Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,311 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For the past few years Heron Creek Middle School has offered a program called 21st Century, this program provides before and after care and has been a great resource for working parents. In the past you were able to drop off your child at 7:30am and pick up your child at 6:00pm from the school. Regular school hours are 9:30 am-4:15pm. This year just now, right before school begins i have been informed that this program will no longer be available to me. This year it has been decided that the program for before and after care will only be available by invitation only. Invitations will be sent to the parent of child who scored below assessment. So i made phone calls to every business in the town of North Port Florida and i have discovered no one who provides before care to the Heron Creek Middle school. My question now is what are the working parents who have utilized this program for so long now to do? Do i leave my 10 year old soon to be eleven, who is starting Middle School for the first year home and hope she makes it to the bus on time? This is just not an option for me as i will not leave my child and go to work without seeing her off. I have exhausted all my options and having such short notice i have no choice but to inform my employer i cannot come to work on time. This has been such a headache and a big stress as in today’s struggles for employment i am forced to take this risk with my job. I am posting this comment to ask is anyone else in North Port with a child in Heron Creek Middle School faced with the same dilemma? Looking for advice or anyone who may be starting a before care program for Middle School. (I did find and after care option in North Port but no before care options) Thank you in advance for any helpful information...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Northport Mom of two...[/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,372,326 times
I have no school aged children but sure understand your concerns. It's a shame that they are cutting you off with such little notice.

The only thing I can think of is maybe talk to some of your neighbors, maybe your child can go to their house in the morning when you have to leave for work and then go to school from there? Maybe someone that has kids and doesn't have to be at work early or a retired person that wouldn't mind a little company every morning.

Just a suggestion, I'd hate to see you lose your job because you actually care about your child.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
My step-daughter used to live in North Port and had a hard time finding someone to care for her son before and after school. He has autism and didn't do well in the before and after care programs. I used to be a teacher in North Port and I couldn't help her find a sitter either. The schools won't recommend anyone.

Here is a web site where she got sitters from. You can run a search and contact them to see if they have any openings. You will probably have to drive your child to their house and pick them up there. But the bus will pick up and drop off there too. You can search by your zip code to see if there is anyone in the area and you need to check the boxes that say Before School and After School Child Care Provider Search - SansWrite Public Web Portal

Another option is to try www.care.com. My stepdaughter has found a few people through them that she interviewed and she also used www.craigslist.com to post ads for a sitter.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,311 times
Thank you for the information it is very much appreciated! ) I will try this link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area