Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,923 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are both interracial and thinking about relocating from new york to sarasota, venice, north port, port charlotte area. We have 3 children age 7, 4, and newborn. I am interested in knowing about the schools and crime rates in these areas. I want to make sure that my children are comfortable and don't feel "different" for lack of a better word. Please be honest I wont take offense to any response. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I think you'd be fine in any of the areas that you mentioned. We live in North Port and my kids have many biracial friends. I never hear of any problems and as far as I know they fit right in. Most of the schools in the area are ranked pretty well. If you look in my profile you'll see a blog I wrote about schools in the area. It mentions many of the top schools and neighborhoods that coincide with them.

I'd be more concerned with finding a job when you move down. Are you transferring or will you need to find employment?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
We have been in our home in North Port for 6 months now and I can honestly say I don't think you have to worry about your children feeling different at all. Our neighborhood is a melting pot of races and ages. We have bi-racial couples and children, older folk and younger folk. Everyone gets along just fine. When I'm out walking I see all the children out playing together.

I have no children so can't comment on schools.

North Port is kind of "country" but yet close to everything. I'm very happy here and glad we didn't go somewhere else.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
If you go to the Florida Department of Education web site you can see by county and by school what grade they received as well as how many minority students are in each school.
http://schoolgrades.fldoe.org/default.asp

Check the School District of interest either Sarasota County or Charlotte County. Years 2010-2011 and click continue. It will take you to a list of schools. Click on the school of interest and it will give you the detailed information.

Charlotte County Schools web site - http://www.yourcharlotteschools.net/
Sarasota County Schools web site - http://www.sarasotacountyschools.net/

Both school districts offer a mixture of ethnic backgrounds. I was a teacher in North Port and Charlotte County schools and never found ethnic or racial issues to be a problem.

I have lived in North Port and Port Charlotte and the crime rate in both areas are low compared to larger cities within Florida such as the city of Sarasota or the city of Ft Myers.

Crime rates by neighborhood - you can search for any city
[font=Verdana]Sarasota - Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
[font=Verdana]Charlotte - Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 11,923 times
thanks for the reply, makes me feel alot better, i actually looked up the stats and the ratio of white children to everything else is very large, i lived in Georgia for a while and it was similar statistics and lots of racism, which is why I asked. looking online i saw that they say Venice Gardens is the best place in Fl to raise kids. Is there n e truth to that?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
The average age in Venice is 68. The average age in North Port is 38. Venice Gardens has a mixture of different types of families - retired, single, married couples, and families with children. Only about 16% of the homes in Venice Gardens have children under 18 living there. I have shown homes many times in Venice Gardens and 99% of the buyers have been retirees.

Right now there are 40 homes for sale in Venice Gardens. The prices range from $59,700 to $298,500. There are 2 bedroom up to 4 bedroom homes. The homes were built from 1959 to 1980, with the majority of the homes being built in the 60's and 70's.

Here is some information on Venice Gardens.

Venice Gardens
Situated in the heart of Venice, Florida, the charming community of Venice Gardens is considered to be one of the best places to live in the local area. Prospective buyers will find Venice Gardens directly across the street from the prestigious Pelican Pointe Golf and Country Club. The south bridge is only about three minutes away, while the Gulf of Mexico is less than ten minutes away. In addition, residents will be situated within just a short distance of the trendy downtown shopping district of Venice, along with chic dining opportunities.

Buyers who have been looking for the opportunity to choose from a variety of different housing styles and options, but who are also interested in living in one of the more prestigious neighborhoods in the area will find that Venice Gardens offers the best of everything. One of the most appealing aspects of this community is the privacy afforded to local residents. At the same time, the amenities of a larger city are only minutes away. Venice Gardens is truly an ideal match for buyers who want the best of everything.

The array of amenities available in the local area is simply astounding. Not far away from this community, residents will be able to enjoy numerous recreational activities such as golfing, boating, fishing, swimming, tennis and much more. If you are a boating enthusiast, you will find that the waterways not far from this community are second to none. Whether you are heading out into the Gulf of Mexico or you are simply cruising around the Intracoastal Waterway, you will certainly love the ability to gaze out over the crystal blue waters. Fishing abounds in the local area and residents are frequently able to haul in some of the most coveted game fish in the area. As a resident of Venice Gardens you will be situated within a few minutes of some of the best fishing in the world. Of course, the championship golfing located in the immediate area is considered to be some of the best in the world as well.

No matter what it is that you enjoy, Venice Gardens offers prospective buyers with the opportunity to enjoy an array of recreational activities. For the ability to live within an upscale and prestigious community while also taking advantage of a full array of recreational options, Venice Gardens is the ideal choice.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,142,555 times
i gotta honestly tell you that i have seen more interracial couples down here than i did when living in nj 2 years ago. i also see race relations much better here than it was up there. not what you would initially think about the south. people here seem to be a lot more tolerant and dont get hung up on that. i think they are taken more for who they are, than what they are. i was picking my kid up at football practice and a white kid was getting in this supercrew truck with 3 black kids. he yells to another kid, hey look at me i am a slave owner. on the surface this would seem pretty racial and would have probably prompted a riot in nj. look past what was said and you can see the humor and the fact that these 4 kids were actually good friends and i am sure the black kids would give it right back to their white friend.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM

56 posts, read 236,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilana101 View Post
Me and my husband are both interracial and thinking about relocating from new york to sarasota, venice, north port, port charlotte area. We have 3 children age 7, 4, and newborn. I am interested in knowing about the schools and crime rates in these areas. I want to make sure that my children are comfortable and don't feel "different" for lack of a better word. Please be honest I wont take offense to any response. TIA
I hope that you and your family find want you want and make a home here in either Charlotte or Sarasota county. Good families are welcome here. Based on the research you are doing, and the care you are expressing for your children, sounds as though you would be a great addition to whatever community you choose.

Respectfully Submitted,
Catsupbottle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area