Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 41,297 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why there are so many houses for sale in Heron Creek. Are there issues with the community, town, location? Whats going on?

The houses for sale are less than ten years old and people are moving out already. By all accounts, it looks like a great community, why are people leaving and selling for such reduced prices after such a short period of time? Could it be Chinese sheetrock?

If anyone has any answers, please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM

137 posts, read 331,020 times
I don't think it's Chinese drywall. I've heard of homes over in Bobcat Trail that have the drywall problem but not Heron Creek. There are currently 40 listings in Heron Creek. I had a listing in Heron Creek, the seller told me that she was sick and tired of all the fees. There is a quarterly HOA fee of nearly $800. To buy in there, you also need to become a member of the club, plus pay a one time capital contribution. I just copied the following from the Heron Creek website to give you an idea of the costs associated with living there. I guess it makes sense if you are taking advantage of and enjoying the amenities, but if you are not then it makes little sense...

PLATINUM GOLF MEMBERSHIP:
  • Unlimited use of all Club Facilities: Golf, Tennis, Fitness & Social Activities.
  • Priority 14-day advance golf starting time reservations, and tennis court reservation privileges.
Refundable Membership Deposit: $10,000. (now DISCOUNTED to $3,000)
Monthly Dues:
Family - $452
Individual - $382
Executive Family (Age 21-54) - $312
Legacy Member (Age 76 and up) - $364
Yearly Food & Beverage Minimum*:
Family - $500
Individual/Executive/Legacy - $350
Optional Annual Trail Fee:
Family - $2,200
Individual - $1,625 (or) Daily Member Cart Fee: $19/$10
Complimentary USGA Handicap and Discounted Member Guest Golf & Tennis Rates.
SILVER GOLF MEMBERSHIP:
  • Unlimited use of the Club Facilities: (Tennis, Fitness & Social Activities), and have the following golf privileges:
    • 24 Rounds in Season (November through April) and unlimited golf from May through October.
    • The fee for golf is our Associate Cart Fee of $25 per round.
  • Priority 10-day advance golf starting time reservations, and tennis court reservation privileges.
Nonrefundable Initiation Fee: $2,500

Monthly Dues:
Family - $234
Family - $350
Complimentary USGA Handicap and Discounted Member Guest Golf & Tennis Rates.
BRONZE MEMBERSHIP:
  • Unlimited use of the Club facilities (tennis, fitness and social), and have the following golf privileges:
    • 24 times per year (12 of those in season) subject to course availability and a payment of the Member Guest Rate, and 7-day advance tee times.
  • Ten day advance tennis court reservation privileges and reduced tennis guest fees.
Nonrefundable Initiation Fee: $2,000
Monthly Dues:
Family - $104
Individual - $88
Family - $250
Individual - $150

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
There is always a turnaround in Heron Creek. Many residents are snow birds. I agree with StepHome, the fees are so high and many people just can't afford or justify the fees when they are only here a short time. It is a very nice, well cared for, gated, golf community with a lot of fantastic amenities, but you pay dearly for the amenities. The issue is not Chinese Defective Drywall.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 13,846 times
Default Moving to Heron Creek

We have been visiting family in Heron Creek for almost 10 years and bought a home there in 2011. We are retiring and moving down "full time" in May. Heron Creek was always our first choice for retirement, but we wouldn't have been able to afford to buy there - if it hadn't been for the housing crash. The quarterly fee is higher than some communities, but it does include lawn maintenance, irrigation and basic cable. (After maintaining a yard for the past 25 years, we had no desire to cut grass or pull weeds.) My husband and I are both golfers - so joining the Country Club wasn't an issue. (I do think requiring membership does hurt home sales, however.)

We know a few people who have recently put their homes on the market. Most of them decided to do so either because of health reasons or in order to move closer to family/grandchildren. I think that's pretty typical of Florida.

We have found the people in Heron Creek and North Port to be very friendly and we love the golf course.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Actually, if there is only about 40 homes for sale, I wouldn't see that as excessive for a development of 675 homes.

Not being a golfer, I personally wouldn't consider any golf community.

But if you really love golf, and don't mind paying for it,, Heron Creek is really nice.

Mikey

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 41,297 times
@golfengels

Thanks for your post.

Last year when visiting Venice, we decided that's where we wanted to retire, but we saw online how much more housing and amenities at Heron Creek you get for the money. It intrigued us compared to Venice.

But we also heard that North Port had some issues with crime, infrastructure, rapid expansion, adding schools, and the possibility of major tax increases. Whereas Venice does not have these issues. But when you compare what house you can get in Heron Creek as opposed to Venice, it's a hard call. What are your thoughts?

Secondly, my wife is not near retirement age, so she may have to get a job. In Venice, there were many jobs for elderly care. Do you feel that opportunity exists in North Port? Hopefully in private elderly care.Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
North Port borders Venice so her commute to work if it were Venice would not be bad. Crime in North Port doesn't seem to be any worse than any other Sarasota County town, in fact maybe less than some. I have no data or links as proof, just my opinion after living here for two years. As always, there are good and bad areas in every town including Venice.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM

56 posts, read 236,377 times
I live in Island Walk at West Villages. That means I am in the city of North Port, but have a Venice mailing address. Do Not know why it is this way, but it is at least for now. I think North Port, for whatever reason, has an undeserved rep. Maybe that is a hold over from the old General Development days. I am very happy with my decision to live where I do. Island Walk is a great community, with numerous amenities. That fact is not impacted by whether you call it Venice or North Port. Check it out and decided for yourself. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM

137 posts, read 331,020 times
Both Venice and North Port score 4 in violent crime, on par with the US average of 4, and in Property crime Venice is 4, North Port 5, with the US average at 4. It also says that the median price home in North Port is 102,800 and in Venice 153,100. Venice itself (City of Venice) has about 22,000 people, North Port close to 60,000. The stats are just for the City of Venice in this comparison, it lists both South Venice and Venice Gardens separately. Here is the link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You can definitely get more home and a newer home for your money in North Port. As NPhomeowner wrote, Venice is the next City so it's not a far commute. North Port certainly has it's share of elderly care opportunities, as does Port Charlotte which is the next City (actually, Port Charlotte is technically not a City, with a population of over 55,000, it's an unincorporated census designated place) to the south.

Infrastructure. North Port has road issues, many miles of roads need repaving. The roads are fine in Heron Creek as it's a newer built community as well as Sumter Blvd. which is one of NP's main roads. Voters just approved a road bond referendum which is "supposed" to cost each homeowner about $46 per year in added taxes. Venice has roads to maintain too, but North Port's challenge is it's vast size.

Rapid expansion. the factors that led to North Port's "boom" and a tripling of the population over a decade, from about 20,000 to nearly 60,000 are still in place....and that is that you can get a far larger and far newer home for less money in North Port than in Venice or Sarasota but still be in Sarasota County and part of the Sarasota County school system plus a close enough drive to enjoy all that the rest of the County has to offer.

Another thing to consider when looking at homes is the cost of homeowner's insurance which will cost you more year after year for older homes and also in closer proximity to the water. Please feel free to read my blog, I wrote an entire article about this subject called "Price of Paradise".

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:33 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 AM

1 posts, read 10,378 times
Default My view

Realtors will tell you that Heron Creek home resales come in at the lowest $ per square foot of any gated golf community in the area. Which attracts buyers obviously. Living is easy here as there are many retail outlets doctors, etc quite close by: Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Publix, etc. The golf situation has had its ups and downs many changes of people etc. 27 holes means they should have 550 golf members but its now at around 300. Several of my neighbors left due to golf course issues.

North Port itself is poorly governed due to incompetents on the city commission, but needed services are delivered OK. Police presence is heavy. Schools are to be avoided if possible. Hope this hepps.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area