Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 PM

490 posts, read 624,665 times

Advertisements

Hi there folks,

I've been lurking on this board for the last few weeks and really appreciate the civil and intelligent way everyone generally responds to one another here. My wife's company is relocating us to the area. They're in Port Charlotte and we're looking for rentals within 30 or so minutes of there. We're looking for a house with a fenced yard for the two of us and our 2 small dogs. 2/2 or 3/2, $900-$1100 preferably. Don't need a pool or spa or waterfront. I'm looking for suggestions on areas. North Port seems to have more rentals than some areas do. Very suburb-y. Venice looks beautiful but doesn't seem to have as many rentals houses. Lot's of condos. I'm in my mid 40's and my wife is in her mid 30's. We're not that into the night life but not quite ready for the shuffleboard set either We like good restaurants and enjoy live music. Sarasota seems a little far and maybe a little pricier but lot's going on. South of Port Charlotte doesn't seem too appealing. Not sure why.

These are just my impressions based on couch surfing from here in Western NC. I could be way off base.

My wife is flying down tomorrow and if anyone knows a good real estate agent that deals with rentals that would be a huge help. Any other advice on neighborhoods and such would be appreciated as well.

- Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Hi there folks,

I've been lurking on this board for the last few weeks and really appreciate the civil and intelligent way everyone generally responds to one another here. My wife's company is relocating us to the area. They're in Port Charlotte and we're looking for rentals within 30 or so minutes of there. We're looking for a house with a fenced yard for the two of us and our 2 small dogs. 2/2 or 3/2, $900-$1100 preferably. Don't need a pool or spa or waterfront. I'm looking for suggestions on areas. North Port seems to have more rentals than some areas do. Very suburb-y. Venice looks beautiful but doesn't seem to have as many rentals houses. Lot's of condos. I'm in my mid 40's and my wife is in her mid 30's. We're not that into the night life but not quite ready for the shuffleboard set either We like good restaurants and enjoy live music. Sarasota seems a little far and maybe a little pricier but lot's going on. South of Port Charlotte doesn't seem too appealing. Not sure why.

These are just my impressions based on couch surfing from here in Western NC. I could be way off base.

My wife is flying down tomorrow and if anyone knows a good real estate agent that deals with rentals that would be a huge help. Any other advice on neighborhoods and such would be appreciated as well.

- Chet
Port Charlotte is an older more established area compared to North Port. But, other than that the two communities are fairly similar. It is close to Punta Gorda (just south over the bridge). She should definitely have her agent take her there and show her some of what that area has to offer (restaurants / shops / festivals / etc...) There is an art festival at laishley park in PG, and a farmers market going on this weekend (although that is over already). Sorry, I didn't see the post earlier. I hope she has a great trip! The weather is awesome!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
If your wife will be working in Port Charlotte then I would suggest looking in North Port. Its a much younger population than Punta Gorda or Port Charlotte. Its also not to far drive to the beaches or Sarasota.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM

53 posts, read 124,292 times
Yes, Punta Gorda for sure!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,934,333 times
I would recommend checking out Punta Gorda but not to live there if you have a young family. That is, of course, unless you like shuffleboard.

I think the closer you get to Sarasota the better you'll like it but that's a drive from Port Charlotte.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 03-20-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 AM

490 posts, read 624,665 times
Thanks for the replies! She's looking in North Port at several properties today. She's driving around the area and getting a feel for different communities and driving distances but North Port is looking like it has the nicest houses in our price range. This will only be for a year. We're going to buy a place once we get a feel for the area. That just seemed like too big a decision in the time we had available. Thanks again! Fingers crossed

Old 03-24-2011, 06:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
North Port definitely has some nice, newer homes for rent. It is convenient to shopping, restaurants and the beach. North Port has grown over the years and has a lot of strip plazas with most conveniences that you would need. They also have the cheapest gas prices around. Check out the city of North Port web page: North Port, FL : Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area