Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times

Advertisements

Call this idea what you will, but it is on my mind.

I had a weird vision today.. it will take a long frikken time to happen since nothing is great here right now, but the North of the river communities such as Palmetto, Parrish, and Ellenton could indeed become one big city and these 3 towns could be sections of the city. Think about it. The city would be the right size for the right amount of busses to go around. They could build a few high rises in Parrish for housing or for even new jobs. It may take some getting worse beforehand though first. They are widening the roads and I am guessing they are building low income housing. They sure can't be the McMansion types thats for sure. It may take a long ass while, but down the line, I could see North of the river becoming a city. Its also so far from things which makes it suck ass to live in, but at the same time, its so far that maybe it could one day become its own city and more people will move in. Its wishful thinking, may never happen, but it makes sense locationwise if this ever were to become a new bigger city.
They should build a gay bar somewhere North of the river. Maybe downtown Parrish since I know theres a small older gay community in Palmetto. Gotta throw in a few bars, its just repressive and boring here and not a damn thing to do besides go the outlet mall. No parks to hang in either. If only I made more money, I could leave town more often.

Anyways, I think with time this could become a city. North River City could be the name of it. The population could even get up to 200,000 if enough move up here due to the cheap dropping house prices that only keep getting lower and lower. Like I said, if a place is that far from everything (20 miles to nearest city in all directions or right between Sarasota and Tampa/St Pete), that could make it become its own city with time. It may have no choice but to especially as people get growingly frustrated with having to drive long distances. Theres a small bike riding community here too so it seems, but they cant go many places since things are FAR. I see people riding in lines though in the morning when taking off for school now and then.

Who subscribes? Its good for everyone, its too built up to become totally totally all woods, yet its really far and not as built up as it could be, might as well go all the way and build it up is my view. Then the country people upset about the idea can get pushed further inland where the total boonies is. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:22 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
I have to agree...I have always thought the area has a lot of potential to do so, and I think that was the intention when builders began out in Parrish and other surrounding areas. However, with the struggling economy it's going nowhere fast. I love the serenity of the area. We looked to buy in Parrish a few years ago. After we took a ride back out there this past year, we were glad we didn't. It had a very cute, country feel to it previously; seemed to have great potential. Now, however it seems to be a vast wasteland. You can just look at the area and see it crumbling. Is it all a result of the economy? Sometimes I wonder if there are underlying reasons it hasn't taken off. With the Ellenton mall so close, and such great proximity to Tampa/St Pete and the Bradenton/Sarasota areas it seems like a given that it would boom. Even Ellenton seems to be crashing. No disrespect to anyone living there, the communties hold a very quaint feeling, a great charm but seems to be lacking something; it needs something more in order to thrive..perhaps it is only the economy, only time will tell. Interesting post, thanks for the thoughts!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I have to agree...I have always thought the area has a lot of potential to do so, and I think that was the intention when builders began out in Parrish and other surrounding areas. However, with the struggling economy it's going nowhere fast. I love the serenity of the area. We looked to buy in Parrish a few years ago. After we took a ride back out there this past year, we were glad we didn't. It had a very cute, country feel to it previously; seemed to have great potential. Now, however it seems to be a vast wasteland. You can just look at the area and see it crumbling. Is it all a result of the economy? Sometimes I wonder if there are underlying reasons it hasn't taken off. With the Ellenton mall so close, and such great proximity to Tampa/St Pete and the Bradenton/Sarasota areas it seems like a given that it would boom. Even Ellenton seems to be crashing. No disrespect to anyone living there, the communties hold a very quaint feeling, a great charm but seems to be lacking something; it needs something more in order to thrive..perhaps it is only the economy, only time will tell. Interesting post, thanks for the thoughts!

Excellent insight.. see I might be thought of as a complainer on this board, but at least I am trying to think of a possible future too.

What I think is this, house prices are dropping more and more each month. It will go through a big lull like it is now and for years some more too. It might be getting a low income element, possibly low income housing being built bringing more here nonetheless. Maybe both riff raff and people with good intentions buying for cheap too and might do something with it. If it gets so cheap Im thinking, people may have no choice but to be drawn back. I know at the current prices, I sure as hell wouldn't move here, it would have to get dirt dirt cheap like 70 grand or less per home cheap or even 50 grand vs what it is now at 150s or so and even cheaper rents to make me wanna set up shop and maybe business owners are thinking the same. It might take 2 yrs for it to drop that far and then maybe it will all start to develop. Back at the time you looked (08 Im guessing?), you would be looking at a really long wait until it ever would get back up again so you made the smart move. If you didn't mind waiting, then well.. you'll be waiting awhile is how I see it.

Anyways more points as to why I see it being a future city in 15-20 yrs..

Cities want to move toward a more agricultural direction, this area is known for it already. They might try to use this type area in Parrish to build a new city around the country charms already here like a farmers market, bbq place, a few other things and this includes Ellenton too.
Section to section, Palmetto has the civic center, they might rebuild it to an arena a pro sports team could play in. Theres also the Ellenton ice complex. Also, the Mangrove towers, then around Ellenton Mall, a few high rises being built could happen, new people moving in due to insanely cheap costs of course (not current present moment cheap, let it drop way more first lol). Maybe even rebuild some of Palmetto too. Just think of how well this idea can sell, Bradenton small beach city, then over the beach, the new city emerging. I think the area has enough mom and pop businesses to try and build a little nest before it starts all up. An ice cream place in Palmetto, a ribhouse, a few antique shops, keeping the small town feel while bringing new creative people in and building a city, not eliminating much besides undesirable places. Three Oaks bar is also a nice little joint with a good cheeseburger.. that could even get some student type people in there to hang out. All this is is ideas though.. it won't be the next NY, but it will I think altogether get 200,000 + people in this North River City situation and may be recognized nationally as a new city. Who knows right? In 10 yrs, never know what they'll get done developing. I could see the Parrish downtown becoming a strip full of bars with live music too and shops/restaurants NOT FOR A LONG LONG TIME THOUGH. It might be on the idea of Lakewood Ranch only better since it seems LWR draws an even snobbier clientel. Be prepared though, before all this takes place, you might get a growing hispanic population bringing maybe a big hispanic music scene since its getting so cheap or maybe young rappers will be coming out of here or something. It will by no means be known as an alternative music place with hip record stores and clubs.. if so, its 10 yrs away or more.

As far as you settling here though, the future is really slim for the next 5 yrs and you made a smart move. All this stuff Im mentioning would be way after.. too late to wait as far as I see it. Even though I may think all this for the future, it doesn't mean I am willing to wait either, I'm not. I want in Tampa/St Pete area as soon as I can be.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:34 PM

Well we thought exactly that, the houses plummeted like rocks.. much more so than in other areas. This was a red flag.. we bought in another area and are super happy. I do see why many people like it, and perhaps if i was settled there during this crash it wouldn't seem like such a big deal. After all, its your neighborhood and you are surrounded by your neighbors, friens and have your comfort zone (for those living there now, I mean)..Who is moving into those homes now, at such horribly low prices? I have known a few people who have moved quickly out of Parrish--A bit off topic but another area that seems to be in the same situation, NORTH PORT. Ive heard not great things, we looked out that way at one point when it was the big hype and checked it out later and WOW what a diff. The town had all potential, and suddenly had builders pulling out, commerical and residential. Again, look at the superb location, great proximity and new schools- but houses plunged tremendously in that area as well and it brought in undesirable clientle IMO..now that area at least became a bit more built up before coming to a hault (this is all just my thought, many people will argue) but still. It has really drawn my eye to the pitfalls of buying in a new area, especially in this economy. I stick with developed communites, in developed areas, that's just my preference. Those that have purchased homes in these areas could say "I love it here.." all they want, and perhaps that's true. However, how many people really have the luxury of just picking up, selling their house and pulling their kids out of school because things are changing a bit?? Maybe some can, and some will-but IMO there are more that will stay for financial reasons or for convenience...

And as for LWR- Good grief don't get me started. I ran the other way from that area.. sure, many nice people live there and its a cute little family neighborhood-- but is it a coincidence that this "master planned community" is a CDD, and just so happens to be thriving among economically devestated communites, that do not have CDD FEES?? There are many other communites similar to LWR that do not have CDD fees, and they can't seem to beat the struggles of today. Im sorry, but I do not want the area where I live to be dependent on my financial support in such a crucial way. Paying association fees are one thing, but I have my limits. I wonder if LWR was no a CDD, and never was..would it be another Parrish???

Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Well we thought exactly that, the houses plummeted like rocks.. much more so than in other areas. This was a red flag.. we bought in another area and are super happy. I do see why many people like it, and perhaps if i was settled there during this crash it wouldn't seem like such a big deal. After all, its your neighborhood and you are surrounded by your neighbors, friens and have your comfort zone (for those living there now, I mean)..Who is moving into those homes now, at such horribly low prices? I have known a few people who have moved quickly out of Parrish--A bit off topic but another area that seems to be in the same situation, NORTH PORT. Ive heard not great things, we looked out that way at one point when it was the big hype and checked it out later and WOW what a diff. The town had all potential, and suddenly had builders pulling out, commerical and residential. Again, look at the superb location, great proximity and new schools- but houses plunged tremendously in that area as well and it brought in undesirable clientle IMO..now that area at least became a bit more built up before coming to a hault (this is all just my thought, many people will argue) but still. It has really drawn my eye to the pitfalls of buying in a new area, especially in this economy. I stick with developed communites, in developed areas, that's just my preference. Those that have purchased homes in these areas could say "I love it here.." all they want, and perhaps that's true. However, how many people really have the luxury of just picking up, selling their house and pulling their kids out of school because things are changing a bit?? Maybe some can, and some will-but IMO there are more that will stay for financial reasons or for convenience...

And as for LWR- Good grief don't get me started. I ran the other way from that area.. sure, many nice people live there and its a cute little family neighborhood-- but is it a coincidence that this "master planned community" is a CDD, and just so happens to be thriving among economically devestated communites, that do not have CDD FEES?? There are many other communites similar to LWR that do not have CDD fees, and they can't seem to beat the struggles of today. Im sorry, but I do not want the area where I live to be dependent on my financial support in such a crucial way. Paying association fees are one thing, but I have my limits. I wonder if LWR was no a CDD, and never was..would it be another Parrish???
Well TBH I dont think even in Bradenton/Sarasota, homes are dropping like flies as fast as they are up this way. The cheapness will eventually draw though even if it takes 10 yrs or so to start something.
I see the reggaeton/rap scene getting bigger in Palmetto, and I also see it getting even more ultra conservatives that Sarasota/Tampa/St Pete don't want OR the fact they dont wanna pay the taxes and higher cost of living of those areas, so they'll all come to Parrish in droves. I think a city can be formed with the conservatives and the minorities and blacks who come and those Manatee art students will grow up and flee to St Pete like the bright flight movement indicates. This area will lose all its bright people and be replaced with nex and nix lol.
Then maybe after 10 yrs or more, a new crowd discovers it, see it has potential, then what already formed the city will be leaving and the process of city building will repeat itself I think here so the cycle will continue.

Tell me a tad about North Port. I know its there ,but wasnt sure homevalues fell there as bad as Parrish.

I love the idea of moving to developed areas. Its too risky to move to an unproven community where many school generations haven't even graduated from yet because of the baby like phenomenon that the community still is. Like my grandparents suburbs they moved to a long time ago after WW2, those are established places not far from the city. They are much much nicer and real.

Whatever CDD stands for, I dunno, but it looks like putting a fee like that on could be a debatable argument if it makes the area better or not.. It looks like they are cheating somehow though as it looks to still be booming while Parrish looks dead still. You might be onto something big here. Theres a glitch somewhere maybe. If it didn't have this CDD fee here, I think it could be another Parrish type place. I mean LWR has a town center now, restaurants, and its not too far from University. It was once a castaway community, but since its been around (although not long so it still isn't too original), but its gaining a tad more relevance.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:10 PM

You're right, homes arent dropping too badly in the Sarasota area in comparison to Parrish or North Port..We just bought in NICE area of Bradenton and bought a foreclosure. We could have found a lot more for our money in an area like Palmetto or North Port, but have found the community and surrounding areas to be very suburban like..The average home cost for a regular sale is currently around $250 in this area.
North Port: It was once a hot spot, located just outside of Sarasota it was supposed to be the next big city. Home builders flocked to the area seeing its great potential with proximity to Venice, Sarasota and I75. They ended up with a great amount of communities starting out, popped up a city hall, a small police department and a library. The word of the area began to spread and people started moving in like crazy, enough for the town to receive funding to estabish a few schools within their town in Sarasota county. Then, the economy started to go downhill, builders stopped building, and all the anticipated grand openings of places like Buffalo Wild Wings, and movie theatres suddenly were cancelled. The town even had to make major cuts in the police department to compensate for lost funds.
LWR a CDD (Community Development District) requires fees from homeowners to assist in the development of the area. They decide they want to build a multiplex movie theatre, CDD fees go up and homeowners pay for the name Lakewood Ranch to become what it is today..I wouldn't want to move into an area that is dependent on the financial assistance of the homeowner to become established

Old 09-06-2010, 03:02 PM

169 posts, read 396,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Call this idea what you will, but it is on my mind.

I had a weird vision today.. it will take a long frikken time to happen since nothing is great here right now, but the North of the river communities such as Palmetto, Parrish, and Ellenton could indeed become one big city and these 3 towns could be sections of the city. Think about it. The city would be the right size for the right amount of busses to go around. They could build a few high rises in Parrish for housing or for even new jobs. It may take some getting worse beforehand though first. They are widening the roads and I am guessing they are building low income housing. They sure can't be the McMansion types thats for sure. It may take a long ass while, but down the line, I could see North of the river becoming a city. Its also so far from things which makes it suck ass to live in, but at the same time, its so far that maybe it could one day become its own city and more people will move in. Its wishful thinking, may never happen, but it makes sense locationwise if this ever were to become a new bigger city.
They should build a gay bar somewhere North of the river. Maybe downtown Parrish since I know theres a small older gay community in Palmetto. Gotta throw in a few bars, its just repressive and boring here and not a damn thing to do besides go the outlet mall. No parks to hang in either. If only I made more money, I could leave town more often.

Anyways, I think with time this could become a city. North River City could be the name of it. The population could even get up to 200,000 if enough move up here due to the cheap dropping house prices that only keep getting lower and lower. Like I said, if a place is that far from everything (20 miles to nearest city in all directions or right between Sarasota and Tampa/St Pete), that could make it become its own city with time. It may have no choice but to especially as people get growingly frustrated with having to drive long distances. Theres a small bike riding community here too so it seems, but they cant go many places since things are FAR. I see people riding in lines though in the morning when taking off for school now and then.

Who subscribes? Its good for everyone, its too built up to become totally totally all woods, yet its really far and not as built up as it could be, might as well go all the way and build it up is my view. Then the country people upset about the idea can get pushed further inland where the total boonies is. Thoughts?

I haven't read all the posts on this.

Yet horror or horrors, to my way of thinking.This earth is very increasing in population.It is great there is still left a place which is quiet and so full of Mother Nature.

The one thing I would like Florida to have is a good train syestem.
I have read it is being thought about but would be decades before it happens.

I suppose we all have a different thoughts on things.Coming from the overcrowded North,I love to see the Natute and peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area