Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,437,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
Why on earth would anyone want to live in the San Jose area?
The San Jose area has the same housing stock as anywhere else in America but 5 times more expensive.
If I'm making 100,000 after taxes in the San Jose area, I can afford an rent of 2,500 a month which gives me these Choices. Or I can live in for example Houston and make let's say 50,000 (which is on the low end for the COL discount), I can afford these Apartments with a rent of 1,250.
Grogers ... Groger's Western?

I digress ...

I grew up here (in between SF and SJ), then I left for SoCal. Came back for a job offer several years ago, ended up staying until now.

At retirement, will probably either find a cheaper part of the Bay Area to live in, or will leave the Bay Area outright.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:20 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,049,337 times
Quote:
Why on earth would anyone want to live in the San Jose area?
The San Jose area has the same housing stock as anywhere else in America but 5 times more expensive.
If I'm making 100,000 after taxes in the San Jose area, I can afford an rent of 2,500 a month which gives me these Choices. Or I can live in for example Houston and make let's say 50,000 (which is on the low end for the COL discount), I can afford these Apartments with a rent of 1,250.
Despite the fact that you're clearly trolling, I'm actually going to stupidly bite on your post.

To many of us, this is home. I was born and raised here. My dad is 3rd generation Californian, 2nd generation Bay Arean. My mom was born in Minnesota and has lived all over the country but has been here since the 60s.

If you want to continue to have an informative and educational discussion, I'm more than willing to. Based on what you've posted after your initial post, I'm not sure you're interested. That's fine. My life will continue just fine.

You clearly seem to have some sort of ignorant, preconceived idea of what it's like to live here and what the people who live here are like.

That's fine too. If you'd still like to continue this discussion, like I said, I'll be very happy to educate you.

The reality is, any quality of life issues people living here are facing only affect us...not you. Don't worry about it. It's not your problem.

I actually do have some quality of life issues I deal with living here. Again, it's my problem, not yours.

What do I like about living here?

Hmmmm, let's start:

*Throughout my life, I've met some incredibly genuine and awesome people that I continue to be friends with.

*My family here is great.

*The weather here is great.

*The economic opportunity here is great.

*The natural scenery is great.

*In general, the people here are great.

*I like where I work and the people I work with. (I even like my commute, which is not typical for many Bay Area residents)

*The access to things I like to do is great. (ocean, mountains, hiking, nature in general)

What other incendiary questions would you like to ask? I promise I'll answer.

California is bigger than many countries in the world both by population and land coverage so I'm guessing you have a very limited knowledge about it. I'll help you. PLEASE ASK...and good luck because I may or may not be nice about it!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,104,471 times
Quote:
I live in Chicago and I do not get why any one would want to live in San Jose and San Francisco. I prefer a climate like Florida or Houston, also I prefer to be around people that vote Republican.
Wait a tick...

You're not from San Jose, don't live in San Jose, have probably never set foot in San Jose, and are complaining about its liberal policies when you live in a city overrun by corrupt ultra-left lunatics?

You're not doing a very good job at trolling.

Last edited by adr3naline; 03-24-2017 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 06:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,049,337 times
Quote:
I live in Chicago and I do not get why any one would want to live in San Jose and San Francisco. I prefer a climate like Florida or Houston, also I prefer to be around people that vote Republican.
Good for you. I actually feel the same way you do about weather. I don't mind humidity and I prefer warmer climates too. Weather is subjective though. The Bay Area actually has many micro-climates. I'm not going to waste my time explaining them to you. You're probably clueless as to how completely different San Jose and San Francisco weather are from each other...or for that matter, how different SF weather is from Oakland which is directly across the bay or even how different neighborhoods within SF (which is only 49sq. miles by the way) are from each other.

Your preference for Republicans would be an issue, unfortunately. However, you'd be surprised at just how many people actually DO vote Republican and hold conservative political viewpoints around here. They just tend to not be as vocal as many hard-core liberals. Personally, I'm not a Republican and am registered as Independent. I consider myself politically conservative though. I actually have many co-workers, family members and friends who voted for Trump...all of whom are Bay Area residents or at least Californians. I probably just blew your mind!

Again, it's obvious you're trolling...and yet I continue to respond. What's wrong with me? You just need to be checked. Sometimes, I just can't ignore the ignorance on this board and I feel that many people come here seeking intelligent answers to relocation questions so it's my duty to answer them as best as possible.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 PM

478 posts, read 695,102 times
San Jose prices are crazy when you stop and think that it is just as expensive as SF, yet SJ is not a tourist attraction. There really isn't any touristy attraction here. Anyone who stays in SJ as tourist, what do you do? When you realize there really is nothing in San Jose but a good place to live if you can afford in the nice areas and has all the stores and many places to eat some generic things to do, but its not LA or SF, yet it cost just as much as SF and probably more than LA.

At least SF and LA, ya ok SF has so many points of interests and tourist attractions known all over the world, close to the ocean, history, etc. Same for LA.

But San Jose? San Jose is definitely overpriced.

I mean look at some of the things people mentioned above, about being "close in proximity to many schools, and close in proximity to those very cities that are actual big attractions and points of interests" yet nothing SJ really has for itself. Diversity? thats the entire bay area, you can't just say SJ has that.

So its crazy how expensive SJ is for what it lacks compared to other cities that cost just as much (SF), or less (SD, LA)

Gilroy and Morgan Hill have even used its close proximity to SJ to help it's values go up.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,051,220 times
Much, MUCH better BJ's in the San Jose area.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:33 PM

403 posts, read 668,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
San Jose prices are crazy when you stop and think that it is just as expensive as SF, yet SJ is not a tourist attraction. There really isn't any touristy attraction here. Anyone who stays in SJ as tourist, what do you do? When you realize there really is nothing in San Jose but a good place to live if you can afford in the nice areas and has all the stores and many places to eat some generic things to do, but its not LA or SF, yet it cost just as much as SF and probably more than LA.

At least SF and LA, ya ok SF has so many points of interests and tourist attractions known all over the world, close to the ocean, history, etc. Same for LA.

I mean look at some of the things people mentioned above, about being "close in proximity to many schools, and close in proximity to those very cities that are actual big attractions and points of interests" yet nothing SJ really has for itself. Diversity? thats the entire bay area, you can't just say SJ has that.

So its crazy how expensive SJ is for what it lacks compared to other cities that cost just as much (SF), or less (SD, LA)

Gilroy and Morgan Hill have even used its close proximity to SJ to help it's values go up.
It has a nice arena in it, and at least it isn't Sunnyvale, California. The most entertaining thing to do in Sunnyvale seems to be to step in to the Inn n' Out. You can do that in other cities as well, however.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:57 AM

30,906 posts, read 37,029,473 times
Quote:
I do not want to live among the worst people on earth, a bunch of fscking retarded liberals.
I just deleted my posts on this thread. Don't feed the troll, folks!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:48 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,865,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

You are very wrong on the pricing.

SF is still, on the whole, noticeably more expensive than San Jose. A normal 3/2 SFH in, say, Richmond area of SF, which is a good but not prestigious neighborhood, about 1100 sqft, would cost about $1 million. A normal SFH in the equivalent neighborhood in San Jose, say Blossom Hill area, at 1100 sqft, would cost about $750K.

So it's still about a $250-300K difference between the two. Comparing homes in SF's Visitacion Valley versus SJ's East Side and you also see the same $250-300K difference.

The most expensive home in SF goes for about $16M. The most expensive home in San Jose is about $7M.

And if we're going to talk about bang for the buck, San Diego and Los Angeles beat the crap out of both San Jose and San Francisco. In fact, SoCal beats the crap out of NorCal in bang for the buck, no questions asked.

Don't worry about people who keeps saying "close to this or that", they just don't know enough about San Jose to say anything better. The mantra in San Jose is that "90% of San Joseans only know 10% of their city", and it's very true.

Besides, SF's two most iconic landmarks, Golden Gate Bridge and Transamerica Pyramid, were bankrolled and built, respectively, by a dude born and raised in San Jose. So no need to throw shade

Last edited by bobby_guz_man; 03-25-2017 at 01:59 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM

943 posts, read 1,323,026 times
Why do so many out-of-state trolls post on the California forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose