Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 PM

106 posts, read 433,564 times

Advertisements

Hey La-Leary.....I grew up just South of you in 'Worsta' MA (Kilington rocks!). At 22 transfered to Arizona State; 14 years later I moved to South FLorida for a job (big mistake). 6 months ago I visited Santa Fe for the first time for +/- 2.5 weeks. I was on my mega 30,509 mile - year long road trip around the US.

As an avid outdoorsman, Santa Fe surprised the heck out of me. High Desert, species of trees including the Aspens seen in CO, mixed climate, alpine Lakes, ski mountains, rivers, culture, arts, etc.

As far as climbing, I know Jackson Hole WY & the Seirra Nevadas are meccas (and amazingly beautiful places), but a little redundant. In other words, in those environment you have to travel far to get out of that geographic element. Beautiful as they are (and by no means am I knocking those areas) I feel I would have to travel a very long distance to experience alternate geographical features.

Conversely one thing I really liked about Santa FE (SF) and the southern Rockies was this convergence of geographical elements. The high desert to the South (Albequrque/Taos); the Colorado feel to the North (actually right there at the Santa Fe ski area or further up to Durango), the Canyonlands to the West (Utah Moab and Grand Canyon AZ); hence places like SF at 7,000' elevations cross at those Latitudes in the US.

Check out my website link. I hiked a trail to Katherine Lake in the Pecos Nat. Forest North of SF. You will see the mountains there, more rubble than anything.

PECOS WILDERNESS - WINSOR TRAIL HIKE 6/10 not 6/11/08

Anyway, life is short...ever touched a 50 foot tall - 200 year old Suharo cactus?.......you can always move back to VT.

Peace On You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
Sounds like you've found what you were looking for all this time. What a great feeling.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,471 times
Just a note that Roswell is in the "Red" heartland of this "Blue" state - but if that (and being pretty much in the middle of nowhere) doesn't bother you, then maybe you should consider it. My meetings with folks in Roswell gave me the sense that they are more the do-it-yourselfers, and less likely to hire out jobs they could do themselves.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 PM

146 posts, read 453,177 times
Miami_Dan,

That is one fantastic website! Incredible photography!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Hey XO - thanks so much. I had a great time putting it together for my family and friends to track my progress around the US (hooray Mac!). Santa Fe is a super cool place from what I experienced, BUT small.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:19 AM

Your photos brought back a lot of memories for me!

BTW, Flagstaff vs. Santa Fe? If you read your previous post in response to la_leary. Santa Fe is the place for you.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavious Orgus View Post
Your photos brought back a lot of memories for me!

BTW, Flagstaff vs. Santa Fe? If you read your previous post in response to la_leary. Santa Fe is the place for you.

....and you? I noticed you are planning to make the same move!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:04 AM

MD,

You are correct, I am looking to make a move. I have been held up long enough! So, the sooner the better!!

Why Santa Fe? Not really 100% sure. It just felt like home to me. A place of great beauty with a friendly, mellow atmosphere. I love Downhill skiing, mountain biking, etc. and Santa Fe can provide those things and much, much more.

What will I do for a job???? Will I be able to afford a home???? I don't know and I don't care!!!! Even at a young age (38) I have been around the block enough to know that... "you can have everything, yet still have nothing". Or, "you can have nothing, yet still have everything". I am a hard working, very versatile person! (a fighter, not a quitter!!!). So, What's to worry? I will figure it out and make it work!!!

I don't know anybody in Santa Fe, nor do I know much about Santa Fe (only been there once). But, it is the place I will go and the place I will call home!! Besides, it does'nt matter where you go, it is what you make it!! Therefore, I look forward to meeting / making new friends and starting a new adventure in this thing we call life!!

Last edited by Xavious Orgus; 11-26-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-26-2008, 12:41 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,378 times
XO:

House prices have come down some out here. (Maybe one of our realtors can check in here and give us more concrete info.) Out here in Eldorado where I live there are some houses in the $200-300,000 range -- a year ago there was very little to nothing in that price range.

We came out here not knowing anyone either except our realtor -- and that makes it more challenging to meet people and be outgoing. So far we have no complaints -- people here have been very friendly.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Thanks Towanda!

I have been watching the real estate and hoping to buy something soon. But... I have two minor/major situations to deal with before I can get going.

#1: A house to sell. Not worried, because I know it will sell. However, I am not finished repairing the storm damages (hail) received this year. It should be finished in a couple of weeks!! New high end roof, Insulation, Siding and much, much more!!! (In an affordable price range! So, it's gonna be an incredible buy for someone!! I am motivated!!)

#2: I am a 25% owner of a GM automobile dealership. I know, lucky me!!! Anyway, I have an interested buyer, but we need to see what is going to happen with General Motors. Currently, there is a 50/50 chance they will go bankrupt, in which case I will end up loosing any assets I may have gained.

Oh well, that's life. In any case, it could always be worse!

Last edited by Xavious Orgus; 11-26-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe