Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 121,358 times

Advertisements

Hi - my wife, my 2 year old son and I are considering moving to CA - I can work from home - my wife however would like to start working again (she took a 2 year break bcoz we had our son) - would greatly appreciate advice and help as to which place to move - our criteria is: easy to find a job for my wife - she worked in Quality earlier, bring up our son a good and safe neighbourhood, warm climate, not very expensive housing, beaches.....I know my list is long but any help/advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 08:09 AM

60 posts, read 249,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus07 View Post
Hi - my wife, my 2 year old son and I are considering moving to CA - I can work from home - my wife however would like to start working again (she took a 2 year break bcoz we had our son) - would greatly appreciate advice and help as to which place to move - our criteria is: easy to find a job for my wife - she worked in Quality earlier, bring up our son a good and safe neighbourhood, warm climate, not very expensive housing, beaches.....I know my list is long but any help/advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Iif you are looking for warm climate, beaches, not very expesive housing and good job market you should look elsewhere as in Florida:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060501...wns-large.html

Old 03-04-2007, 07:20 PM

482 posts, read 902,441 times
What you are looking for doesn't exist in California anymore.

The least expensive housing is in the Palm Desert/Indio area far from any beaches unless you consider the Salton Sea.

Forget anything in the SF bay area!

Southern, try Chula Vista, on the Mexico border. Lots of new development.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM

93 posts, read 418,605 times
I agree with the rent part, everything here is expensive. I'm paying $1850 for a 3-bedroom house in west San Jose, and that's considered really reasonable. A one bedroom apartment costs that in Menlo Park. If you really are strapped for cash, you may not want to pick this area to move to....the only place close to a beach where you can live is either Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay - Santa Cruz is much more reasonably priced, but you'd have to commute to work every day on the dreaded Highway 17 (about 12 miles of twisty freeway from Santa Cruz to the major metro area) - difficult to find a good job in Santa Cruz itself, and Half Moon Bay is more expensive. Hope that helps....if you can give us an idea of whether or not you can afford that type of rent, we can steer your in a better direction.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 PM

215 posts, read 976,894 times
Default Housing

Do you plan on renting or buying?

Southern Cali in West or South Torrance are nice places to live. Nice and warm, 2 miles from the beach too! Distinguished school awards as well for elementary levels.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:01 PM

19 posts, read 121,358 times
Default Moving to CA from NJ

hi - thanks a lot for your inputs - i am looking to rent for at least the next 1 year or 2 - my job allows me to work from home - my wife would be looking for a job - in terms of rent looking to stay in the $1300-1500 range..looking for a safe friendly community to bring up our son...appreciate all ur help

Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I don't usually go on this board but I saw the NJ-to-Cali reference, and that's me.

First of all...if you want southern Cali, anywhere near any beach and anywhere near safe, you will *not* find it in your price range. I really am very sorry to tell you that. You sound very hopeful.

I mean you won't even come close. Seriously. Please, please look on realtor.com or whatever and prove it to yourself. I have found that real estate here is *even more expensive* than it was in NJ...and I was in Northern NJ at that, Bergen County, one of the most expensive places in the country to live. One of them. This, apparently, is the other.

Again...I am really, really sorry.

Listen...you need to think about this realistically. If there were a place on the planet Earth that was safe, temperate, beautiful, had good schools, was near a beach, was right near a seat of culture and excitement but cost $1300 a month to fit an entire family...don't you think the whole world would be there? Don't you think everyone in this country is looking for that exact situation? If anyone had found it--ever--wouldn't we all pretty much know about it by now? Wouldn't the cat be pretty much let out of the bag that Shangri La had been discovered?

You're thinking of the American dream...but southern Cali isn't it.

Now it definitely gets cheaper as you go up the coast...but since you referenced beaches I would think you want it pretty warm too. And I think it gets cooler as you go north (well, that of course would make sense...I personally haven't been farther north than Los Angeles, though).

You're a parent and you want what's best for your child, and I fully understand, and am not trying to be a hard-*ss.

If you have questions about the area specifically, you could always e-mail me and ask...I think my e-mail address is in my contact info here. Or PM me. I might not be on this board again unless I remember to check. It's not a board I usually go on. I want to wish you, your wife and your son the best of luck in finding a situation that's great for you. It's what we all want. I'll be thinking of ya!

Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 PM

6 posts, read 35,091 times
Default Turlock is a great place to live raise children

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus07 View Post
I moved from Scotch Plains, New Jersey
and have lived in Turlock for over twenty years and am now sad that because of age (nearing 80) I must move to be near family. I am selling my lovely home and have had some misgivings about having to leave Turlock.
I am not looking to make a "killing" just be fair to both buyer and seller.
It's an older home but well cared for and has grape arbor, peach trees, orange tree, wisteria, roses, etc. You don't find that in new homes.
Four bedrooms, three baths, family room, living room, country kitchen.
Realtor and internet both quoted upper 370s. Is that fair?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 33,443 times
[font="Arial Black"]I lived in San Jose and Fremont for about 15 years, and the closest beach is Santa Cruz. The water there is COLD, not like the Jersey Shore at all (I grew up in Monmouth County, 15 minutes from Belmar Beach). Even in mid-summer, the water is barely 70 degrees. So, swimming is out if you are in Northern California.
I know that Santa Barbara is about the first beach when you are driving south that you can swim comfortably. From there on down to San Diego, beaches are nice for swimming.
The benefit of Santa Cruz is that it is still a very nice beach and has a great boardwalk. Aptos is quieter and even nicer.
I am now in Virginia, so I can tell you about that too if you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose