Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
you will like San Francisco much better

San Jose is less metropolitan , boring
Exactly my point! Thank you.

I don't dislike San Jose. I think it does have its good points and as krudmonk points out, there are many things to do there. I own property in the city and I spend some time there each month. It just doesn't compare to SF.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 04-23-2008 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Exactly my point! Thank you.

I don't dislike San Jose. I think it does have its good points and as krudmonk points out, there are many things to do there. I own property in the city and I spend some time there each month. It just doesn't compare to SF.
In SJ, it really depends on where you are. SF has "distinct" neighborhoods but they don't really range in quality (except the real dangerous ones). Some parts of SJ are walkable and have much life while others might as well be Central Valley sprawl. The less desirable neighborhoods to soccer moms in minivans are actually more desirable for anyone with good taste. It's a backwards world where the good stuff is neglected. On the other hand, that keeps things less crowded for those in the know.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 AM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times
I think if you are not really one for going out maybe you should just stay in San Jose. The weather is slightly better and the rent is significantly lower. If I were you, I'd just live closest to where I work, with gas prices and traffic I think the commute is a huge deal. I love SF, but I could never afford to live there and the commute would be awful. The good news is that you can live in either city (or anywhere in between) and still hang out in the other city whenever you want!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 58,411 times
This friday is the 1st friday in Downtown Cambell. Check out the Campbell scene on East Campbell Ave after 6PM this friday. There are a lot of people out, families and the younger crowd. Also, the campbell park is great for bike riding or the track at the Campbell community center is always full of walkers and runners on the track. Sundays from 9-1PM their is a nice farmers market in DT Campbell.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Just to add my own two cents...

San Jose IS urban. It's a really cool city, and I like it a lot. In my opinion, it has a great relaxed feeling that's achieved somehow through it's weather and built environment. I can't really say too much as I don't have much experience down there, but I like SJ a lot, and the city certainly has much to offer. It's not really fair how people tend to knock it.

That being said, SF is on another level of the urban scale. It obviously has even more going on, and like others have said things come to YOU. Generally, It's a busy, dense, vibrant, crowded, and often hectic city, and it has the pluses and minuses that come with that.

You can get from one to the other easily enough on Caltrain too, so keep that in mind. Basically in my opinion, it comes down to what sort of environment you want. A more laid back one, with milder and warmer weather, or the full-blown gritty city environment with generally harsher weather (wind, fog...but some nice warm micro climates as well). Both will have basically the same amenities to offer, and if one is lacking something you can go to the other to get it.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I wouldn't hesitate choosing San Jose over San Francisco if I liked actual (not contrived) ethnic diversity. I have said before and still believe that San Francisco is still just a larger version of Daly City.
How is SF's diversity "contrived?" Are you referring to SF's ethnic-majority neighborhoods like Chinatown? There's still a mixture of ethnicity in these neighborhoods, and Eastside SJ has plenty of neighborhoods that are almost exlcusively Mexican (rather than having other Latino ethnicities mixed in like there is in the Mission or Excelsior), so I don't know exactly what you're talking about here.

And if SF was "just a larger version of Daly City" then it would be way more diverse than SJ, so that kind of negates your argument. What is your definition of diverse? San Jose seems to me to just be a larger version of Sunnyvale. Compare the demographics of DC to SF and SV to SJ.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
How is SF's diversity "contrived?" Are you referring to SF's ethnic-majority neighborhoods like Chinatown? There's still a mixture of ethnicity in these neighborhoods, and Eastside SJ has plenty of neighborhoods that are almost exlcusively Mexican (rather than having other Latino ethnicities mixed in like there is in the Mission or Excelsior), so I don't know exactly what you're talking about here.

And if SF was "just a larger version of Daly City" then it would be way more diverse than SJ, so that kind of negates your argument. What is your definition of diverse? San Jose seems to me to just be a larger version of Sunnyvale. Compare the demographics of DC to SF and SV to SJ.
Look at Alexus's post and then re-read mine before you fly into another of your fits. It's parody; not to be taken seriously.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,836 times
My favorite Thai restaurant is in Campbell, but other than that I would rather live in SF than San Jose. Afterall, you're talking about living in the city (SF) versus the suburbs (Campbell).

Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Look at Alexus's post and then re-read mine before you fly into another of your fits. It's parody; not to be taken seriously.
I can see your stick is just as far up in place as ever. I caught your "parody," I just thought it was dumb and was questioning what you actually said. You're not too strong in the people skills department, are you?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I can see your stick is just as far up in place as ever. I caught your "parody," I just thought it was dumb and was questioning what you actually said. You're not too strong in the people skills department, are you?
All you ever do is get angry and then accuse me of being angrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose