Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
As someone with local and first-hand knowledge, Burlingame is more convenient to the Millbrae station than Millbrae itself if you're going on public transit. Millbrae is almost all single-family houses, and much of it is hilly. The one long block of multi-family along Richmond Drive is not convenient to the rail lines or any public transit for that matter. In Burlingame, pretty much all of El Camino Real is lined by apartments and it's just steps to the nearest bus that takes you to Millbrae station.
Richmond Drive isn't the only rental area in Millbrae. Millbrae has full blocks of rentals on Magnolia between Millbrae Avenue & Murchison, and South Broadway is completely rentals. There is mixed housing (apartments plus residential homes) on Magnolia just north of Millbrae Avenue (and on Magnolia leading towards Richmond Drive). There are also many duplexes throughout the area within walking distance to BART. Plus there is a large condo complex with rentals on Murchison. All of these streets are on the flatlands and within walking distance to BART.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
As someone with local and first-hand knowledge, Burlingame is more convenient to the Millbrae station than Millbrae itself if you're going on public transit. Millbrae is almost all single-family houses, and much of it is hilly. The one long block of multi-family along Richmond Drive is not convenient to the rail lines or any public transit for that matter. In Burlingame, pretty much all of El Camino Real is lined by apartments and it's just steps to the nearest bus that takes you to Millbrae station.
I live on El Camino Real in downtown San Mateo and am on the same bus line that takes you to the Milbrae station (~10-15 minutes to Milbrae BART/Caltrain station). It is less than a mile to downtown Burlingame (I know because I walk there frequently). I do not think it is worth it to pay 100-300 more dollars a month (which is what I found to be the general difference between apartments in downtown San Mateo and downtown Burlingame) for essentially the same experience. As well, I found most of the better Burlingame apartments to be off of El Camino, a few blocks away (such as on Floribunda), which adds to any walk you do to either the downtown area or the bus line to take you to Milbrae BART.

San Mateo gets more Caltrain trains per hour, so there is also the added option of Caltrain -> BART in San Mateo that you really don't have in Burlingame (since they only get one train per hour all day that goes to Milbrae). Although, the bus option is probably better for either since this is a small difference.

The only reason I've seen why one would pick Burlingame over San Mateo is because of schools.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-22-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooler View Post
Millbrae has a nice little downtown. Its smaller then Burlingame's and San Mateo's but it has the basics-restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, drug store, and some tiny retailers. For labor day weekend it has an annual art and wine street festival. I lived in Millbrae for 3 years and loved it. Very convenient place to live to get transportation - Bart, Caltrain, Samtrans and the airport.
I like Milbrae and its downtown. I don't know if I would recommend it over San Mateo (assuming all else is equal), but if you find a great apt in Milbrae, you can't go wrong.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Millbrae and Burlingame both have very good schools. Millbrae's Mills High has rated higher than Burlingame consistently in the past, and in 2012 they had the exact same API score. Mills' Taylor middle school has a higher API than Burlingame Intermediate. Elementary - Burlingame has more elementaries in the 900 range while Mills has one. The rest of the elementaries for both schools are in the high 800's.

I wouldn't say Burlingame is more expensive because of the schools, academically they're just too similar. But the schools, as well as the cities, have a very different culture.
I've never really understood why Burlingame was more expensive than San Mateo (given I find a lot of the areas in each town be VERY similar). And the only reason I've ever heard is because of its schools.

I wasn't aware that Milbrae's schools were as good as Burlingame's (I knew they were good, though). I can see Burlingame's "culture"/allure of its downtown making it more expensive than Milbrae, though.

But I still don't get why (other than schools) Burlingame is more expensive than comparable areas in San Mateo.

I guess my point is: If you don't have kids, I don't see why you'd pick Burlingame over surrounding comparable areas. It's a really nice town, but I just don't get why you'd pay that extra money to live there when you can save some money for essentially the same experience elsewhere.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I've never really understood why Burlingame was more expensive than San Mateo (given I find a lot of the areas in each town be VERY similar). And the only reason I've ever heard is because of its schools.

I wasn't aware that Milbrae's schools were as good as Burlingame's (I knew they were good, though). I can see Burlingame's "culture"/allure of its downtown making it more expensive than Milbrae, though.

But I still don't get why (other than schools) Burlingame is more expensive than comparable areas in San Mateo.

I guess my point is: If you don't have kids, I don't see why you'd pick Burlingame over surrounding comparable areas. It's a really nice town, but I just don't get why you'd pay that extra money to live there when you can save some money for essentially the same experience elsewhere.
The only area of San Mateo that's really comparable to Burlingame is San Mateo Park, and the real estate prices in that area are just as high if not higher.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,667 times
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I did make a few trips to check out the available for rent apartments in area, but unfortunately, I haven't found anything close to el camino/san mateo/ milbrae caltrain stations within my price range, but will continue to look.

How fast do apartments get rented out once they are posted on craigslist? Several landlords mentioned they go within a week of posting.

If anyone knows of any apartment complexes near milbrae Bart/Caltrain or san mateo caltrain that they would recommend for a one bedroom between 1600-1800, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Choco23; 08-25-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Aside from the locations in Millbrae previously listed, there are dozens lots of apartments in Burlingame near the Millbrae/Burlingame city lines and are walkable to BART. They are located basically across the streets/within 1-2 blocks of Mills High School and are located on Murchison, Sequoia, Garden, Trousdale, and Ogden Drive (all in Burlingame). They occasionally post on craigslist, but mostly have signs on their lawns/property indicating they have rentals. The walk from this area is slightly farther to BART than the apartments around Murchison/Magnolia (i.e. two blocks further to walk).

(PS - the north side of Murchison Drive is in Millbrae, the south side is in Burlingame. The west side of Sequoia is in Millbrae, the east side is in Burlingame).

Here is one apartment in that area - Spacious! Painted, clean! Views. Walk to shops.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The only area of San Mateo that's really comparable to Burlingame is San Mateo Park, and the real estate prices in that area are just as high if not higher.
What is "San Mateo Park"?

The area I live in in downtown San Mateo is just as nice as Burlingame. I looked at dozens of properties in Burlingame when I was moving to the area, and none of them were very impressive/better than apartments surrounding downtown San Mateo. I moved into an apt in 2010 in San Mateo for 1400. Nothing in Burlingame that was similar in quality was less than 1600/1700 at the time. The houses surrounding my apartment (which is just off of El Camino Real) look exactly like the houses just off of El Camino Real in Burlingame. If there were no signs to tell you that you were entering San Mateo/Burlingame on El Camino, I certainly would have a hard time telling a difference.

The experience in this area of San Mateo is essentially the same experience in Burlingame. Except housing is not as much.

I'm not trying to tell you that you know nothing about these two areas...but I spent A LOT of time looking at the differences between the two. There is a reason I picked San Mateo over Burlingame.

I think the hardest thing for the OP is going to be finding apartments in either. I'm not seeing much on Craigslist...then again, my apartment building does not list rentals ever on craigslist. They basically just use word of mouth (and many other buildings in both towns do that or opt for "for rent" signs).

My recommendation is the same as before: look at all of these places (Milbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo). If you find something that's great in any of these towns in your price range, you really can't go wrong.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 08-26-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco23 View Post
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I did make a few trips to check out the available for rent apartments in area, but unfortunately, I haven't found anything close to el camino/san mateo/ milbrae caltrain stations within my price range, but will continue to look.

How fast do apartments get rented out once they are posted on craigslist? Several landlords mentioned they go within a week of posting.

If anyone knows of any apartment complexes near milbrae Bart/Caltrain or san mateo caltrain that they would recommend for a one bedroom between 1600-1800, please let me know. Thanks!
I'll PM you some info.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I don't know the San Mateo area, but when I list an apartment for rent in Santa Clara, I can easily get them rented in a week right now. I'm guessing it would be the same situation where you're looking, so I think they're telling you the truth.

I also try to get my apts rented without having to list on Craigslist, because of the Craigslist zoo factor. So, you may want to call apt complexes you'd like to move into, to see if they have any openings coming up. You could even post an apartment wanted ad on Craigslist. I actually do peruse those when I have a vacancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose