Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM

481 posts, read 943,977 times

Advertisements

I thought I might pick your brains for some ideas for tours and interesting (and free or cheap) things to do with my scouting troops around Sarasota. I have a Girl Scout Junior Troop (ages 9-12) and a Tiger Cub Den (ages 6-7). So far I have e-mailed Sarasota Airport, Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, and the Humane Society. I would love any ideas of either places to visit or tours or even guest speakers that might be interesting. Even things that might seem boring to adults (like touring Publix) is interesting to kids, so I'll take any idea.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
What about a tour of Spanish Point? Or maybe the Tropicana Orange Juice plant? The baseball stadium in Sarasota or Port Charlotte? A nursing home? Stardust Skating Rink? A bank? Ringling Art Museum night be a little heavy for the 6-7 year olds but the older ones might enjoy it. Maybe take a tour of Van Wezel performing arts. Of course, there's GWiz, Selby, Jungle Gardens, Babcock Wilderness Tours and Mote (the Sarasota Bay Explorers would pretty neat. They take everyone out in a boat) Since you're with scouts they may do it for free or a greatly reduced rate.

That's great you're so involved with the kids!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM

99 posts, read 390,645 times
desoto national park

De Soto National Memorial - Outdoor Activities (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM

99 posts, read 390,645 times
Just thought about Selby gardens too.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. Pack 100 actually has a picinic and hike planned for this month at DeSoto

I loev the idea about the orange juice plant and the bank and the stadium. I hadn't thought of those. MOTE and the boat tours charge quite a lot and even though they do give a reduced price for groups, it's not as reduced as one would think. It's too bad cause I have taken the boat tour and it was really great. I'll definitely call Selby because I want to get the kids involved in gardening and producing their own harvests.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Thanks for all the great ideas. Pack 100 actually has a picinic and hike planned for this month at DeSoto

I loev the idea about the orange juice plant and the bank and the stadium. I hadn't thought of those. MOTE and the boat tours charge quite a lot and even though they do give a reduced price for groups, it's not as reduced as one would think. It's too bad cause I have taken the boat tour and it was really great. I'll definitely call Selby because I want to get the kids involved in gardening and producing their own harvests.
My oldest daughter actually did a science experiment and it involved a bank. It was pretty interesting. Here's how it went. She interviewed 25 adult females, 25 adult males, 25 juvenile females and 25 juvenile males. She let them look at a picture for 10 seconds from the Internet of of a surveillance camera capturing a bank robbery. Then she took the picture away and gave each of them a series of 10 questions. i.e. what was on the baseball hat, did they have facial hair, etc. The experiment was to see what group of people was the most receptive and picked up on the most. It turns out adult females were.

In the process the she interviewed a bank manager and took a tour. Another thing she learned was that at each door there is a color strip that relates to height. So when the robber walks out the door the tellers can look at the door as he/she leaves and tell the height by the strip along the door. Many convenient stores have this as well. It was just really interesting.

Another idea is the county Sheriffs Dept or jail. I used to work there and can tell you there's never a dull moment. Also the Sarasota Hospital might be something to check out. What about a restuarant? Maybe Outback, Olive Garden, etc Maybe hang out at city hall with the mayor and see how they run the town?

Last edited by SoFLGal; 09-05-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 AM

I love that science project idea! And that is so interesting about the color strips for height. Now when I go into the bank I am going to have to look for them, lol.

In my research ont he Tropicana Factory (which I had no idea was even close to here) I also found an orange grove and prcosessing plant called Mixon's who give tours for like $3/kid. I also came upon a bakery in Lakewood Ranch called John Dough. I thought I would contact them as well.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 PM

96 posts, read 296,369 times
you might want to contact a local farm to see about harvest and all that. (someone put a link up here to a cyber farmers market about a month ago)
talking with other scout leaders would probably prove helpful
most state and national parks have, on their websites, lots of info., packets, study guides etc. for kids to enjoy and learn about their parks. might want to check to see what parks are in the area.
i recnetly posted a long list of children's activities and parks in the area. i can't recall off hand if there was antyhing on there; but it's worth a look.
i love scouts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area