Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 AM

402 posts, read 538,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
ITA with Willow Glen, parts of Campbell (Check schools as they vary which district) or parts of the "Campbell part of San Jose."

Or, what about Rose Garden - how are the schools there?
It is a fantastic but an expensive place to live as well as Willow Glen (except its bad part known as "Ghetto Glen"). It is probably unproductive to compare such areas with Evergreen, or Milpitas, or 95123, or other cheaper options. As I got it, the topicpaster needs affordable (relatively affordable in terms of out area) place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 17,586 times
Continuing with the OP's question - can anyone speak to the commute from 95032 to Cupertino? My husband currently works for the fruit company and will be moving to the Spaceship campus once it's finished. We have been renting in 95014 for years and are now looking to buy. For various reasons, we're not sure staying zoned to our current school is a viable option - not to mention a decent home is just beyond our reach. I fell in love with 95032 and Union SD after touring several open houses but the commute makes me weary.

Probably to a fault, we've lived in a 95014 bubble for the last several years so I have no idea what else is out there. Union SD checks a lot of boxes (good academics yet balanced, active parent community, etc).

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
The housing has already taken off in 95132, to San Jose's detriment. For some reason we decided to let developers build 3,000 units at the Flea Market site, taxing our city services even more than it already is. Whatever you see being built now is going to be it for a long time.
Well that actually makes sense for transportation given that the Berryessa BART station is going to be there.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:49 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well that actually makes sense for transportation given that the Berryessa BART station is going to be there.
It does not make sense for San Jose. We're housing people and providing them services while they leave to their jobs somewhere else out of the City or spend their money elsewhere. Building the station and those houses also removed the Flea Market, a source of sales tax and parking tax for the City.

San Jose has an imbalance of jobs to residence ratio, that's why the City barely breaks even even though its residents are so rich. It's best to keep our housing low and our office builds up. Let the rest of the villages around us share in the burden of housing.

The current San Jose administration is finally fessing up to it. Liccardo has been very hesitant to zone commercial to residential, and all signs are pointing to an end to the reckless housing build up that San Jose has permitted for the last 2 decades.

Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Campbell, Morgan Hill, Gilroy! You're up, biatches! Build some homes, you selfish little sihts!

Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
It does not make sense for San Jose. We're housing people and providing them services while they leave to their jobs somewhere else out of the City or spend their money elsewhere. Building the station and those houses also removed the Flea Market, a source of sales tax and parking tax for the City.

San Jose has an imbalance of jobs to residence ratio, that's why the City barely breaks even even though its residents are so rich. It's best to keep our housing low and our office builds up. Let the rest of the villages around us share in the burden of housing.

The current San Jose administration is finally fessing up to it. Liccardo has been very hesitant to zone commercial to residential, and all signs are pointing to an end to the reckless housing build up that San Jose has permitted for the last 2 decades.

Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Campbell, Morgan Hill, Gilroy! You're up, biatches! Build some homes, you selfish little sihts!
So what you're saying is if there should be any development around a new BART station, it should be more commercial and retail?

Old 11-13-2015, 06:17 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,379 times
Besides Mission San Jose, Fremont Irvington High and Ardenwood areas are more expensive than Milpitas as well. Milpitas housing price is quite uniform across the city because it has only one high school. However, Fremont housing price heavily depends on the school district. The Ardenwood area is rising fast in part also because of proximity to Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
In terms of commute: I think it is a draw between Campbell and Milpitas. Then I suspect it's similar between Fremont and Evergreen, but I have not done Fremont commute since 2000, during the dot com era.

1) Campbell. Campbell and Milpitas are likely a draw. Campbell is closer to Valco but further from Cisco. Milpitas is closer to Cisco but further from Valco. I prefer Campbell personally for it's general location. Easy to get to San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara on weekends for food and shopping.

2) Milpitas. Downside is the smell.

3) Evergreen. You can get newer homes, with good high school at good value. The downside is 101 commute.

4) Fremont. Except for Mission San Jose, price is cheapest among all of these locations, as it's in East Bay. Best option if anyone every goes to work in SF in the future.

Another alternative is Santa Clara. It is easiest commute to both Cisco and Valco. The downside is schools in Santa Clara is not good.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:40 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1980 View Post
Continuing with the OP's question - can anyone speak to the commute from 95032 to Cupertino? My husband currently works for the fruit company and will be moving to the Spaceship campus once it's finished. We have been renting in 95014 for years and are now looking to buy. For various reasons, we're not sure staying zoned to our current school is a viable option - not to mention a decent home is just beyond our reach. I fell in love with 95032 and Union SD after touring several open houses but the commute makes me weary.

Probably to a fault, we've lived in a 95014 bubble for the last several years so I have no idea what else is out there. Union SD checks a lot of boxes (good academics yet balanced, active parent community, etc).
From Los Gatos you could take Hwy 9 and Sunnyvale-Saratoga Road instead of the freeways, probably faster.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,859,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So what you're saying is if there should be any development around a new BART station, it should be more commercial and retail?
In San Jose's case, YES. I'm sure you've heard of our jobs/residents imbalance issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose