Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 6,549 times

Advertisements

Husband and I made a visit to the Santa Fe area about 15 months ago and decided where we didn't want to live! Now it's time to do the same but searching seriously.

He, unfortunately, can't make the trip with me but we have a great realtor and a long list of houses to look at .. left or right of 285.

Love Eldorado! We like people but don't need them. We hate fast food! We love cooking. We're more likely to invite you round for dinner than suggest a night out on the town.

Hubby is a true Midwest youngster. I'm an Expat Brit who lived in Spain for well over 30 years. I can't think of anywhere I'd like to be more than down where you all are!!!

Hope to meet some of you sometime.

I'm sure I/we'll have some questions but in the meantime ... thanks for being here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,266 times
As one who lives "left or right" of 285, I think you've made a good choice. And this is a great forum with wonderful contributors; we're here for you when you need us!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks GreatSantaFe!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
Gigiola --

I have been living in Eldorado for nearly 5 years now, and I love it here ... more all the time.

It is not for everyone, but it looks like it meets your criteria.

Let us know if you have questions that we can give you responses to.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 PM

Many thanks, Towanda! First question: Seems that a lot of homes don't have a/c. How necessary is it?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Gigiola, welcome to City-Data. You might read this thread: AC/Heating in Santa Fe Homes

Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
Hi Gigiola,

When we were looking at houses in Eldorado, we probably looked at 30 houses, and only one had A/C.

I am a BIG BABY when it comes to the heat, and our real estate agent ASSURED me that no-one in Santa Fe needs air conditioning. I was skeptical, but since virtually none of the houses had it, we went ahead and bought our house with no A/C.

We have had several hot summers since I have lived here, and many times I have wanted to have air conditioning.

I think the solution for me is going to be a portable swamp cooler which is fairly inexpensive, should cool my house sufficiently, and can be moved from one room to another.

People will tell you it only reaches 90 degrees once or twice a summer; I have found we have many more hot days than that. The good part is that there are only a few hours in the afternoon during which it can get uncomfortable, and it always cools off after dark. I also have ceiling fans and that helps a lot.

So I guess my answer is yes and no on the air-conditioning issue.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,266 times
I agree with Towanda. It seems as if global warming has made Santa Fe summers a bit warmer than "normal." If you're home during the day in the summer, you might be comfortable just with fans, but a/c can't hurt. As an option to a portable swamp cooler (an evaporative cooler) we had a Fujitsu wall-mounted a/c unit installed in our kitchen (a huge room with lots of glass where we and our guests always gather) and it serves to cool the room, and parts of the rest of the house, on those very warm days, as well as heat the room on nippy mornings. What you might need will be largely determined by the home's construction, the room sizes and your tolerance for warm temperatures.
We've found that open windows and perhaps a ceiling fan are all that's needed at night.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM

Phew .. we made an offer .. with a little wrangling it's been accepted and there is a swamp cooler!!!!! Oh dear me ... I'm a bit over excited!! We'll be back in SF in March to close. Ya'all do understand that my husband hasn't even seen the house?? !!!! It is absolutely lovely! And .. sob, sob, .. we can't move permanently for TWO FREAKING YEARS!!

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Towanda, our agent said that it was rare it was needed but that there would always be "that" year that he regretted saying that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: