Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times

Advertisements

Milpitas is not much farther/or closer than *South Fremont*. It is much farther than the western part of the American High area, including Ardenwood. Most of these areas fall under Thornton Junior High and American High, with decent Elementary Schools, including Ardenwood, Forest Park, Brookvale, Oliveira, and Patterson.

The toll is something to consider about but commute wise I don't think they are on par. Milpitas commute throw 237 and 101 is brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Milpitas isn't much further than Fremont from Palo Alto. Milpitas directly borders Fremont to the south. The biggest issue would be dealing with the heavy traffic on Hwy 237, but at least you wouldn't have a toll to pay. Milpitas is safer and less gritty overall than many parts of Fremont and schools are mostly on par (aside from Mission San Jose in Fremont).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 PM

215 posts, read 260,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Milpitas is not much farther/or closer than *South Fremont*. It is much farther than the western part of the American High area, including Ardenwood. Most of these areas fall under Thornton Junior High and American High, with decent Elementary Schools, including Ardenwood, Forest Park, Brookvale, Oliveira, and Patterson.

The toll is something to consider about but commute wise I don't think they are on par. Milpitas commute throw 237 and 101 is brutal.
OP-> We are also looking at buying a house in the bay area. I have been trying to get a feel for the traffic/ commute between living in South Fremont and Milpitas. Average time on 880 (assuming you are not carpooling) in heavy traffic is about 15 mins from South Fremont to 237. So this will set you back 30 mins RT. This way Milpitas is perhaps better off. Of course, if you live in the Ardenwood area, commute to Palo Alto would be through 84 which seems easier.I can't comment on the specifics, perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,335 times
I've lived in North San Jose (95134), Cupertino, and the Niles area of Fremont and commuted to Mountain View from all three locations, so I have experienced traffic of 237, 101, 85 and Decoto/84 bridge. From Cupertino it takes the shortest time but the traffic is most smooth through the 84 bridge. My car also got better mileage when I lived in Fremont, and I am moving back now after 2 years in Cupertino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
OP-> We are also looking at buying a house in the bay area. I have been trying to get a feel for the traffic/ commute between living in South Fremont and Milpitas. Average time on 880 (assuming you are not carpooling) in heavy traffic is about 15 mins from South Fremont to 237. So this will set you back 30 mins RT. This way Milpitas is perhaps better off. Of course, if you live in the Ardenwood area, commute to Palo Alto would be through 84 which seems easier.I can't comment on the specifics, perhaps someone else can chime in.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
With a Palo Alto Commute I wouldn't look anywhere but the most western parts of San Jose. And since you are open to a townhouse and within your budget, I would actually exclusively look in Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, or points north like Belmont, Redwood City...areas much closer to Palo Alto. I don't think you are priced out. And with just a 1 year old you don't need a ton of space. You could get your foot into the door in a good area with a good commute now. There are even a couple SFRs in Redwood City (I don't know about schools there one way or the other) in your price range.

Unless you are one who works off hours (and I mean REALLY off hours) then I wouldn't want to live so far south. The commute in the regular lanes is awful. Just don't be tempted by East Palo Alto, or anywhere close enough that the realtors are billing it as Menlo Park when it's really EPA. Check the crime reports.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
San Bruno? Redwood City? South SF? Houses are cheaper there, and the reverse commute will be a god-send. Not so sure about the schooling though...

Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 PM

17 posts, read 27,576 times
Just an update, we're still looking and didn't give up (yet).

I'm lowering our elementary schools priority/expectation hoping that either schools get better or we would be able to send our kid(s) to a private school (wishful thinking ).

I was wondering if you could comment on 95128 area, Winchester Blvd just a little bit south of i280 to be more precise? I've used different crime report services and it looks fine. But any insider info would be very appreciated!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose