Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 AM

8,298 posts, read 4,671,045 times

Advertisements

I just get the very basic minimum coverage that the state of Florida requires by law. I have found that Progressive is usually the best or near the best for this. Currently I got a rate slightly lower than Progressive from "Direct General". I got quotes from Geico, 21st Century, and all the others - they were all considerably higher for my needs. But like I said I just purchase the bare minimum that the state requires - so I'm not sure about how the rates would be for more intensive coverage. Please feel free to post your experiences in paying for car insurance in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

70 posts, read 176,194 times
Insurance agents, use them. It doesn't cost more and they know stuff like this...

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,004,461 times
I've had Allstate and Progressive in FL, then I got a much better deal from 21st Century. Better coverages for less $$$. Every insurance I've had down here jacks up the price after the initial 6 months, so we'll see if 21st does the same thing. If they do, then I go shopping again.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM

8,298 posts, read 4,671,045 times
I've talked to several insurance agents. But all are not equal. Many don't deal with one or another carrier (that another agent might deal with). Thus just because you get a quote from one agent doesn't mean that's the best quote out there. I actually recommend getting quotes from several different AGENTS - as then you are more likely to have a lower quote based on ALL OR MOST ALL the carriers. I have got quotes from several agents and the prices varied - thus in my original post I listed THE TWO CARRIERS that I have found to be the lowest priced for my needs. One of the agents I checked with dealt with Progressive but not with Direct General.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,730 times
I got my best price and policy from State Farm. Although my insurance rates doubled when I moved here from what I had been paying in OR where I bought the car.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 AM

51 posts, read 167,838 times
After getting quotes from some of the big names, I went through Great Florida Insurance of Osprey. They research more companies and found me the best rate. Seems that rates are all over the place here. I was really happy with my final quote. I also used them for renter's insurance. I highly recommend this place. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM

260 posts, read 909,218 times
I had Progressive and switched to Century 21 and saved $98 every 6 months. Century 21 also includes a roadside service and rental car in the cost @ no extra charge. I was also paying $3 a month for a cheap local roadside service on my cell phone.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:25 PM

177 posts, read 685,866 times
How about USAA (for those that qualify)? USAA has good rates in South Carolina and it will be the first company we will check out when we move to the Tampa area this summer.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:56 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Gosh, everyone seems to get different results. Is it maybe the car you are driving or depending on if you are a safe driver, or what kind of discounts you qualify for. I shopped around and found Allstate to be the cheapest. My boyfriend found that AAA could get him the cheapest rate. Not sure why there are so many differences in price for the same coverage.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

56 posts, read 236,511 times
I think it is a good sign that quotes are all over the board. It tells me that there is plenty of competiton and no collusion.

Respectfully Submitted,
Catsupbottle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area