Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,526 times

Advertisements

My orange tree is so full of oranges I'm afraid the branches are going to break off. I didn't have this problem when I first moved in because it had been somewhat neglected, but since I've been taking care of the yard, everything is growing like mad and there are a gazillion oranges on this tree. It is weighing down the branches and they are all hanging low. What do orange growers do to keep them from breaking or do they just know how much they can bare and do their own thing? Should I be propping the branches up so they don't break or should I not do anything? Anyone know the procedure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
I have never owned a fruit tree, but my neighbor does. It is important to prune or trim the tree so you don't get too many clusters of fruit. For oranges, you should be able to put your fist between the fruit. If not, you want to cut off the fruit and the entire stem. Use scissors or pruning shears cleaned with alcohol so you don't spread disease. Thinning should be done in spring or mid summer. You should only have one or two oranges per branch. That is all the weight it will support. Harvest after the oranges no longer have green on them. You can tell by look, size and feel. Enjoy!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
Make alot of orange juice!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM

52 posts, read 101,282 times
mmmm oranges....

Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
My orange tree is so full of oranges I'm afraid the branches are going to break off. I didn't have this problem when I first moved in because it had been somewhat neglected, but since I've been taking care of the yard, everything is growing like mad and there are a gazillion oranges on this tree. It is weighing down the branches and they are all hanging low. What do orange growers do to keep them from breaking or do they just know how much they can bare and do their own thing? Should I be propping the branches up so they don't break or should I not do anything? Anyone know the procedure?
If your worried, pick a few. If they aren't ripe - discard them. It won't hurt anything.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the info everyone....I think I may try and prop up the branches so they don't break. I hate to pick off precious oranges and toss them since they are all green now and one of these days they will be good to eat. But I don't want my precious tree to break in half either. Wouldn't you think nature would have this problem solved without me interfering? This tree was so full of blossoms I knew this would be the case later that all those flowers would turn into oranges and here it is, chock o block full. It's going to be a great winter!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 AM

493 posts, read 1,386,672 times
Hey ladyflyfsh send me some oranges up here will ya! I kind of wonder once you get to the picking season if you should prune the tree similar to an apple tree? Usually they don't allow apple trees to get too tall and they keep the branches shorter as to make them more stout to handle the weight. Just a thought.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

I actually did prune this tree this early spring and took off all the dead looking stuff and any new branches pointing up...I have to blame all these oranges on the Atomic grow I've been using....everything in my yard is leaping out of the ground! My bananas are now tall enough to stand under ...same with my papaya. And my bamboo is sending up huge new shoots....happy happy plants!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM

8,265 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
I actually did prune this tree this early spring and took off all the dead looking stuff and any new branches pointing up...I have to blame all these oranges on the Atomic grow I've been using....everything in my yard is leaping out of the ground! My bananas are now tall enough to stand under ...same with my papaya. And my bamboo is sending up huge new shoots....happy happy plants!
I had never heard of "Atomic grow" before you mentioned it. So at first I assumed it was just a brand of fertilizer. However I did a search on the internet and came up with this web site for Atomic grow: Atomic Grow puts Mother Nature in charge Is this the product that you used? In reading about it apparently it is not a fertilizer at all - but rather something that is sprayed on the foliage and it improves photosynthesis and growth. So this stuff really worked great for you?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Yes, It is really quite amazing. Everything in my yard has grown like mad. It is not a fertilizer and is totally organic. It's supposed to be a growth enhancer, designed to enhance the the immune system of your plants.

I had some problems with bugs on my bougainvillea earlier this spring and aphids on one of my hibiscus and I sprayed them and it completely took care of it. All the foliage is brilliant green and healthy and growing. I get mine from Crowley's Nursery. It's not cheap but you only use a little (1T / gal water) I have not sprayed for bugs at all and I do use fertilizer separately but this stuff is really great as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area