Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 11,437 times

Advertisements

We have lived on the edge of 95118 for 4 years and are making the move into the Union school district. We have noted criminal activity in the area near Blossom Hill and Kooser and are wondering if there are any unsafe pockets we should avoid.

We are a family of 4 with two children who will be school age soon.

Also hoping to avoid areas that tend to be threatened by natural disasters. We haven't seen this as an issue during our time in the area but then again only saw significant rain last year. I'd love to hear your thoughts on earthquake zones etc.

We are considering putting an offer on a home near Dartmouth middle. And are also considering homes north of Brahnam near Camden and another close to Leigh high.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,185 times
I was going to ask are there any things that you aren't afraid of LOL, but that's mean. So I'll try to answer your questions while stifling my laughter

What are these criminal activities that you have noted at Blossom Hill/Kooser? Can you elaborate? Did you see them or are they on record somewhere or are they just anecdotes told to you by friends of friends?

Outside of a bit of ghetto housing behind the Office Depot/Max on Blossom Hill/Almaden I don't recall any bad areas in 95118. We're talking about an area where a 900 sq ft piece of **** home with busted foundations can go for over a million dollars.

The entire state of California can keel over any moment from a massive earthquake. It can strike ANYWHERE. The only other natural disasters in the immediate area of San Jose are brush fires from the hillside and creek overflow at any of the three main creeks--Los Gatos, Coyote, and Guadalupe. If your house isn't anywhere close to those 3 creek or the hillside then you'll be fine.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 PM

Just curious about crime and weather related issues that might not be obvious to someone who has only lived in this area for four years. I'm especially interested in insight from those who have been here long-term and might want to comment on areas that have flooding issues etc.

Bobby_guz_man, I understand your point about earthquakes though I seem to remember a comment here that much of Cambrian is located on a solid rock plate and is generally considered a safe with regard to earthquakes. Perhaps I should have been more specific with my original question.

Regarding crime, yes there was a recent crime that I personally witnessed. I saw a man get shot in front of the McDonalds while I was across the street getting gas. I am an ER nurse and ran across the street to provide medical care to the victim who was already critically ill. After he was loaded into the ambulance, I had to use one of the restaurant bathrooms to wash the blood off my arms and hands. This shooting was covered by local news outlets as were other crimes in the general area. I do not live in fear but this particular incident hit a little close to home, so to speak.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,337 times
Have you checked out crimereports.com? Change the filters, I think the default is too conservative.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:30 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
Avoid any place where there are rivers and streams that might flood. Most of the crime coming from E. San Jose, Oakland, and E. Palo Alto will be clustered near the freeways. Homeless is spreading all over the area which contributes to problems near freeway, or other walls, as they tend to cluster there. Avoid homes with large trees that could come down during strong winds. Don't buy near thrift or 7-11 type stores as they also attract some troublemakers. Other than that, no problem.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Thank you both for your tips!

Old 10-25-2017, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 9,296 times
It's difficult to predict how bad future crime will be in any neighborhood. Proposition 57 is due in November 2017, so the only safe prediction is that criminal activity is going to get worse in all neighborhoods. But it's what the voting populous wanted so it's all good love...

Old 10-26-2017, 02:37 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,860,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa22 View Post
Just curious about crime and weather related issues that might not be obvious to someone who has only lived in this area for four years. I'm especially interested in insight from those who have been here long-term and might want to comment on areas that have flooding issues etc.
Regarding the flooding. Much was made about the flood this year. But anyone who lived in that area or knows someone who lived in that area that was flooded know the exact reason why: the entire neighborhood sits literally in a depression. It has flooded there multiple times, with the last big ones sometimes in the late 90's.

And there was flooding by Naglee Park as well, where the creek was, but the same reasons are there: these are homes whose backyard is the creek itself and many homes actually sit in a depression--homes that have front doors at the top level of the homes.

So it's a known thing for these neighborhoods. As long as you aren't close to the 3 big creeks, you have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Bobby_guz_man, I understand your point about earthquakes though I seem to remember a comment here that much of Cambrian is located on a solid rock plate and is generally considered a safe with regard to earthquakes. Perhaps I should have been more specific with my original question.
I have never heard this comment before and have never heard it from anyone throughout my life here in SJ. Maybe someone from Cambrian area who has lived through the '89 earthquake can offer some thoughts?

Quote:
Regarding crime, yes there was a recent crime that I personally witnessed. I saw a man get shot in front of the McDonalds while I was across the street getting gas. I am an ER nurse and ran across the street to provide medical care to the victim who was already critically ill. After he was loaded into the ambulance, I had to use one of the restaurant bathrooms to wash the blood off my arms and hands. This shooting was covered by local news outlets as were other crimes in the general area. I do not live in fear but this particular incident hit a little close to home, so to speak.
Kooser/Blossom Hill is where Princeton Mall is, kinda of a run-down, somewhat neglected part of the neighborhood. Still generally safe but can get some shady folks mongering around. At the end of the day though, we're in a big City and crimes like what you witness can happen anytime anywhere. I was witness to a guy who ran into the ER room where I was sitting screaming about his leg getting shot up. There was another time when I was younger that I saw a partial gun battle between rival gangs in the East Side. But the fact that having lived here for 27 years and being all over the City and only having witness to 2 incidents that involve murderous weapons is a good testament to how safe this City generally is.

Cambrian is a great place to live. I make fun of that neighborhood all the time because it is kind of a boring neighborhood, honestly. That said, if I had the money I wouldn't mind moving there

Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM

44 posts, read 51,347 times
Quote:
This is San Jose. There are no weather-related issues here compared to the rest of the world. It's sunny and warm 365 days of the year. Boring, and I can't wait to get out of it, but as safe as you are going to get.

Unlike what you have heard, I have seen the liquefaction maps around almaden valley and they look somewhat high... but the Lorma Prieta hit and everything is still standing. The water table is high, however.

There are no bodies of water to flood. There are no hillsides to run down on you, and if there were, they are covered in green, lush, trees. Fire is always a risk -- Napa taught us that. But that's not weather germane to Cambrian. If all of almaden valley burns down, you can bet Cambrian is gonna be next -- along with the rest of south san jose.

Quote:
That particular location is kinda sketchy late at night, although the usual suspects seemed to have moved along recently. But I'm not sure I'd call that cambrian. Same is true at the Home Depot complex @camden/hillsdale. I bet the same is true over by Jungle Island (or whatever), or, really, anywhere that's open late at night in the south bay.

El Camino/Santa Clara seems at lot worse. San Francisco *definitely* feels worse. Don't talk about east/south San Jose.

Cambrian is one of the last pockets of "reasonably priced", if not slightly nordic-inspired and/or "quirky" houses this side of the 87. It's going to be just a little bit rougher around the edges, but is fine.

You have lived there for four years... why the hesitation now?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shares View Post
It's difficult to predict how bad future crime will be in any neighborhood. Proposition 57 is due in November 2017, so the only safe prediction is that criminal activity is going to get worse in all neighborhoods. But it's what the voting populous wanted so it's all good love...
What makes you think that's the case? Prop 57 is supposed to make better use of our criminal justice and correctional facilities - so that the non violent offenders aren't given punitive sentences. This in turn will allow more resources to be devoted to the really violent offenders who need to be locked up (and won't get released early because there aren't facilities to house them).

Mindless "git tuff on crime and lock 'em all up" sounds good as a bumper sticker slogan but is less effective in practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose