Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,725 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving soon in the Bay Area around Mountain View. I have an incoming 6th grader who is gifted and with Aspegers/ADHD. The schools in the area are excellent overall, but I was wondering when it comes to handling social/organizational challenges are some schools better than others? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
sf
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:49 PM

424 posts, read 552,420 times
all of the kids here are gifted. half of the parents are Asperger but this term is no longer used.

the schools are mediocre, in rich neighborhoods the parents supplement with rigorous after school academic programs until 6pm. We pay for a "top tier" private school that rivals the midwest blue ribbon public school we came from.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:18 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,556,060 times
There is a real culture problem here, it is not as bad in Mountain View as other places in the Bay Area, but there are many people in the Bay Area, that even as adults will make fun of your kid as a kid or an adult and call him or her an Aspie, (granted it will be more likely to happen with a son), as an insult, and make fun of their problems and expect their friends to join in, and think it is totally cool to do so.

If this is about as bad as where you come from then fine, but if it is worse then I would rethink moving here, as much as it this place would improve from parents that will fight this culture, I think perhaps your kid won't be better off here.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 AM

424 posts, read 552,420 times
cardinal, that is interesting, which schools have you seen that in?

Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,556,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburbs1975 View Post
cardinal, that is interesting, which schools have you seen that in?
I'm not a parent so I don't know how kids act these days, but if you hear or read conversations of young adults all the way up to early 30s, you find that the words "Aspie" and "Autist" are used as insults often enough by a sub portion of the population. In fact there are many people that use aspergers as a negative personality trait in this forum and in the San Francisco - Oakland forum, that I think it is worth a note of caution if you have a child with such a condition.

I encourage OP to search for posts that include the word "aspie" "asperger" "autism" or "autist" in either forum and see what they find.

The Advanced search here is a bit overwhelming if you've never used it before, but essentially go back to the San Jose forum, On the upper right hit Search This Forum, hit Advanced Search, then on the keywords enter "asperger" on the lower left hit Show Results as: Posts, then on the lower right highlight both San Jose and San Francisco - Oakland, and then you can see what people on this forum say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose