Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM

18 posts, read 23,743 times

Advertisements

We closed on our new Sarasota FL home last Friday.... !!!

Our first trip down to our new home will be 9/21-10/3, we can hardly wait. I have almost everything set-up security system, mowers, pool guys, painters, cleaning people, and a house concierge. The only thing I haven't set up is our cable/DirecTV and internet.

I was hoping to use a Cable/DirecTV and internet service that will allow us to put our service on hold (for a nominal fee) while we go back to MN in the spring/summer. Does anyone have any recommendations on that?? Does it exist in FL? I know this option exists in other states (MN and TX) but haven't found a service in Sarasota that advertises this option.

Also regarding internet, I need the fastest most reliable option without a phone line needed. We will be doing a lot of Skyping to our employee's. Any rec's on that?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM

547 posts, read 927,332 times
Here is some info regarding Comcast seasonal service: Florida Convenience Plan

We have been a Comcast customer for many, many years. I find their service to be reliable. We have Triple Play = TV, phone and internet.
My complaint is pricing. Part of it is my fault. I like a land line phone, and a lot of channels. We have had friends get so angry that they switched to either Direct TV or Verizon, but in the end the great offers revert to as high as Comcast after the initial period.

We use Facetime, the Mac version of Skype with the grand kids all the time. No problems with it using Comcast high speed.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Dish Network is awesome for TV service but I don't know if they have seasonal shutoff plans.

Verizon Fios internet is very fast and very reliable. It's fiber optic but not avail in all areas. they also have Fios TV available.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
We also have Comcast, 'seasonally': internet, phone, cable inc HD DVR on main TV and just std HOA bundle on other TVs. It ain't cheap even with the 'standard HOA community bundle' we must pay, before adding in the other stuff...but it is near bullet proof and we like it for the 5+ months we are in SW FLA.

The Comcast 'Convenience Plan' isn't really convenient or cheap, imo. Every year we do the 'put it on hold deal', and every year we have to call in and reassert that we did use the hold plan, and to quit billing us like we are still there/still using. Maybe just an 'annual mistake' on their part, or maybe they do it hoping no one will notice...our Comcast 'stuff', put to sleep, is ~$22 a month.

Our DISH here in the Mtns of western NC, (less 'stuff'), sleeps for ~$6 a month when we are in FL. Direct has a similar plan, here. Not a DISH or Direct user in SW FL, but I would think it is similar in FL, if one is chasing Sat vs Cable.

There are forums full of debates on 'which is best', but that isn't my point here...

As for Net speed, Comcast rips, imo and never a problem of it dragging or them holding it back/slowing it down, for now. That may come...Skype is cake. I use it all the time and I also routinely upload big batches of very large photos, eg 8 Mb photos x dozens, and it flies.

Not sure of your local situ, but sometimes CC is not quick in getting out to you to do the install, and some of their 'techs' are not very technical and basically hired guns, with no ammo.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 09-04-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 02:44 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,945 times
There's nothing faster than Verizons FiOS right now. Comcast is a second place runner up and is fast, but one thing to keep in mind is Comcast has bandwidth limitations if you like to download torrents whether legal or otherwise. Comcast does go up to 150Mbps but at a HUGE price.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM

Agree with beninfl, that VZ FIOS hauls fanny, but not available in some/many areas, imo.
I also am aware of Comcrap's throttling, but have never bumped into it/set it in effect, and I use a lot of bandwidth, though rarely streaming and no torrents.
BR, mD

Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM

398 posts, read 822,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
There's nothing faster than Verizons FiOS right now. Comcast is a second place runner up and is fast, but one thing to keep in mind is Comcast has bandwidth limitations if you like to download torrents whether legal or otherwise. Comcast does go up to 150Mbps but at a HUGE price.
COMCAST has suspended limits they used to be 250GB a month which is more than enough for most.

Questions and Answers About Our Data Usage Plan

Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Comcrap's new plan, in trial mkts, is simply a move to squeeze more dough out of some users, imo.
While the tiers seem reasonable for many of us Geezers, those with kids/grandkids or those that really stream, may bump into the ceiling on many of the 'normal use' tiers, imo.

Basically a new twist on ratcheting up revs and gross margins on the basic method by which cable companies deliver their stuff, all the while pitching more streaming, et al, so one may be using 'more', which will lead to paying for a higher tier, which leads to...

None of the Cable, Sat or 'content producers', are anyone's 'friend', or have any of 'our' best interests at heart. It is all about increasing margins on every facet of the multiple tiers and confusing 'packages' they all hump.
GL, mD

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
COMCAST has suspended limits they used to be 250GB a month which is more than enough for most.

Questions and Answers About Our Data Usage Plan
They didnt suspend it. They changed it.

XFINITY Internet Package New Data Usage Allowance
Economy 300 GB
Economy Plus 300 GB
Internet Essentials 300 GB
Performance Starter 300 GB
Performance 300 GB
Blast 350 GB
Extreme 50 450 GB
Extreme 105 600 GB

Old 09-04-2013, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 23,743 times
Thanks all!! We decided to go with Verizon for all. In case anyone else searches for this question, I did find out Verizon also offer a seasonal plan with a one time charge of $19.99 good forever.....not including equipment rental, but that will be a nominal fee. You can suspend the service anywhere from 1 month to 9 months, although any initial sign up promo's (such as free HBO for 24 months) will continue to count whether you are suspending it or not. We do have FIOS @ the new house which is awesome, we have been patiently waiting for it in MN.

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area