Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,665,525 times

Advertisements

Did you have the house appraised for taxes? Here is how the tax situation works. Basically the day your father passed away is the base price for tax purposes and your don't have to pay taxes on the amount that your fathers house was worth on that day. But if the house is run down and you are going to fix it and have it worth $350k more than you would owe taxes on that $350k. The $120k you spend to fix it up could be subtracted from that $350k so you would theoretically owe taxes on $230k. An appraiser could do an appraisal retroactive to the day your father passed away. I could see it being advantageous for you to fix the house asap have it appraised retroactive and then sell it. You would realize some gain because of how hot the market is but not near the $230k which is a large tax bill. We just went through this when my mother in law passed away but her house was not in need of work but it still sold for $40k more that it appraised for 3 months prior so that will be taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 AM

926 posts, read 979,490 times
i purchased recently a 850sq ft condo right next to bart fremont thinking it might go up in value, i started renovating on next day I got the key with no prior experience and did pretty much everything except carpet install. After about ~8000$ plus my own hard labor, I am mostly done at this time and it is looking great now. It was in a ****ty looking condition but compared to yours, yours seem to have much more serious damage. I did mostly lighter stuff like painting, removing installing various fixtures etc., Have you considered doing part of it by yourself and let pros do the ones you can not do?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:39 PM

460 posts, read 982,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oorah View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll list all the issues with the house:
1. Kitchen needs to be gutted out and completely replaced
2. Both bathrooms gutted out and replaced. There is dry rot in walls and damage to subfloor
3. Cracks and holes in dry walls
4. House needs to be repiped
5. Popcorn ceiling replaced
6. All windows have cracks or holes in them
7. Screen doors need to be replaced
8. Hardwood floors have Unremovable stains and need to be replaced
9. Ceiling has water damage which means weak spots in the roof
10. House might need to be re-wired
11. There may be damage to subfloor in other parts of the house
12. Interior doors and front door need to be replaced
13. Interior needs a paint job
14. Garage door needs to be replaced
15. Rotting deck in backyard needs to be ripped out

Having said that, do you all still think the average Asian family is going to buy a rundown house like this and put in the time to renovate it? In its current state, I can't imagine selling the house for anymore than half it's value, which would be $350000 (house is valued at $700,000). I have the money to fix it up and pay for it upfront. I'm just trying to figure out if it will be worth the time and effort.

Here is another factor to consider: I live and work in Southern California. So that throws a wrench in any plans to eiher renovate or sell the house.
I grew up in the MSJ part of Fremont and lived there for 10 years.

Yes, it is worth all the time and effort to gut out the house and redo it. I also recommend adding at least one bedroom and 1/2 bathroom. A house in pristine condition will sell for over $1MM. You might even be able to stretch to $1.3MM in this bubbly market.

Renovation budget might be as high as $200K based on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose