Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:25 PM

58 posts, read 79,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_mcmarbles View Post
OP to answer your original question, very few people who "earn well" are moving out. When you move from a tier 1 world city global tech capital to a tier 3 backwater (soon to be underwater...) city, there's really a big difference in the culture and community.

The word "communist" means "a person who supports or believes in the principles of communism". There are very few actual communists in the Bay Area. In fact, the Bay Area is the center of American creativity, wealth, and capital, and the best capitalists in the world (many who have created hundreds of billions of dollars of wealth in just a few years) live here. I'd say the Bay Area is the least communist place in the USA, if not the world.

I think what you meant by "communist" was "a person who supports equality, civil rights, and fairness for all people". In that case, yes, there are lots of communists here in the Bay Area, I think you don't fit in and Miami might be a good fit for you.
Anyone moving out of this area doesn't have to go to a tier 3 backwater city. They can easily go to Chicago, Boston, etc. and get more for their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
OP - it doesn't really matter what other people are doing, does it? You make an amazing salary and could easily drop it in half and still live well in 95% of the USA. So why don't you move and live somewhere that has the lifestyle you enjoy. There are many who want what you don't.

What are you looking for? There are tons of cities with tech these days, and you can also do a lot more tech work remotely. To say your job is hard to transfer is a bit.... lazy of you, I think. Clearly you enjoy hyperbole.

But if you are older, honestly, I think you may have a hard time moving and transitioning to a new crowd because you sound so bitter. Why not just save like crazy and then retire early to some small conservative peaceful town on a lake with boring food and be done with it?

Old 06-24-2018, 08:40 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have never met a communist in California in my long life here.

I doubt that you have, either, and you are a newcomer.

I'm not sayng there aren't any, but very few, and they aren't likely telling you.
lol you never met my history teacher in high school.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
OP to answer your original question, very few people who "earn well" are moving out.
Respectfully, I disagree. I know many.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 PM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
Honestly, I'm still stuck on the $190,000 being "ok" bit.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 PM

22 posts, read 20,427 times
Was just on here looking at the Bay Area posts out of curiosity. We are in Florida - Northeast Florida, Ponte Vedra actually. We (my wife and I) are also in real estate and ironically we just sold a home to a family from your area. Although they had been. there a while, their view was that life could be simpler and maybe even better somewhere else.

Leaving the Bay Area takes some courage, but there are many other places to enjoy life. Our own family is from NY, lived in Denver for 15 years and now we are in the PGA seat of the world and in a much more relaxed, but no less affluent, area that values family, friends, time off, beaches and of course golf.....

Check out zip code 32082 for the PV Beach area and 32250 for the Jax Beach area. There are other areas, but we are very partial to PVB. Good luck. Let me know if we can help in any way.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:19 AM

865 posts, read 1,828,174 times
Not planning on it, but definitely have thought about it. I think if our kids were younger we likely would cash out and move elsewhere for better house, more vacation money, more college fund, etc. Having said that, that usually means leaving California and in the current political climate I have hesitations about that. I certainly don't agree with everything here, but I think I would disagree with more in most other states. Additionally the places we would like to live at a lower price than here, we would likely be pariah's b/c we would be coming from California, and I can't imagine that would feel very nice. And I actually like the weather, and wish it was cooler. BUT I don't like how SJ is run, the crime, the graffiti, the lack of services (or safe services) for homeless so they aren't choosing every nook off the freeways for home.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
I know a few people with seven-figure incomes and eight-figure net worths who plan to move out of CA soon. The most common reasons given are high taxes, and progressive policies. Most of them would be willing to stay and continue paying their six-figure state income tax bill if they felt the state was going in the right direction, but most of them seem to think CA is "lost". Erosion/elimination of 2A rights, combined with softness on crime is something I hear often: "I wouldn't care so much about CA taking away my guns if they kept the criminals locked up."

Also, just because you move out of CA, doesn't mean you can't still visit and enjoy what it has to offer. There is this wonderful invention called "air travel".

That said, the majority of wealthy people I know here don't have plans to leave CA.

Last edited by MediocreButArrogant; 06-27-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 04:32 PM

9 posts, read 7,472 times
Quote:
OP to answer your original question, very few people who "earn well" are moving out. When you move from a tier 1 world city global tech capital to a tier 3 backwater (soon to be underwater...) city, there's really a big difference in the culture and community.

The word "communist" means "a person who supports or believes in the principles of communism". There are very few actual communists in the Bay Area. In fact, the Bay Area is the center of American creativity, wealth, and capital, and the best capitalists in the world (many who have created hundreds of billions of dollars of wealth in just a few years) live here. I'd say the Bay Area is the least communist place in the USA, if not the world.

I think what you meant by "communist" was "a person who supports equality, civil rights, and fairness for all people". In that case, yes, there are lots of communists here in the Bay Area, I think you don't fit in and Miami might be a good fit for you.

How does the air smell up there?

OP, We too will be retiring elsewhere shortly for similar, previously stated reasons. Its not worth uprooting our kids out of school however, so we'll wait until they fly the nest.

Last edited by JoeyBagO'Donuts; 06-27-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: