Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:53 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times

Advertisements

I would have no problem having a person not born in Ireland being a cop. I knew three guys from England that where cops.
Being foreign, does that mean they are more likely to abuse you ?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I would have no problem having a person not born in Ireland being a cop. I knew three guys from England that where cops.
In which Ireland?

I can tell you for a fact that the I'm glad we don't have the cops from Juarez up in Cruces because they do abuse you. Or should I say your wallet! LOL

Seriously, I'd have no problem with an American citizen from another state regardless of heritage. I would have a problem with a citizen of another country having that much authority during some unforeseeable disaster.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No, I do not think that being foreign means that they are more likely to abuse you. There are countless examples in the world where foreign nationals have greatly contributed military and police services. In the US, a favorite of mine would be US citizens going to Texas (illegally) while it was still part of Mexico, to help fight for independence. I do not believe Davie Crockett was a Mexican national. The US military training in Vietnam pre-war, or intervention in Chile to overthrow the Allende and replace him with Pinochet are oher examples. So, clearly there are historical precedents of bi-national or multi-national military and civilian police force cooperation. These days, financial considerations are every bit as important as law enforcement, ex: with Dubai, United Arab Emirates becoming the largest shareholder at Citigroup, with a several billion dollar injection recently. There are many more examples of foreign direct investment in US strategic assets - too many to list here. All in all, the US is generally a free market in a globalizing world - that includes foreign nationals in security-type positions. I know a local police officer here, born in Iran. He speaks 5 languages (including Spanish) fluently. I have never worried about him abusing our citizens - on the contrary, he has been outstanding.

PS - To clarify the about.com quote, the military does in fact have a citizenship process in place, so that all foreign nationals in the military have a clear pathway in place to gain citizenship.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM

There is only one Ireland.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:34 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain and the southern part is a country in it's own right. I mention it because one would see an Englishman in Northern Ireland as a citizen. Not so in the Republic.

Of course it's happening all over the world recently. We're occupying a country. So what? I don't want a cop in my state (or country for that matter), i.e. Santa Fe, that isn't a citizen. Private Security? Different issue entirely. I also never meant to imply that foreigners aren't capable police men. But that wasn't the issue.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 PM

96 posts, read 410,337 times
Default Irish Police

FYI - the Gardai in Ireland already actively recruit immigrants, fwiw:

Traditional Irish Police Force Seeks to Recruit Muslims, Jews, Sikhs
Oct 6, 2005
Ireland Online
"...Superintendent John Grogan said the force was committed to adapting its uniforms, dietary practices and working patterns to suit recruits from Muslim, Jewish, Sikh and other communities. 'It’s a problem that has been solved in every other police force and An Garda Sochna [the Irish police force] will be no different in that regard. The commissioner is open to the change and we have invited applications from ethnic minorities,' he said."

And I think the earlier posts about recruiting immigrants to the US armed forces failed to mention that these were "legal" immigrants. They get an expedited path to citizenship for their willingness to die for their adopted country.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,688 times
Default Good God, What did I Start?

I swear, I'm not a troll. I'm not even Irish. Uh, Never mind. Moderator...lock, or jump this over to the political forum!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Im just replying because its implied that having a foreign cop is a bad thing and I fail to see how it is. Who are you implying is a troll ?

Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 AM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
Having police in this country which aren't citizens is a very bad idea but if you're a citizen I don't see why you have to be born here for the job as long as you can pass a background check. There's nothing necessarily wrong with the requirement of natural born citizenship either though.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 AM

The only problem with a requirement for national born is that there is a shortage in both the Police and Armed Services too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: