Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 AM

327 posts, read 963,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavamonkie View Post
I'm looking to keep below $1300 for rent, for a large studio or a 1 bedroom place.
You can probably pull that off in Mountain View, but your options are very limited. For $1500 I think you'll have plenty more options. They've jacked up rent here so much in the last year alone. Our place was $400 cheaper per month a year ago. I would also echo that you should live in Mountain View. It's a great area. Less sketchy than other areas further north.

We just relocated here. My wife works in Redwood Shores, and we live in Mountain View, where I work as well. It typically takes her 30 minutes in the morning @ 6am, and 45-60 minutes on the return. Traffic here is brutal. The folks I know that take the caltrain say it's equally miserable. People tend to be "okay" with commuting 60 minutes each way, which seems a bit extreme to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
You can probably pull that off in Mountain View, but your options are very limited. For $1500 I think you'll have plenty more options. They've jacked up rent here so much in the last year alone. Our place was $400 cheaper per month a year ago. I would also echo that you should live in Mountain View. It's a great area. Less sketchy than other areas further north.

We just relocated here. My wife works in Redwood Shores, and we live in Mountain View, where I work as well. It typically takes her 30 minutes in the morning @ 6am, and 45-60 minutes on the return. Traffic here is brutal. The folks I know that take the caltrain say it's equally miserable. People tend to be "okay" with commuting 60 minutes each way, which seems a bit extreme to me.
Since the original post is almost six years old, I'm sure they've already made a decision by now.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:30 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Since the original post is almost six years old, I'm sure they've already made a decision by now.
Thread was hijacked and reopened. Read carefully.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakshmisirisha View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to live with my friends who are gonna work with Oracle, red wood city. I'm gonna work with Tesla, Fremont. Is there any good place which has decent commute to both the places?

Also, how bad is public transportation from Mountain View to Fremont bart?
You could live in Redwood City and take the Dumbarton across. That's a reverse commute as most folks are coming the other way (live in cheaper Fremont, commuting to jobs on the Peninsula/South Bay).

That said, if you / friend want to save some money, Fremont is an option too. Friend would have to "with traffic" across the Dumbarton, but it isn't far. Redwood City is probably more interesting though, it has a pretty good downtown area.

Only big negative of the Dumbarton is there is a toll one direction. But it isn't a terrible commute.

Transit from South Bay to East Bay is terrible. I'd avoid Mountain View et.al., they are more expensive as well. Mountain View is super nice (I live here) if you work in the area, but there's no reason for you to pay the prices. Redwood City has nice areas, slightly more reasonable prices, is closer to SF, and is an easy commute to Fremont.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Light rail goes from milpitas to mountain view. From Milpitas to Tesla, you would take express bus 181 to Fremont BART and then take their employee shuttle from there. They might have a shuttle from Milpitas or San Jose too.

Note also that vta express buses and light rail have fast wifi on board.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,861,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Light rail goes from milpitas to mountain view. From Milpitas to Tesla, you would take express bus 181 to Fremont BART and then take their employee shuttle from there. They might have a shuttle from Milpitas or San Jose too.

Note also that vta express buses and light rail have fast wifi on board.
Yeah, but it would be 1.5 hours (at least) each direction for lightrail. Not to count the time to drive to the station, and the time to catch the bus and the shuttle, probably close to 2 hours EACH direction. Not worth it.

Best bet is to live in Redwood City.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Yeah, but it would be 1.5 hours (at least) each direction for lightrail.
I just googled it, Great Mall Station to Mountain View station is 54 minutes, counting ten minutes to transfer trains and you're not driving and there is wifi in the train.

Quote:
Best bet is to live in Redwood City.
I disagree; they wanted a good place for both Oracle and Tesla. From downtown San Jose, CalTrain goes to Oracle in Redwood City and express bus 181 goes to Tesla in Fremont.

So either get a two bedroom apartment in downtown, or rent two bedrooms in someone else's apartment or share a room there, all are doable in downtown San Jose. It's an awesome place.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:10 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Thread was hijacked and reopened. Read carefully.
I did read carefully. The poster I was responding to was trying to answer the original poster's inquiry. The person that hijacked the thread came along after.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:15 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I just googled it, Great Mall Station to Mountain View station is 54 minutes, counting ten minutes to transfer trains and you're not driving and there is wifi in the train.

I disagree; they wanted a good place for both Oracle and Tesla. From downtown San Jose, CalTrain goes to Oracle in Redwood City and express bus 181 goes to Tesla in Fremont.

So either get a two bedroom apartment in downtown, or rent two bedrooms in someone else's apartment or share a room there, all are doable in downtown San Jose. It's an awesome place.
As much as I like downtown SJ, I used to work in Oracle and even the driving commute is at least 30 mins on good traffic. The shuttle from San Carlos Caltrain is not that convenient.
I think given what they said I would suggest RwC, Menlo Park or Ardenwood in Fremont, without any additional commute times.

Maybe we can revisit this once BART to line to Berryessa is finished and Tesla is a short distance from BART, and we can perhaps have a shuttle from downtown SJ to BART that doesn't have to go to Fremont past Tesla and then have to backtrack to Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose