Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 AM

398 posts, read 822,395 times

Advertisements

What is this insect I captured, I took 7 pic small-large.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dotbowe...80954027448802

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
looks like an American cockroach
American cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 AM

398 posts, read 822,395 times
That isn't good we have our place sprayed quarterly (allegedly) Any recomendations for ongoing service & approx cost? Thanks

Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd show that picture to the people claiming to be spraying your place and ask them what is it and why is it there.
If you found it outside its probably just a one off flyby and nothing to worry about unless you find more, if you do see another one instead of picking it up follow it to see where it goes,it may lead you to the mother-lode..

Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 AM

279 posts, read 577,805 times
yup, definitely an American Cockroach. i wish you put in the title that it was squished though, the photo turned my stomach a bit :P

You can get a big RaidMax with a sprayer and spray the house yourself. When we first moved in we saw some and when we did big yard work we same some more. I put the dog in the crate and while the kids were in school after dropping the kids at school I sprayed all the perimeters and in crevices. I waited a while for it to dry before letting the dog out. It really worked! Didn't see one for a few months. Then we found a dead one, and another dead one. Seemed they were trying but the Raid was still working. I sprayed again and haven't seen one again. Now I will spray every few months with a reinforcement before house guests come. lol Anyway - This is the one I used, it may have been someone on here that recommended it doing this and I am glad I took the advice. I live in a woodsy spot and bugs come with the territory but I don't want them IN the house! Purchase the Raid Max Bug Barrier Pesticide, 64 oz for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
So far no need for an exterminator! What a savings!

Also, you can find out where they hide if you see little black dots, almost like coursely ground black pepper - that's their droppings. Gross. But if you see it you know they are holed up nearby.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
every where else its american cockroach, but here its just a palmetto bug. lol

Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSnowbirds View Post
That isn't good we have our place sprayed quarterly (allegedly) Any recomendations for ongoing service & approx cost? Thanks
We pay $75 quarterly, he sprays inside and out and really haven't had ANY issues and we are heavily wooded around our home. We use Hughes.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Many of my neighbors pay for pest control, both home and yard. But many are not getting the service for what they pay. Many times I've seen the truck pull up to the house, the guy sits in his truck for ten minutes writing on a clip board and drives away. I've seen a yard and lawn care spray guy drag a hose to the rear of the property, spray a spot or two, drag the hose back to the truck, recoil it, sit in the truck for ten minutes filling out paper on a clip board and drive away.
Services rendered bill in the mail a few days latter.
Another problem is that all the chemicals that use to be effective have been banned by the EPA. The chemicals being used now are not very effective. But they all have a fancy name ending with 'thrin'.
To not get ripped off, do the job yourself. You can buy ant & Roach spray or foggers at Publix or Home Depot.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 PM

338 posts, read 1,012,373 times
Squished palmetto bug . Even if you have a service this is Florida, a very buggy state. IMO it is safer to kill the few you find in your home without all the chemical warfare. If it kills the bugs it can kill you. My bet is the bugs outlast us. I occasionally get these in my house and the cats have a field day getting to play hunter.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,920 times
It appears asymmetric- the number of legs is different on the 2 sides. Did you squish it before the photo. If its a cockroach- boric acid sprinkled behind appliances where your dog can't get to it is effective (at least in NYC). Totally gross wherever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area