Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose, an older home in Venice or new nice home in NP
I would take more home for the money in NP its close to Venice and you get more bang for the buck 7 36.84%
I would go with Venice, I know I will get less home for the dollar but its Venice 9 47.37%
I would have to see what the homes as Venice is not that much better than NP to just say its Venice. 0 0%
Either one would work for me, I don't see any differenece. 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 13,882 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice to make, an older home in Venice or a newer home with more amenities in NP [north port] which way would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
the old saying is its location,location,location but for me providing the area is nice its important what you get IN the home. after all thats where you live not on the street. so on that basis NP would win. besides its not that bad or Venice that much better IMO

Old 01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,375,292 times
It really comes down to YOUR choice what YOU want. We both love Venice but went for the bang for the buck in North Port. We did that remodel thing up North in our old home there and really didn't want to do it again here.

Don't let anyone decide for you, do what YOU want.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 13,882 times
Since I am not in the know about the areas, I will tell you what me and the wife like to do and maybe that will dictate what is better. We like to ride bicycle, Motorcycle, shoot at the gun range, take walks on the beaches, sit at local coffee shops on weekends and BS over a Latte. Go to Museums on occasion, see local community plays, and comedy clubs every now and then. We are looking at 55 not too far off and want to live in a community that is safe, quiet and that will be that way past when it does not matter to us. We care little for schools except how it would value in resale if we decided to move. That said does anyone see what is better for us? One of us has to find work for a few more years to get health care and keep a small income. She has worked as an escrow officer and personal banker, I have worked in sales in floor covering. I think she would have an easier time finding work as the construction market is down right now. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida420 View Post
Since I am not in the know about the areas, I will tell you what me and the wife like to do and maybe that will dictate what is better. We like to ride bicycle, Motorcycle, shoot at the gun range, take walks on the beaches, sit at local coffee shops on weekends and BS over a Latte. Go to Museums on occasion, see local community plays, and comedy clubs every now and then. We are looking at 55 not too far off and want to live in a community that is safe, quiet and that will be that way past when it does not matter to us. We care little for schools except how it would value in resale if we decided to move. That said does anyone see what is better for us? One of us has to find work for a few more years to get health care and keep a small income. She has worked as an escrow officer and personal banker, I have worked in sales in floor covering. I think she would have an easier time finding work as the construction market is down right now. Thanks for the help.
venice is only a car ride or pickup truck ride away. i would rather visit than live there. the lots are to small. the taxes to high. the traffic and congestion to much. thats the island. off the island there are some decent places with a little more room. but no one ever thinks of venice in any thought other than the island.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,553,563 times
I vote North Port. That is where we had a house built when we first moved to Florida. Venice was too crowded and too old for me. And it is a short drive to Venice from North Port if you want to go to the beach or downtown shops. Plus I got a job in North Port, so that helped in making my decision as well as the prices of homes were more affordable in North Port.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,091 times
What about Nokomis?
I like Venice but not to live there because I'm allergic to HOA's and condo associations :-)
Venice is classy, safe and much older population than North Port, home are older on the island but off island you can find some newer ones.
North Port is younger, less safe, newer house for your money but farther from the Gulf.
No easy answer. I think you have to look for the house you want and then see where that house is located and decide then.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,928,205 times
I guess it depends on what your agenda is. Are you looking at schools? What's your price range? You'll generally get more for your money in the NP area. Also you'll probably be looking at newer homes in NP, so your insurance will most likely be lower. There are very few areas in NP that are in a flood zone, that will be additional insurance savings.

I like what everyone has said and think both areas are worth investigating to find the perfect fit.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 PM

28 posts, read 43,163 times
Either is a good choise. Its like comparing an apple to an apple.
Come down, rent short term and explore. If thats not a possibility get the best deal out there, there are a few, and feel good about a good decision.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

4,619 posts, read 7,543,282 times
We like to ride bicycle, Motorcycle, shoot at the gun range, take walks on the beaches, sit at local coffee shops on weekends and BS over a Latte. Go to Museums on occasion, see local community plays, and comedy clubs every now and then.

Venice has some beautiful beaches, North Port requires more of a drive to get to a beach. The museums and comedy clubs are pretty much all in Sarasota, as are most of the theaters. There are a couple of motorcycle groups in Sarasota, you can find info on them at the Haps Honda website. North Port is 29 miles from Sarasota, so Venice would put you closer to some of the amenities you say you're looking for.

Somebody mentioned Nokomis. Nokomis has a lot of little non deed restricted neighborhoods. Some are nice, well kept. Others, not so much. Some of the more popular neighborhoods in Nokomis do have HOAs and deed restrictions.

It sounds like you may have a couple of potential neighborhoods or homes picked out and are trying to decide between the two. I would not only consider the price of the homes, I would also look at the surrounding area for "livability." Does the area meet your needs and wants in regard to shopping, restaurants, doctor & dentist offices, barber shops/salons and other necessities of life? Does the area meet your needs in regard to recreational activities? Things to do when you're tired of sitting at home? Once you figured out the answers to those questions, it may be easier for you to determine which of the 2 locations would work best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area