Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times

Advertisements

Is it that awful? Are no teachers happy?

THought about relocating to FL many times and maybe I'll have to attend one of the job fairs to see what they tell me.

The area of Sarasota COunty is the county I'm interested in for education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
I was a teacher for 15 years in New York State and moved to Florida to become a teacher. I taught at North Port High School in Sarasota County Schools and Charlotte Technical Center in Charlotte County Schools. I lost my job to budget cuts and have since become a Realtor. I substituted for awhile but no jobs came up for a Business Teaching position. I really did not care for teaching down here in FL like I did in NY. I will leave it at that.

Do you already have teacher certification in another state or are you looking to go to school to become a teacher here? Here is the web site for Teacher Certification in Florida - Educator Certification.

I know Charlotte County Schools will be laying off teachers again. I am not sure about Sarasota County Schools. They seem to have some openings.

Here is the link to Sarasota County Schools: Sarasota County Schools, Home

Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Just like everywhere else, we have had some tough fiscal times over the past few years. Teachers and para-professionals have seen their pay decrease, their benefits decrease, their cost of insurance increase, more and more pressure to not only teach to the FCAT but improve test performance, et al, and for many the joy of teaching has diminished. It's not that teaching in Florida is horrible. It's just that the realities that come with tough times have made teaching a less enjoyable field than it was before. I'm sure this can be said of most careers lately.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,832 times
Do you already have teacher certification in another state or are you looking to go to school to become a teacher here? Here is the web site for Teacher Certification in Florida - Educator Certification.

I know Charlotte County Schools will be laying off teachers again. I am not sure about Sarasota County Schools. They seem to have some openings.

Here is the link to Sarasota County Schools: Sarasota County Schools, Home[/quote]

Hello. I currently have a teaching certification in NJ and a master's degree in early childhood

Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post

Here is the link to Sarasota County Schools: Sarasota County Schools, Home

Hello. I currently have a teaching certification in NJ and a master's degree in early childhood[/quote]

Raven, you still have to transfer your teaching certification to FL. Look it up to see if NJ is a reciprocal state. You cannot teach in FL without teacher certification here. You can apply for it online and you have to have fingerprints done. That is what I did before I moved here. You will get a temporary certificate until you are hired somewhere. Florida requires continuing education in order to renew your license as well. They do not give permanent certification like I had in NY. I am not sure what the requirements are for Early Childhood Education. I transferred all three of my certifications - Elementary Ed, Business Ed and Marketing Ed.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 AM

913 posts, read 2,363,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Is it that awful? Are no teachers happy?

THought about relocating to FL many times and maybe I'll have to attend one of the job fairs to see what they tell me.

The area of Sarasota COunty is the county I'm interested in for education.
I had many job offers to teach in Florida over the past 20 years. I went to the job fair many times and received many job offers. The simple fact was I was not willing to take a 25% pay cut to live in Florida. So I teach in Ohio and live in Florida during the summers, winter break and spring break. To me, it had nothing to do with standardized testing or the current fiscal climate, those variables are everywhere. It had everything to do with the low pay scale. While the pay scales start at about the same after 20-25 years, Florida teachers are making considerable less than a teacher in Ohio (or most other states for that matter).

Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
because you are probably in a union that has the ability to negotiate contracts and benefits--where as FL does not allow that for its teachers
and FL is a Republican legislature/governor and those politicians put no faith in public education, don't want to tax people to raise salaries, benefits, or educational systems in general---they would love to outsource public education and turn it all over to private business which would in turn try to make a profit off education...
see how good the medical system in the US has gone since insurance companies started exerting most of the control???
that is what will happen with education if private industry take over public education---
don't kid yourself that what they (the people with this agenda) have in mind/heart is to improve education--that is lip service.
An ignorant population is one that is easily swayed and can't think beyond a sound bite...
that is what they want and they are getting it already to large extent...

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM

913 posts, read 2,363,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
because you are probably in a union that has the ability to negotiate contracts and benefits--where as FL does not allow that for its teachers
and FL is a Republican legislature/governor and those politicians put no faith in public education, don't want to tax people to raise salaries, benefits, or educational systems in general---they would love to outsource public education and turn it all over to private business which would in turn try to make a profit off education...
see how good the medical system in the US has gone since insurance companies started exerting most of the control???
that is what will happen with education if private industry take over public education---
don't kid yourself that what they (the people with this agenda) have in mind/heart is to improve education--that is lip service.
An ignorant population is one that is easily swayed and can't think beyond a sound bite...
that is what they want and they are getting it already to large extent...
I am wondering if this will continue when the common standards come online. Right now it is very hard to compare standardized testing from state to state, as they are all different. With common standards comparing states will be easy. If it shows that states with higher teaching salaries score higher than those with lower salaries, I wonder what the excuse will be then? We have heard the mantra so much that salaries do not equate to increased student learning, it is almost thought of as a fact. Anyway, not to hijack this thread, the bottom line is I could not afford to teach in Florida.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 15,372 times
I currently am a special education teacher in upstate NY. By looking online, I have realized that teachers in FL make a less than I do. I want to relocate and even though I like teaching I would be wiling to try a different career path. Any suggestions on a career in Florida I could look in to with a Masters Degree in Reading & Special Education that would pay more than a teacher.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,144,228 times
you cant tell from talking to the teachers down here that they are not happy. teachers up north are paid much bettter, have better benefits and to top it off tenure. however to speak to them they are miserable. we have not run into an unhappy teacher or one that was not willing to do anything needed down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area