Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM

26 posts, read 35,583 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody!

Question. If I move to Sarasota from Plano, TX, will I have to get my car inspected? Is there a state inspection for cars in Florida and if yes, how much time would I have to do it? Here in Texas there are two stickers on the inside of the windshield. One shows the inspection was passed and the other one is showing one has paid for his or her registration for the year.

Mine are good until September 2012. If I bring my car to Florida and I would have to get it inspected, can I wait until September since my stickers are good until then or would I have to get it inspected within 30 days? I'm assuming one has 30 days to change over the plates and title and get ones new license just like here in Texas.

Another question. Here in Texas when one goes to renew their license or to get a new one because of an address change, they take the picture, cut your old license in two, give you the part with your old picture and a paper to go along with it in case you get pulled over. The paper shows you have a license but it hasn't been mailed to you yet.

See, here in Texas you have to wait for Austin to mail the new license to you. In kentucky where I'm originally from, it is done the same day. How does Florida do it? Do you get your license the same day or do you have to wait for it?

I may be staying at an extended stay hotel for months to make sure I am in the place that I will like so would it be possible to use an extended type hotel as an address? I was told I could here in Texas.

One last thing. My sister works in southern Indiana and she spoke with a guy recently who is from Sarasota. His job transferred him to southern Indiana but he is trying real hard to get back to Florida. My sister told him I was thinking about moving there and that I am trying to get a university job. He told her that there are many jobs in Sarasota but he wasn't specific. Is this true?

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,539,060 times
The state DMV web site will have the answers to your registration and drivers license questions: Car Registration Florida

The following is from the FL DMV site regarding out of state registration:

If you are moving to Florida, the state's law requires that you register a vehicle within 10 days after engaging in an occupation in Florida or enter a child in a Florida school. You need to first obtain a Florida drivers license. Next you need to obtain auto insurance from a company licensed in Florida. Many auto insurance companies licensed in Florida provide online services. At the DMV you'll also need your original out-of-state title and VIN verification.

When you are issued a motor vehicle registration you will receive a license plate, vehicle registration certificate, and validation decal.

Also on the DMV site is the information for drivers licenses and the Rules of the Road manual (which is available on line at this site):

Florida Drivers License Rules

As to jobs, the answer is a maybe, depending on the type of job you're looking for.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:28 PM

8,266 posts, read 4,666,091 times
There's no state auto inspections in Florida.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Drivers licenses are issued immediately in FL as well. This may have changed since I last moved, but I'm pretty sure that I did a change of address on line, and they mailed me a new license with my old picture on it.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
There's no state auto inspections in Florida.
No there aren't. And because of it people get away with driving on bald tires, bad brakes, non working signals, etc.

In addition to driving with no car insurance, suspended DLs, and no current registration.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Here is a great web site for information on moving to Florida. It includes drivers license, employment, taxes, schools, facts, etc.
State of Florida.com - Moving to Florida - Florida Relocation

Jobs are still hard to come by in this entire area. Larger cities tend to have more employment, depending on what type of job you are looking for. Here are some job search sites: www.employflorida.com, www.indeed.com, www.jobfocus.com, www.heraldtribune.com, www.careerbuilder.com, www.craigslist.com.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 AM

535 posts, read 1,031,796 times
Every thing will be done in one sitting with the DMV. You get your new license with a picture, your old one back with a hole punched through it, New plates and a temporary Title. New title gets mailed in a week or so. Also you can get your voter registration done. I found it very easy and quick

Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
You MUST have your birth certificates, a woman must show marriage licenses that show the name change. If she has had multiple marriages she must show each marriage license showing the change of events. No copies are accepted.

You also have to show several pieces of mail to your home address as proof of residency. So I don't know if a hotel would be acceptable.

Last edited by nphomeowner; 03-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: to add about mail

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,205 times
i guess im glad the state of florida protects our rights to screw up

Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM

26 posts, read 35,583 times
Thanks to all who contributed to my questions! I appreciate all of you taking the time to answer. Most of my work experience is in Education, specifically the admin side of universities. The problem is I have been unable to get back into that field. I have been living and teaching in Mexico City and came back to the states about six months ago and now I can't get back in. I may have to do retail. If Florida is anything like north Texas (Dallas/Plano area) I'm pretty much screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area