Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this lately and it seems that this is the case! Of course SF has always been a famous foodie destination, and I know SF has plenty of trendy restaurants (not sure how SJ is on that), but when it comes to foods from different countries there are plenty of things that I've had a craving for that I can barely find SF, and then I find out that San Jose has tons.

I've found SJ to easily have a better selection of Persian, Afghan, Indian, Korean, & Ethiopian food -- I'll even say they have better Japanese and Vietnamese. SF is famous for Chinese but San Jose gives SF a pretty darn good run for its money & I guess Thai is roughly on par too. The only cuisine I can think of that SF is clearly better on is Russian.

To be fair, I know San Jose is bigger population wise, especially when you throw in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale areas. Whereas I'm not including Oakland/Berkeley. For the reason that I don't consider it practical as a SF resident to go to the East Bay just to eat whereas I don't think a San Jose resident would think twice about going to Sunnyvale for dinner...or vice versa. I could include the peninsula for SF but that wouldn't change anything except for give SF a slight Filipino food advantage. But I'm just surprised, because San Francisco is famous for many things, especially food...but it seems to be better in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
To be fair, when I lived in Evergreen, going all the way to Santa Clara would have been quite a trek. From where I am now, though, I can ride my bike to Santa Clara like it's no big deal. The luxury is not uniform across the valley.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Better Thai, Italian, Halal Pakistani, Spanish, French, Burmese and Indonesian in SF. These are the gaps in the South Bay foodie world.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,182,861 times
I think the main difference is this... If you're looking for a little, family run ethnic restaurant, prepared and served by people of THAT ethnicity, then I'd say the south bay is your best bet. If you want a more upscale restaurant with an ethnic flare then SF will offer you some really creative ethnic dining options.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
Even for the mom and pops, the City is better for the things I mentioned. But I will grant that for the cuisines mentioned by Radical, the South Bay is superior, with the exception of Ethiopian, a complete wash between the City and South Bay - they both suck (it is well known that Oakland is THE PLACE). Radical also forgot to mention Vietnamese - that one's a no brainer, the South Bay is king. For Mexican, it's a wash.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Even for the mom and pops, the City is better for the things I mentioned. But I will grant that for the cuisines mentioned by Radical, the South Bay is superior, with the exception of Ethiopian, a complete wash between the City and South Bay - they both suck (it is well known that Oakland is THE PLACE). Radical also forgot to mention Vietnamese - that one's a no brainer, the South Bay is king. For Mexican, it's a wash.
I actually did mention Vietnamese for the South Bay. (Of which SF is decent, but does not compare to SJ/SV.)

My friends who live in the South Bay say Ethiopian is way better there than in SF; I did notice an abundance of Ethiopian restaurants in San Jose & have not been impressed with SF's either (that one in the Mission in particular is unimpressive) but I could see them being better in Oakland. Perhaps I'll go to one next time I'm in the East Bay.

Yeah, I couldn't figure out which to put Mexican/Latin American in. I do know both areas have plenty. True about French/Spanish being better in SF. I forgot about them because those just usually do not cross my mind. You are right about Burmese & Indonesian too (it does seem like a number of Burmese restaurants have popped up recently in the City, enough to form a critical mass.) Italian though - I know SF has a big Ital. population but I have not been impressed with any of their restaurants I have been to here. They could be even worse in SJ, though.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Names! I want names!
Put down your best restaurant tip.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Names! I want names!
Put down your best restaurant tip.
Yelp it.

Oh, and East SJ is the place for authentic Mexican, and there are plenty of very good Ethiopian places around here (try Gojo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose