Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:22 PM

140 posts, read 676,478 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Santa Fe right now and there are a lot of things I like about it. Nevertheless, one thing I notice is that I'm getting honked at a lot. Granted, I don't know my way around well and I'm sort of being a looky-loo tourist. But I just finished looking around AZ and CO, and I didn't get honked at even once. In addition, I find the traffic lights strange. The green arrows last only a few seconds, then sometimes the light goes red then green without an arrow. Other times the green arrow lasts a few seconds and the light remains green. I haven't had any problems with them and that was not when I got honked at, but the signal situation doesn't make much sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 11,757 times
Default Driving in Santa Fe and surrounding areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
I'm visiting Santa Fe right now and there are a lot of things I like about it. Nevertheless, one thing I notice is that I'm getting honked at a lot.
My one trip to NM as a driver (second starts this evening!) I was struck by how insanely aggressive the drivers were in the city, and I'm a pretty fast and efficient driver. I learned to drive in the Detroit area, where drivers are very aggressive, and my experiences in Santa Fe and Albuquerque were intimidating. Guess I'll have to get used to it as I'm moving to NM in January.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:43 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,570 times
You generally have two extremes here in Santa Fe:

Older drivers that lost their driving skills when Clinton was still President.

Younger drivers (mostly male) who think that driving is like a video game; after you crash and/or kill someone....you can reboot???

Steve

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM

974 posts, read 2,342,931 times
Of course a lot of folks have moved here and brought their aggressive driving habits with them. I find Native Americans drive the slowest.
Don't worry about the honkers - you're doing them a favor by getting them to slow down their driving, and their lives....

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 PM

17 posts, read 53,404 times
Default NM driving habits noted

What I have observed here is that drivers tailgate a lot and do not keep the 2 second rule even in the freeway. They always want to get in front of you even if you are going at a good speed; they need to be in front and then they they go slow.
They wait until the last minute to get into the lane and then just shove in and sometimes they do not even put their signals on. If you anticipate this, you usually can get ahead of them before they do it.
In the freeway, they drive in bunches and never leave a space to pass them because all of them seem to be driving at the same speed and are slow and take over both lanes. They are unable to flow in the freeway because they never maintain a steady speed.
They do not know how to get into the freeway and drive unto the freeway at street speed and accelerate when they are on the freeway and expect others to make way for them.
Their idea of courtesy to them in the road is to drive slow and let others get in front of them or they stop during flowing traffic in order to let another driver get in from a side street to the main street or from a parking exit unto the street. I have seen it all the time.
I would not call that aggressive driving. I would call it something else but you get the hint.

If someone gets offended,I would say " if the shoe fits"

Advice: Anticipate it

Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,965 times
Oh dear God....I am not looking forward to these drivers. I am coming from Owensboro, KY, and the drivers, while not being as good as other places I have been, are not that aggressive. :O

Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 AM

974 posts, read 2,342,931 times
Just chill, obey the limits, let the idiots pass, practice defensive driving and enjoy yourself. I've lived all over the country and drivers here are no better/no worse than most places. It's a whole lot better here than in southern Florida and the times I've driven in Vermont were, like Florida, some of the scariest.
Having grown up in New York City, I'm used to aggressive drivers - and used to be one. Now, when I see one of those, I just get out of their way and smile as they zoom past. Life, like driving, is more enjoyable when you slow it down a notch....

Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianalways View Post
What I have observed here is that drivers tailgate a lot and do not keep the 2 second rule even in the freeway.
From the California Driver Handbook - Safe Driving Practices :
Quote:
Most rear end collisions are caused by tailgating. To avoid tailgating, use the "three-second rule."

Old 02-22-2012, 06:44 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
Driving in Santa Fe is easy peasy.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Driving in Santa Fe is easy peasy.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe