Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:59 PM

402 posts, read 538,356 times

Advertisements

The same as a talker above, I also read that these street roaches became more and more common here in the Bay Area... My friend lives in Santa Clara close to Lawrence express way, and he says these street roaches (Palmetto bugs?) visit his backyard and garage pretty frequently. Thanks God I have not seen them in our house in Blossom Valley, San Jose. I'm really, really afraid of roaches, both indoor and outdoor. I've never seen them when living in apartment complex in Santa Clara for the last several years; however, it could be because apartment owner sprayed pesticides against different kinds of insects on grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 12:54 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I lived in Santa Clara for 10 years, just moved 1 1/2 years ago, and never saw what you're referring to. Never had a cockroach in the building I lived in and later managed for 10 years. The worst thing we ever encountered were ants one summer, which were easily taken care of with pest control.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived in Santa Clara for 10 years, just moved 1 1/2 years ago, and never saw what you're referring to. Never had a cockroach in the building I lived in and later managed for 10 years. The worst thing we ever encountered were ants one summer, which were easily taken care of with pest control.
Not sure what to say about this. Then either you were very lucky or it's really a very recent thing that those guys have become more frequent. I've now seen cockroaches in several different locations in Santa Clara (some in the neighborhood between Pruneridge and Valley Fair Mall and some around Monroe St / Bowers Ave) and an exterminator told me that they're all over the Bay Area.

As long as they don't enter my house I can kind of live with that.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 AM

848 posts, read 966,730 times
I lived in a dumpy neighborhood at Monroe St and Deborah Dr for 20 years and we had roaches there. One day after about 4-5 years of living there, someone came in and lined the hard flooring parts of the apartment with this brown goop that went hard and we never saw roaches inside again. Outside, all the time, but never inside again. Outside there were all kinds of roaches, and tons of them - giant ones, little ones.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 AM

26 posts, read 31,604 times
Default 30+ years and no cockroaches, termites y

Been in 4 apartments, relocated business 6 times and owned 1 home. NE

Old 05-25-2015, 02:52 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
Roaches in Miam are way worse and they can fly too. Big suckers, so big the Geckos and Anoles cannot even eat them.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
There were zero cockroaches in most parts of the Bay Area as recently as 10 years ago. I suspect some non native ones have gotten a foothold. Yet another invasive species issue to deal with.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:57 AM

61 posts, read 136,915 times
A common problem this is, just keep clean your house. Use some homemade methods to get rid of roaches or hire a local pest control company.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:18 PM

112 posts, read 130,925 times
They've been all over the place here, in Sunnyvale too. What's the best bug spray to use?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton16 View Post
A common problem this is, just keep clean your house. Use some homemade methods to get rid of roaches or hire a local pest control company.
What are being discussed here are not the typical smaller ones that live inside homes, and have been common for many years in much of the country East of the Rockies or down in SoCal.

These are like a smaller version of Palmetto Bugs, that are seen outside, at night, crawling all over sidewalks and streets. I never saw them until the early part of this decade. As several here have noted they are now found in part of the South Bay (but I have not seen any so far in other parts of the Bay Area). This has the classic signature of an invasive species infestation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose