Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 04:47 PM

192 posts, read 496,987 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a site map of a development near the end of Honore. The map shows a section which is now undeveloped labeled as " future commercial highway interchange potential multi-story" and another area labeled "future commercial activity center potential multi-story" These areas are between Honore and 75. They are outside of the site boundary line. Does anyone know what these could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times
There is a planned interchange around mile 203 on I-75 that would connect with an extension of Central Sarasota Pkwy [Honore to I-75] When [if] it will be constructed is anyones guess. There is also plans to add a lane [both directions] between mile 200 and 193

Old 04-29-2010, 07:35 PM

385 posts, read 1,159,970 times
I just read about this in the paper again the other day and I can tell you right now if Costco is negotiating with Westfield Sarasota Square, they will most likely be pushing the county to finally bring this to fruition as well.

I do not know how I feel about it yet, I do own a property in VW but do not live there. I go to the Potter Park Y daily and when I was younger lived with my parents in Palmer Ranch. It would be very convenient, though I would like to see some county traffic studies.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM

166 posts, read 604,419 times
To add on what everyone else said:

Those two things are zoning classifications for future use. They are not 'planned' projects waiting to be developed, but criteria for future use of the land. When, or if, the interchange is built, development such as restaurants, hotels, gas stations, probably offices, etc, would be allowed to be built there. I am not really sure the exact differences between the two zonings.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 PM

Ok, I did some research.
Per Sarasota County:
4.7.4. Commercial Highway Interchange District (CHI).
a. The CHI District is intended to create and enhance interstate interchange areas where automobile-associated traveler services are desired, such as one-stop complexes providing automotive services, motels, restaurants, offices, and similar uses are encouraged. The CHI District is necessary in order to promote and aid in the tourist industry, which is declared to be of importance to the economy of Sarasota County. The District recognizes that interstate interchange areas are unique, and therefore coordinated development, access controls, common access driveways, and frontage roads are required. Quality development shall be facilitated through design techniques and sufficient buffering

I can't find anything on the second one.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM

192 posts, read 496,987 times
Angelfish-I'm not too familiar with the area. Where would the Costco be and would the affect on VW only be the traffic, or would it be so close that it would have a bigger impact? (I realize, of course it would depend on where in VW you are)

As far as the CHI, it seems that they do their best to make it aesthetic and to have as little visual impact as possible. Is this just me hearing what I want to hear, or is Sarasota County historically been pretty fair about that?

Thanks for the great responses.

Lynne

Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 AM

385 posts, read 1,159,970 times
The buzz is that Costco may be moving into the old Dillard's location or knocking down and building new upon it at Sarasota Square Mall. This mall is existing now. The mall is like a buffer zone between 41 and most of PR. The very large YMCA, and Vintage Grand condos are parallel to the mall. Surrounding that buffer area PR stretches out into several communites (subdivisions).

I don't believe the area off the interchange will be inundated when built with retail/restaurants/gas stations. I think the interchange will be similar to the next one south (685) that is a two lane road that takes you all the way to the main thoroughfare of US41 with no commercial whatsoever on it. This will run through PR a successful master planned community and I am sure they will be working very closely with CHI.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Well, the future land use would allow retail/restaurants/gas stations. However, it is a small area that certainly wouldn't be inundated. Don't expect a super wal mart there or something.

681 (the one south) doesn't have anything now, but that might change. 681 currently only allows southbound 75 to 681 (or 681 to Northbound 75). It was built this way because at one time 681 was 75 when it ended there. So, when the 75 is widened over the next few years, the plan is to allow access on and off 681 in all directions. Add that with Honore intersecting nearby, it wouldn't surprise me to see some commercial development on 681 in the future. Then again, River Road doesn't have anything on it at the intersection.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:20 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,898,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
There is a planned interchange around mile 203 on I-75 that would connect with an extension of Central Sarasota Pkwy [Honore to I-75] When [if] it will be constructed is anyones guess. There is also plans to add a lane [both directions] between mile 200 and 193

these should've been done already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area