, and rents for around $1,400.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Thanks! I'm curious, $3000/mo for a 1BR - is this normal for Palo Alto, or are these super-luxury accommodations?

P.S. Where I live in SoCal, a 1BR is typically 500-600 sqft, and rents for around $1,400.

You should be able to rent clean and nice condo in some older building for 3k.
1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Apartments in Palo Alto, CA | The Marc, Palo Alto

You won't get "super-luxury" for that kind of money

That is without furniture so add on that $500 more per month for furniture rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose